MikroTik App

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HOW TO SETUP VPN CLIENT ON MIKROTIK

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello all,
I want to know how to setup vpn client in mikrotik. My connection uses 3G USB and i have setup the apn and other things needed and the dhcp is already running. How to i setup vpn on the mikrotik, so that my connected systems-pc will use the vpn to connect to internet thru the 3g usb.

If i install the vpn client on windows on each pc, the connections go thru, but i want the mikrotik to do it without me installing the clients on the window pc.

Thanks and waiting for your help.

ohara

Re: HOW TO SETUP VPN CLIENT ON MIKROTIK

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

A few questions may help to understand your goals a little better.

1) Do you want your Mikrotik router with the 3G usb dongle to act as a VPN client, and use it to connect to a VPN server?
2) Do you want that all computers which are connected to the 3G Mikrotik router have access to the services which are offered by the VPN server?

dunga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks ohara,

Just look at the senario, the mikrotik router access the internet thru the #G usb dongle, but i want to use it as a vpn client so that the computers will connect and access so sites which cannot be accessed thru the 3g usb dongle. Hence, the router to be vpn client, so that i cant start installing d vpn clients in all the connected pc.
A few questions may help to understand your goals a little better.

1) Do you want your Mikrotik router with the 3G usb dongle to act as a VPN client, and use it to connect to a VPN server?
My Answer: Yes, I want all my connected pc to connect to the vpn server and other sites as well.

2) Do you want that all computers which are connected to the 3G Mikrotik router have access to the services which are offered by the VPN server?
Yes

ohara

Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 pm

In this case, is there already any VPN server that you want to connect to? If yes, has it been already configured? What type of VPN server is it (pptp, openvpn, etc.) and what hardware is it running on? Thanks.

zowien2000
just joined

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 am

I am facing the same issue ... and I have no experience in dealing with mikrotek at all ..... I am having a windows 2003 server with ISA 2006 installed on it .... which I would like the mikrotek to get connected to it as a VPN client
what i want to know is the following :
-Is it going to be reliable to use the 3g dongle as a permanent way to connect the router board and all workstations connected to it to the above mentioned server without continuous disconnections.
- What is the best router board model to be used in this kind of infra structure.

Thanx in advance for your help