Community discussions

MikroTik App

panthoimeetei
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth segregation Need Help

Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi

I am very new to mikrotik device and I am facing problem in segregration bandwidth.

I have 4Mbps speed 1:1 lease line, and i have a RB2011LS-In routerboard.

my problem is i need to distribute 1 mbps and 2 mbps 1:1 lease line to another 2 person.
Please help me on segregation the bandwidth.

Thanks in Advance

Kh. Panthoi

wirelesswaves

Re: Bandwidth segregation Need Help

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:24 pm

If you are suggesting that the 2 clients have 1Mb and also the other has 2Mb, then you only need 2 simple queues

Give each client an IP address

Then give one Max limit 1Mb and give other client Max limit 2Mb,

put those rules in your gateway router.

panthoimeetei
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:46 pm

Is there any difference between the queue bandwidth limitation and limitation on the interface of the router where the client is connected.

Thanks
Panthoi

wirelesswaves

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi, it will achieve the same effect, but I wouldn't say that it was the correct way to manage things.

The best method would be in the gateway router, and/or further control at the AP. That's where you will achieve the best bandwidth distribution control.

I use localised control ie simple queues in the client device for regulating their service when they maybe start to download stuff that would, if left unchecked cause disruption to the rest of the network.. ie p2p filesharing.

I would recommend that you keep it that way, else it may get too complicated and difficult to manage.

qos by either simple queue or queue tree +pcq in gateway both type of service and customer type (service catagory)

simple queues in their cpe switched on and off by scripts to control p2p maybe during the daytime.
EG. I use layer7 protocol bit-torrent checks and port control etc.

others may have entirely different views, but this way works for me.