MikroTik App

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

5mhz width, more or less clients

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:22 am

Hello,

with 5mhz channel width can I expect more or less clients on the same AP?

Also, would that be better at getting past trees etc?

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:05 am

good question,
i think this option works only when use MT in both sides,am i right?
i saw its 2GHZ-5mhz is that mean the frequancy is 2.4ghz or 2 ghz?
another think is it supported by the amplifires<...' or it has nothing to do '?
best regards
talot

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:05 am

good question,
i think this option works only when use MT in both sides,am i right?
i saw its 2GHZ-5mhz is that mean the frequancy is 2.4ghz or 2 ghz?
another think is it supported by the amplifires<...' or it has nothing to do '?
best regards
talot

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:07 am

Hello.

I think is still 2.4ghz

Yes, When Router OS at both ends, I must say it works very well and gives you better signal anyway, perhaps you wont need the amp anymore?

eflanery

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:06 pm

AFAIK, It does indeed require MTs on both ends, but since it is based on an Atheros hardware feature, that may not necessarily always be the case.

In theory (I have not actually measured it), 5mhz channels should give you 6dB greater SOM than 20mhz channels, since your spectral power density would be 4 times greater. Thus you could go twice as far, without having to drop to a lesser modulation, in theory.

However, you will, at best, get 1/4th the theoretical maximum throughput of a 20mhz channel.

Also, while 5mhz channels will be less vulnerable to adjacent channel interference, since they don't spread as far; they will be more vulnerable to narrow band in-channel noise, since they don't spread as far.

The number of clients you will effectively be able to serve with a given channel size will really depend on your environment, network, and goals. A yes/no answer isn't really possible.

Same goes for getting past obstacles, you have a greater power density (and so can withstand a bit more loss), but less spreading (fewer sub-carriers for OFDM to do it's pilot-tone equalization / M-P signal reconstruction thing with). Six of one, half dozen of the other? Not an easy question.

--Eric

DirectWireless
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:32 am

But channel coordination among your own equipment might be easier. Such that you could use 12 30degree panels on a single tower, you could skate around interference easier with a pointed approach. Not to mention that the speed is no longer CPU limited with a RB532, so you are free to process other things (firewalls, VLANs, etc) without worrying about a CPU penalty that prevents you from getting maximum performance. Maybe you couldn't get 40 people to one AP sharing only 5Mbps, but maybe you could have 4 times as many panels (more redundancy, less hidden node collisions, and more spectral density as others have said). Also, being proprietary, it keeps the at-home wifi tinkerers off your equipment (no Netstumbler, WEPcrack, sniffers, etc).

Not to mention in the case of _inband_ interference, you have a very narrow channel you can hop around with on the AP rather than taking elephant steps around the channel.