Community discussions

MikroTik App

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

WISP build up on a very tight budget

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of a building a WISP using Mikrotik RF integrated solutions.
I have good background in RF ,wireless, networking , and system administration.
The problem is lack of fund for such a start up project.
I'm thinking of going with 2.4GHz radios for AP base station and CPEs.
I don't mind to invest in base station AP for any potential expansion in the future my problem lies within the CPE unit SXT Lite2 seems to be good but still pricy at 40 USD or less for most of my customers I'm looking for something cheaper and up to the task.
What is your recommendation for me.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WISP build up on a very tight budget

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:23 pm

You have a technical background which is a big advantage in this business and this is the key word "Business", I can only speak for myself but I do remember words of advice from a supplier
"Ok - the budget you have in mind, multiply that by 10 and then re-consider your business plan? “
At the time I thought he was just trying to put me off as he was involved with another WISP ,but on hindsight he was correct?
I equally don’t want to put you off but I would be concerned if I had to deal with customers who could not pay $40 would they also have difficulty in paying the monthly service rental?

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Yes I know your point of view,A paying customer is not the problem when there is a need there is a paying customer
Put in the picture DSL links availability and wired networks that shares single and multiple DSL links and the final subscriber pays 3.5 USD per month or even much lesser.
So is there any CPE that is cheaper than SXT Lite2 and up to the task? it might be any other brand

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Any suggestions?

Ivoshiee

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 am

Old junk from the ebay maybe?

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:30 pm

I have considered buying used CPE units but if there are quantities within good price which worth shipping across countries.
But what about my question , Does anyone knows a cheap CPE or even soho wireless router with reasnoable EIRP power that work perfectly with mikrotik radios

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:00 pm

I have considered buying used CPE units but if there are quantities within good price which worth shipping across countries.
But what about my question , Does anyone knows a cheap CPE or even soho wireless router with reasnoable EIRP power that work perfectly with mikrotik radios
I would be very cautious about purchasing old CPE's unless surplus stock ?
Maybe you should be pointing out what in what climate you will be using the CPE's as for me I have to ensure there is no water ingress, so SXT are not suitable for my location and have to have IP65 spec on the CPE's.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi guys,
I don't mind to invest in base station AP for any potential expansion in the future my problem lies within the CPE unit SXT Lite2 seems to be good but still pricy at 40 USD or less for most of my customers I'm looking for something cheaper and up to the task.
Simple advice. A business which does not refinance this 40 USD/Customer is not a business. With CPEs this cheap the CPEs are the smaller part of the business cost.

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi,

It would be useful if you could at least explain why any subscriber would be willing to utilise your service if the competition, if I understand correctly, already offer DSL service at 3.5USD or less?

If your potential subscribers are in areas that are not served by DSL/Cable or other already established providers, they should be at least prepared to pay a premium for just being able to get connected.

Just my POV.

Rgds,
Mark.

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Yes I know your point of view,A paying customer is not the problem when there is a need there is a paying customer
Put in the picture DSL links availability and wired networks that shares single and multiple DSL links and the final subscriber pays 3.5 USD per month or even much lesser.
So is there any CPE that is cheaper than SXT Lite2 and up to the task? it might be any other brand
As I said earlier there is a competition from DSL providers and networks that relies on grouping multiple DSL links the final customer sometimes pays less 3.5 USD per month.
Simple advice. A business which does not refinance this 40 USD/Customer is not a business. With CPEs this cheap the CPEs are the smaller part of the business cost.
Your point of view is not always true . Let me prove I'll give you a fictional scenario.
A WISP can operate on single WAN link which it cost let us say 100USD per month , a single AP for an example Metal2SHPn with either Omni or single sector antenna ( Metal2SHPn cost under 100 USD + antenna let us say under 200 USD ) Metal2SHPn came with MK license level 4 which permits up to 200 online user.
base station cost around 300 USD + monthly wan fees 100
for CPE's let us assume we have 200 client let us assume Sxt Lite is the CPE which is 40USD.
200 Sxt Lite CPE * 40 USD = 8000 USD you see the cost for the end user equipments is too high
In theory the WISP can generate revenue from this solution as long as the WAN link can handle those users.
Is there any further suggestions or recommendation for a cheap CPE

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi,

It would be useful if you could at least explain why any subscriber would be willing to utilise your service if the competition, if I understand correctly, already offer DSL service at 3.5USD or less?

