MikroTik App

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

wlan with multiple AP + seamless roaming

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello,

my plan is to cover a building with wireless signal the way that users would not loose connection when they switch between access points. I plan to do this with Mikrotik equipment as well as with equipment from other vendors if possible in combination with MT. Total number of access points will be somewhere between 5 and 8 - all on 2,4GHz. 802.11n is not mandatory, 802.11g is. All access points can be connected to a managed switch, cabling is not a problem. The number of concurrent users can reach up to 500 devices, mostly mobile phones and tablets (android, ios, blackberry, windows phone) doing everything what the usual mobile users do (web, mail, social networks stuff with photos, videos ...).

I have done this in the past on different locations by simply connecting access points to a switch assigning them all to same ssid and different not overlaping frequencies regarding positions in the building, but this setup disconnects users when they switch between access points and also roaming is not something native to older devices.

My question is what would be the best way to achieve transparent seamless roaming for my clients. Any suggestions that would improve my usual setup are welcome. I would also what setting would you recommend tweaking for optimal performance with a large number of concurrent wireless users per AP.

JF.

mdraca

Re: wlan with multiple AP + seamless roaming

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:29 am

Place some mikrotik router that will act as central one.
Create EOIP tunnels between central router and devices that will be used to connect users.
Create bridge on central router and add all of the EOIP tunnels to that bridge.
Create DHCP server on central router bridge.

Create bridge on peripheral devices and place wlan and EOIP tunnel in that bridge.

Create hotspot on central router using bridge as interface.
Auth and shape clients on the central router as you would on peripheral devices.

If I'm pointing to wrong direction please someone correct me.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 am

Place some mikrotik router that will act as central one.
Create EOIP tunnels between central router and devices that will be used to connect users.
Create bridge on central router and add all of the EOIP tunnels to that bridge.
Create DHCP server on central router bridge.

Create bridge on peripheral devices and place wlan and EOIP tunnel in that bridge.

Create hotspot on central router using bridge as interface.
Auth and shape clients on the central router as you would on peripheral devices.

If I'm pointing to wrong direction please someone correct me.
How does this help with the seamless roaming?? A user passing from one side of the building to the other will roam through 4 different APs ... I would like to eliminate disconnects when user transfers from one AP to another. They only last a second or two but it is annoying. I don't need a hotspot. There will be a few closed SSIDs assigned to different VLANs and one open network with proper firewalling, proxy and qos .... I have everything covered and tested but seamless roaming ... I would really like to eliminate disconnects when user roams ...

JF

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:04 pm

bump! ...

I've given up on seamless roaming with mikrotik equipment ... apparently it's not possible (yet) ...

I would still like to hear about your recommendations on any advanced wireless settings change to improve wireless network stability, availability, response and throughput in conditions when there are about 50 users or more connected to a single access point and a few hundred users on a small area connecting to multiple access points (using as much no overlapping channels as possible).

My main goal is to eliminate unwanted client disconnects and improve latency. TNX for your advice.

JF