Community discussions

MikroTik App

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Speed Issue

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:56 am

I'll try and keep it short and sweet but here is the deal. I have a multi access point network with a mikrotik router and I'm really having trouble with my why wireless is so slow. So to do a little trouble shooting I powered down all my access points and used the mikrotiks wifi card alone. I was still not able average more then 10mbps down. When I hardwire my computer I see an average of 60mbps down. (All test done on speedtest.net). That led me to the conclusion that something is up with the wireless or the router or something but I just don't know what. If anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate the help. The laptop I'm using to test the connection has a N-Band card in it and the wireless is configured to B/G/N. The model number is RB751U-2HND

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless Speed Issue

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:43 pm

I'll try and keep it short and sweet but here is the deal. I have a multi access point network with a mikrotik router and I'm really having trouble with my why wireless is so slow. So to do a little trouble shooting I powered down all my access points and used the mikrotiks wifi card alone. I was still not able average more then 10mbps down. When I hardwire my computer I see an average of 60mbps down. (All test done on speedtest.net). That led me to the conclusion that something is up with the wireless or the router or something but I just don't know what. If anybody has any ideas I would really appreciate the help. The laptop I'm using to test the connection has a N-Band card in it and the wireless is configured to B/G/N. The model number is RB751U-2HND
Are you using the very latest firmware AND the very latest software on the RB751? It has had many wireless problems that have slowly been getting fixed in the newest firmware/software.

Ivoshiee

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Are you using the very latest firmware AND the very latest software on the RB751? It has had many wireless problems that have slowly been getting fixed in the newest firmware/software.
By the latest you mean v5 series or v6?

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 am

This is what my current version is. I assume it is very out of date?

routerboard: yes
model: 751U-2HnD
serial-number: 2FF201261F15
current-firmware: 2.37
upgrade-firmware: 2.36

I'm not sure how to upgrade the firmware but I'm sure some googling will help. I will post my results after the upgrade.

Edit: I didn't notice you said software too. I'll check that out. Although again not entirely sure how to upgrade software. To the google.

Edit 2: 0 routeros-mipsbe 5.6
1 system 5.6
2 routerboard 5.6
3 X ipv6 5.6
4 mpls 5.6
5 dhcp 5.6
6 ppp 5.6
7 hotspot 5.6
8 wireless 5.6
9 routing 5.6
10 advanced-tools 5.6
11 security 5.6

Will upgrade to V6 and report back.

Thanks for your help so far.

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:46 am

It seems to have improved slightly. Initial tests show 20mbps down. But I just feel like with a 60mbps down connection and N band wireless I should be seeing more. To be honest I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be seeing for realistic speeds. I know in theory what N is supposed to be capable of. My biggest issue is that we have 2 roku's, 3 iPads, 4 Laptops and 4 Smart Phones that's if we don't have any guests over! So the wireless network gets a work out. As I mentioned I do have another access point up by the bedrooms which is intended to relieve some of the stress off and improve the range.

So I guess the question is, with a hardwired connection I'm seeing 60 down, what should I be seeing on the wireless?

Thanks,
Matt

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:02 am

Are you now using version 6.1 and the newest 3.x firmware?