If your potential subscribers are in areas that are not served by DSL/Cable or other already established providers, they should be at least prepared to pay a premium for just being able to get connected.

Just my POV.

Rgds,
Mark.
A 256Kbps DSL link cost about 6.5USD per month which is not suitable for sharing with nearby neighbors it's only a single user connection.
For an example a 1 Mbps connection cost about 20 USD which is suitable for sharing with nearby neighbors for an example 5 users each of them pays 4 USD per month for the household who pays for the DSL link no proper bandwidth utilization if 1 user download with maximum speed then it will affect the others.
I'm trying to offer a service will be dedicated for only one user per household with proper bandwidth that he will control it completely.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Your point of view is not always true . Let me prove I'll give you a fictional scenario.
A WISP can operate on single WAN link which it cost let us say 100USD per month , a single AP for an example Metal2SHPn with either Omni or single sector antenna ( Metal2SHPn cost under 100 USD + antenna let us say under 200 USD ) Metal2SHPn came with MK license level 4 which permits up to 200 online user.
for CPE's let us assume we have 200 client let us assume Sxt Lite is the CPE which is 40USD.
200 Sxt Lite CPE * 40 USD = 8000 USD you see the cost for the end user equipments is too high
In theory the WISP can generate revenue from this solution as long as the WAN link can handle those users.
(1) Build your network – “ you can’t sell unless you have a good and reliable signal”

(2) The Client numbers per AP depends on bandwidth they use, but working on say 1Mbit per CPE a AP can deliver 40Mb 802.11a – ( not sure on 802.11n using NV2) throughput so for 200 clients that’s 5 AP sectors and not 1 X Metal2SHPn with either Omni or single sector antenna (I wish it was?)
Usually one location does not serve all 200 clients so maybe 3 sites are required with cross coverage layout being used and you may have to rent these sites with electricity bill(s) cost extra …….

(3) You don't budget to purchase 200 CPE's at once, but more like first purchase 20, install them and get paid and then purchase 20 more but this time the cost you have to pay should be reduced by the first 20 installation fee……….

For 100 USD per month what type and bandwidth connection can you get?

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 am

As I said earlier there is a competition from DSL providers and networks that relies on grouping multiple DSL links the final customer sometimes pays less 3.5 USD per month.
This makes it totaly clear. You should not try to start this business. Your calculation is financial and technicaly far away from beeing realistic. Invest some time in learning and planing.

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am

(1) Build your network – “ you can’t sell unless you have a good and reliable signal”

(2) The Client numbers per AP depends on bandwidth they use, but working on say 1Mbit per CPE a AP can deliver 40Mb 802.11a – ( not sure on 802.11n using NV2) throughput so for 200 clients that’s 5 AP sectors and not 1 X Metal2SHPn with either Omni or single sector antenna (I wish it was?)
Usually one location does not serve all 200 clients so maybe 3 sites are required with cross coverage layout being used and you may have to rent these sites with electricity bill(s) cost extra …….

(3) You don't budget to purchase 200 CPE's at once, but more like first purchase 20, install them and get paid and then purchase 20 more but this time the cost you have to pay should be reduced by the first 20 installation fee……….

The given example was totally fictitious not a realistic one . I have given it as a proof of the concept that the end user equipments sometimes cost a lot rather than central system.

