MikroTik App

tobias
just joined
Topic Author

distance

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi,
I didn't get much response in my other thread so I'll try to reprhase :D

How much distance are you supposed to get in reallife on a 7.4dbi omni with the RB/019 integrated AP/backhaul unit (atheros AR5213 card). And using 19dbi flatpanels as the CPE, with direct line-of-sight?

I currently get less than 500m. Noise floor in the omni is -79dbm. Signal in the CPE at 500m is -65dbm but it still does not want to associate......
is this normal? There are only 2 or 3 other APs in the area.

Thanks!
regards,
tobias

rickard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:35 pm

I Think you will get at least 3-4 km distance.

But if you have -76 in noise something is wrong!. i get at the maximum
-92 ! and then i have 3 diffrent GSM and 3 G tellcos 4-5 meters away :-)
and a 2.4 Ghz WISP ... but they ar running on V-Pol and im running on H-pol sectors 13 dbi....

So check your pigtails and cabels if not that check the radiocard.

//Rickard

tobias
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Ok thanks. So at least I know I'm not completely crazy :lol:
now offcourse my problem is that the AP is in use so can't remove it and don't have a replacement at the moment...oops.

Incidently, the noisefloor on the backhaul is -101, but I don't know if it's only this good because it's a flatpanel or what? I I get -101 on the flatpanel should I also get -101 on the omni? or is there a formula I can use to calculate what the noisefloor should be in the omni?

regards,
tobias

bushy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 pm

I think if you don't have a hardware problem there must be a source of noise in roughly the opposite direction to your backhaul link,the panel would not pick up much from behind it.
Maybe as a test connect another panel to the cable going to the omni, scan around with it and watch the noise level