Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cetalfio
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Point to Point registered devices but no IP traffic

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Hello sometimes two routerboard RB411 with two R52Hn configured as bridge and stations bridge in bridged mode stop to work without reason. What happens is that after about 36 hours of work the devices are still registered but no IP traffic passes, restarting one of the two cards and the problem is solved.
No problem is shown in the logs, is it possible that one of the two cards is faulty?

cetalfio

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Point to Point registered devices but no IP traffic

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:53 am

I had this issue once and I believe the issue was with STP - Spanning Tree Protocol. Go to bridge and pull up the interface. Under stp change protocol mode from name to either stp or rstp. I don't remember which one to use but I think rstp is the correct one.

Regards,
-Michael

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 am

Well, I just had same issue (after upgrade of all units to 5.24 + firmware upgrade).
One link full 5Ghz mimo (58dB S/N, 99% CCQ) link with 240Mbps connection rate (set) just stopped working this morning.
No more IP traffic, even no more mac traffic possible. But on both sides radios still in registration table.
Both side still show the mac of the other in the ARP table.
Just disabled - enabled one radio and the link came back up....
Logs on both ends show nothing.

I've had this on some other links before running 5.22 and 5.23 but 5.24 should have solved it........ thus not??

(On both side no bridges are involved directly, so no rstp protocol involved. I units further down the line yes... but would that have an effect on this links?)

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:31 pm

I had that problem with 5.24. Since downgraded to 5.20 and it's no longer happening. I did contact support and was told to check frequency and try lowering tx power. Neither helped.

We have rstp set BTW so I don't think it's that.

I suspected its a software bug caused when you have a highish throughput. Seemed to crash when the link was at it's highest capacity in my experience about 50mbps. Caused us a bit of grief with some support calls :-0

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Well, I can run bandwidth test double the speeds as the clients would ever generate and it happened in the morning when most of them are still sleeping...
Downgrading is not really an option, because the upgrades actually made most of the links more stable.
(All radio's I use are MT, all links are 5Ghz NV2 with security.)

I just have to see if it happens again to see if I can trace anything down.

In the mean time I just set a ping over the link that wil disable-enable the radio when it happens. This way clients hardly notice.

Cetalfio
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Me too, ROS 5.24 R52Hn and nv2 and not stp or rstp bridge mode, have you written a script that enables / disables WLANs in order to limit the problem?

cetalfio

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 pm

I actually thought the same. When 5.24 was working it was slightly faster and more stable specially bi directional. But that bug kinda defeats that!! I couldn't replicate the problem on speedtesting but somehow real world traffic seemed to cause it.

I was able to stop the support calls by reverting to 5.20. I hope MT can get that sorted. I do think once they do nv2 will be one of the best wireless protocols.