Your approach for buying small quantities of CPEs , install them and get paid is the approach that I was going to follow from the beginning but the CPE still pricy at 40 USD the customer will not pay a 40USD for such device when he can get 20 meter of Cat5 cable for 4USD and connect it to his neighbor router or switch and pays his neighbor a 4USD per month for the connection you the comparison.

You can get Kbps 8192 DSL link for around 100USD
This makes it totaly clear. You should not try to start this business. Your calculation is financial and technicaly far away from beeing realistic. Invest some time in learning and planing.
Maybe you are right but I see the market can accommodate more competitors as there already many tiny WISPs operate here and get paid as well

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:38 am

The given example was totally fictitious not a realistic one . I have given it as a proof of the concept that the end user equipments sometimes cost a lot rather than central system.

Your approach for buying small quantities of CPEs , install them and get paid is the approach that I was going to follow from the beginning but the CPE still pricy at 40 USD the customer will not pay a 40USD for such device when he can get 20 meter of Cat5 cable for 4USD and connect it to his neighbor router or switch and pays his neighbor a 4USD per month for the connection you the comparison.

Maybe you are right but I see the market can accommodate more competitors as there already many tiny WISPs operate here and get paid as well
You are omitting a lot of costs in your model. Service, Payment, ... And with the given parameters (Small DSL based uplink, too many CPEs/AP) you would have a lot of service and angry not paying customers.
For 4USD/Month we could not provide any service. We would pay our customers.

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:16 am

You are omitting a lot of costs in your model. Service, Payment, ... And with the given parameters (Small DSL based uplink, too many CPEs/AP) you would have a lot of service and angry not paying customers.
For 4USD/Month we could not provide any service. We would pay our customers.
I'm not omitting those variables in my research I've spent hours and hours in studying the possibilities for such project in order to succeed fail is not an option as I will fund it with all I have got.
As I've said the given example above was totally fictitious I don't intend to serve 200 client for now but bulk clients will come in the future .
If follow the thread from the very beginning my question is all about building WISP on cheap CPE devices also I have said I don't mind to invest in base station for any possible expansion in the future.
I'm looking for CPE devices similar to Zylog System http://wi5.in/cp.html

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:47 am

If customers cannot or will not pay 40 USD for a CPE and could run 20 meters of meters of cat5 and pay neighbor 4 USD, then you don't have a potential market for your service using 1 x CPE per household, but there is always a market you just have to plan a different approach.

From reading 20meters to next house, this would indicate the houses are close together, then why not install 1 X CPE and use a 4 port switch and cable to 4 houses, will reduce the cost to each house, set this CPE to have 4Mbit bandwidth(assuming you sell 1Mbit per house) and can be easily controlled by PPPoE & simple queues on the CPE,

Kbps 8192 DSL link for around 100USD
Contention ratio and normal internet usage will probably result in approx. 50 CPE’s per 8192 DSL line

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 pm

If customers cannot or will not pay 40 USD for a CPE and could run 20 meters of meters of cat5 and pay neighbor 4 USD, then you don't have a potential market for your service using 1 x CPE per household, but there is always a market you just have to plan a different approach.

From reading 20meters to next house, this would indicate the houses are close together, then why not install 1 X CPE and use a 4 port switch and cable to 4 houses, will reduce the cost to each house, set this CPE to have 4Mbit bandwidth(assuming you sell 1Mbit per house) and can be easily controlled by PPPoE & simple queues on the CPE,

Kbps 8192 DSL link for around 100USD
Contention ratio and normal internet usage will probably result in approx. 50 CPE’s per 8192 DSL line
I already considered this as an alternative option the drawback in this option is that sharing the CPE connection over switch lead me to electricity problem what if the household that had the CPE or the switch turn down electricity for any reason.
Let us get back to my question again is there any cheap alternative like this http://wi5.in/cp.html

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 pm

How much will a customer pay?

Will your service be better than is currently available in this area?

Is the current DSL service reliable and not highly contented?

And what will you do if they share a single connection?

