Community discussions

MikroTik App

gjelsvik
just joined
Topic Author

Recommended config for short distance p2p.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Im setting up a 200m link with 2x RB711GA 5Hn, the antennas are StationBox Mikro, they have dual polarity, so does the RB711.

We have very good line of sight, the signal im seeing at the client end is tx/rx -57dbi/-56dbi

I have read the guide "Transparently bridge two networks using MPLS", but currently the setup is a traditional "AP and Client" link with ethernet to wlan bridges.
Wich is better? In my Lab i managed to get 300/300 Mbit in TX/RX rates, with bandwidth test getting 150-200mbits.. This was last year. Now when everything is installed at the locations, im getting 65/65 mbit at tx/rx rate. And the UDP bandwidth tests show 40-50 Mbit.

Should i revert back to the mpls/vpls config? Why arent I seeing the speeds that i should?

Also, what protocol should I be using? NV2 or Nstreeme? My tests shows nv2 gets slightly better speeds, but my latency is all over the place, with 2% loss. Nstreeme gives a very stable 4ms latency.

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Recommended config for short distance p2p.

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 am

There is 2 thing to do here. algin algin and more algine at antenna. Also nv2 or nstreme/802.11 is a bit of what you want. low latency or high speed.

second to do here, is to use some freq that have the less amount of noice, AND! is compatible to antenna. (im not sure of the stationbox, but MT SXT is best around 5500) look at antenna pattern and the doc of the antenna. A short link, is also no good description. A short link. can be 30 meter, or 4 km. Depends on what the use is. I short link for my p2p is 5 km. A long link for sxt and omnitik is 4km.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:56 am

Turn tx power down. 2 to 4dB will be plenty.

Anything more and you will be aiming at the side lobes and not be able to tell.

gjelsvik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 pm

There is 2 thing to do here. algin algin and more algine at antenna. Also nv2 or nstreme/802.11 is a bit of what you want. low latency or high speed.

second to do here, is to use some freq that have the less amount of noice, AND! is compatible to antenna. (im not sure of the stationbox, but MT SXT is best around 5500) look at antenna pattern and the doc of the antenna. A short link, is also no good description. A short link. can be 30 meter, or 4 km. Depends on what the use is. I short link for my p2p is 5 km. A long link for sxt and omnitik is 4km.
Ok I can try to align more, but as far as i can tell, they are pointing head-on to eachother. the length i have mentioned in the first post, its 200m.

Im using 5180 frequency. There are no other 5ghz wlans in many miles. One of the antennas, are mounted on a wall, where theres a lot of tin-plated roof above. Maybe this can create noise/reflections.

gjelsvik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:23 pm

Turn tx power down. 2 to 4dB will be plenty.

Anything more and you will be aiming at the side lobes and not be able to tell.
This I have tried by upping the antenna gain, but this had no effect what so ever on the signal strength.

today the link went down. Im not at home so i cannot tell what happened.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:21 pm

You dont need much gain at this distance.

You could use a length of wet string as an antenna and it would work.

What signal strength do you have at each end?

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:16 pm

As noted above, turn down your tx power at both ends. Assuming you have something like 16dB of antenna gain, putting more than 10dBm of tx power into them for such a short link will be too much. Sometimes just turning the antennas off angle and working the side lobes is what is required at short distances. 200m is not really that short.

Use NV2 with VPLS. It has the best performance. Make sure to set the NV2 distance on the ap to 10km and set the timing to 2ms. Use security. I usually turn on AES in the security profile even though it is not used by NV2, so if I do go 802.11 it is secured and MIMO speeds work.

The RB711 boards are prone to be flaky. I would definitely check to see your CCQ on all chains is close to 100 and your SNR is good. We often have seen good SNR on one chain, but not the other, this will result in low CCQ. Don't know why this is. If we swap antenna ports around, the low chain SNR follows the port, not the antenna, so we know that the RF cables, etc are good. Something wrong with the RB711 radio. Sometimes see this on R52Hn cards too.

You should get TCP throughput of 120-160Mbps with a good link. Trying to get more than this seems to be just luck more than anything else. If the stars align, the radios are good, etc.

gjelsvik
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:16 am

My Rate Selection was set to Legacy, by changing this to Advanced, and bu setting HT Guard interval to ANy, and removing all AMPDU priorities except from 0, the speed is now 180/180 and the bandwidth test showing 140Mbit.

I cannot see any option to set timing and distance.

Overall CCQ is 78% (after lowering my tx power)
tx/rx ccq is 49%/10%

Before lowering gain, it was CCQ Overall : 78%
tx/rx ccq: 49%/3%

Signal strengths are: ch0 61/69db and ch1 58/56db

whatda
just joined

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi DogHead
I am trying to setup VPLS bridge but I can find that know a lot about them ?
And you seem to know what you are talking about so if you have a minute have a look at my settings http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... pls+bridge
and see what the hell I am doing wrong

Thanks in advance