I like many other Wisp's have to compete in DSL areas where the customer receives in the post a Wi-Fi router once they have signed a contract, they have internet access in most cases for no installation fee?

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:54 pm

It's difficult to answer this question now , But I'm planning to offer a speed/price dependent service
I'm looking forward to compete with networks that shares single DSL or multiple DSL links and other WISP.
To some extent yes it's reliable and offer up to 98% / year availability
What do you mean exactly ?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57 pm

What do you mean exactly ?
when one person pays for your service, and then shares it with 10 neighbors without you knowing

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:21 pm

It's difficult to answer this question now , But I'm planning to offer a speed/price dependent service
This is most important question to be answered, I have seen customers who are happy with just browsing and not streaming
video's and they will not pay any extra to improve the service so they can stream?
Quote:

To some extent yes it's reliable and offer up to 98% / year availability
If DSL service is reliable for your potential customers, then why would they switch to your service?

I'm looking forward to compete with networks that shares single DSL or multiple DSL links and other WISP.
I can only speak for my own area but we have noticed customers once signed up to service that does not give many issues, they do not switch, generally you get 3 types of customers as new WISP, first and in most cases have to be avoided when their opening questions are "How quick is your service, do you have a monthly download limit........."
Second - Customers who have issues with current provider about the price of the service, their first question "How much is your service..."
Third - Customers who are unhappy with the current provider or those now working from home and require a good back-up service and while they will ask about price, they are more concerned about the back-up service and reliabilty, they usually ask who else has your service, so they can get a referral?

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Every user will be assigned a predetermined bandwidth and speed if he exceed his limits his speed will be degraded.
Sharing the connection with xN of users will not be viable in such scenario

24gzh
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:59 pm

No one answered my question yet

gcs
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:29 pm

I don't see a sucessful business model in your case. We charge our customers $250 to $350 installed for CPE and antenna. They are glad to get the service. We are a rural ISP and only have satellite (which we sell too) and cell phone 3g as competitors. Our monthly cost is based on speed they choose and is unlimited.

If $40 for cpe is too much then you don't have enough paying customers to make it worth while to try to compete.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:07 pm

prices war always is not the right way you aim for it...
since you know the upfront cost should bare the customer or in your installation fee...

i advised you to think on which market segment are looking for then only talk about the technical implementation...

else, prices war game going to kill you if you are the budget player...

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:40 am

?!? if someone is selling DSL for 3.5 USD
I will consider different business like selling old cars

Is there any further suggestions or recommendation for a cheap CPE.
u miss a lot of things
for example 1 client does not cost only 40USD u need 10-20m FTP/UTP cable, you have to mount this SXT on something, u need connectors, u need fuel to move around from one place to another thats extra 10-20USD
.... list just go on and on.

Is there any further suggestions or recommendation for a cheap CPE?!?
This is wrong dont look for cheap CPE
look for CPE that will do a job for the next 5 years , with a payback money max for 6 mounts -that mean your service must be min 12-15USD

8000 USD are ok for start but in time u will need a lot more, we had a budget about 5000e but 6 years ago only mistake we've made we did not start with 5Ghz at the beginning
Last edited by Lakis on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 am, edited 13 times in total.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:44 am

I don't see a sucessful business model in your case. We charge our customers $250 to $350 installed for CPE and antenna. They are glad to get the service. We are a rural ISP and only have satellite (which we sell too) and cell phone 3g as competitors. Our monthly cost is based on speed they choose and is unlimited.

If $40 for cpe is too much then you don't have enough paying customers to make it worth while to try to compete.
this is good model
rural place is the best place for beginners (I remember where we started)- start in place where competition is worst and build up costumers

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:16 am

this is good model
rural place is the best place for beginners (I remember where we started)- start in place where competition is worst and build up costumers
Quoted for truth.

If you can't get $40 for a high speed Internet installation then you are going to have people that won't pay their monthly bill.

Run, don't walk away. If I was getting Internet service and they balked at a $40 CPE because it was too expensive I'd run away from that as well.

Businesses are using all kinds of hardware out there where it is near $500 for the customer radio, not counting the antenna and coax. I can't see how that business plan works (how many months/years to pay for the equipment?) and I can't see how you are going to serve reliable service if $40 of customer equipment is too expensive for you to deal with.

Some of my customers have a $40 CPE mounted to a preexisting pole and a really short Ethernet run. 90% of my customers are on 19dBi panels or 20dBi grids + $12 mounting bracket + $5-7 worth of pipe + 25ft of Ethernet + POE.

The vast majority of my customers are on equipment that cost $150+ for reliable service. Some places work with cheap equipment. If your business plan is based on using bottom dollar equipment then that will ultimately be the deciding factor in the quality of your business, cheap.

Bottom line, your plan has several weaknesses and it sounds like the neighborhood you plan to do this in either is not interested or is such a penny pincher that you'll never make a profit.

ShayanFiroozi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi,
i think if you use industrial 2.4 GHZ sector antenna with a high power 2.4 GHZ radio like Metal2 , customers could connect easily with a small desktop 2.4 GHZ antenna connect to USB or something like that!!

HareKrishna
just joined

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:57 pm

I believe I have been already doing what you are planning to do. Getting straight to your initial question, I find the most economic and reliable way to get CPEs is buy router boards from TP-link (many models available), get weather proof casing with 12-14 dbi directional antenna (available in market), assemble it and sell with POE adapters.

>Let us get back to my question again is there any cheap alternative like this http://wi5.in/cp.html

edy
just joined

Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi guys,
I built a WISP business in Italy 5 years ago using Cisco Aironet equipment as a hobby or vanity project.
I used all second hand Cisco Aironet 1200 series, 2.4Ghz radios. The main backbone antennas were two Yagi from cisco and the rest of the CPE used was crap from the bottom of eBay barrel.

The good news is: IT WORKED! It took me three years to learn and fine-tune it. In the end I even managed to re-coup some of my investment capital back.

The bad news is: Many of the units I purchased were duds, as you would expect from second hand stuff from eBay.
Probably struck by ESD (lightining hitting the power lines and frying your outdoor equipment).

If I were to do it all over again the same way, the answer is simple: I WOULDN'T!
The equipment was too cheap, wrong for my purposes and I had more problems setting it up and servicing than I wanted. I spent many, many, many hours driving up and down the mountain, visiting customers, setting up antennas in waterproof plastic boxes, running cables and trying to convince people it was a good deal for them.

I would stay as far away as possible from those who penny-pinch and quibble about the price.
They WILL MOST DEFINITELY be your worst nightmare if you try to accommodate them to stay on.
You will regret the day you met them.

Another of my mistakes was to rely solely on 2.4Ghz. Everything is 5Ghz now. Working like a charm.

I don't know what CPE you can get for less than $40 that will satisfy your / your customers' needs. All I know is that when you buy quality equipment the return on your investent is faster and more secure. Quality equipment makes for happier customers who don't keep complaining and wasting your time. You can be sure that the monthly payments will be there every month, customers happy, not a load of nagging and complaining toads.

By all means, experiment to your heart's content. Buy cheap stuff and play with it. Some time down the line you will have to upgrade anyway. Maybe THEN you can invest more wisely.
If your time is cheap go ahead and have fun.
Personally, I invested WAAAAAAAAAAY too much time, in order to compensate for the little money I put into my WISP business.

My advice is: Invest in the correct equipment. Buy it new. Grow slowly. Ensure your business model is sustainable before you waste your money down the drain with cheap stuff.

With the benefit of hindsight, if my livelihood depended on it I would have given it up a long time ago.
Good thing this is just my hobby now. And the money keeps trickling in, from the very selected, loyal, small number of customers.

Cheers,
Edy