Community discussions

MikroTik App

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

SEXTANT Only seems to work with certain frequencies

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I am a ubiquiti man, testing Mikrotik, I can only seem to get certain frequencies to work and such as 5500, 5520, 5540, 5560 and up to 5700 with 20MHz spacing and I want 5840 as that is the only frequency I have left that is free.

How can I get this frequency to work.

I have no problem with Ubiquiti and this frequency.

jaykay2342

Re: SEXTANT Only seems to work with certain frequencies

Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:35 pm

which country have configured ? as 5.8Ghz is not allowed in all countries you can't configure it with the wrong setting.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 pm

which country have configured ? as 5.8Ghz is not allowed in all countries you can't configure it with the wrong setting.
I am in the UK and I have a licence for 5.8MHz

jaykay2342

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:22 pm

it might be possible that once you configured UK as country 5.8 is not configurable due to the fact that it is a restricted frequency in UK. I know that there is a special "country" called "germany 5.8 fixed p-p" as these channels are limited for p-p links of ISPs ( even not allowed to use it as an p-p in an private/company network ). maybe mikrotik can add similar a option for UK as well. you can configure superchannel for testing purposes. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... properties. but be careful! as you can configure any frequency and any tx power you could do something that's not allowed in the UK.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Yes, if you personally have a license, it means that UK in general has 5.8 restricted. In this case, change wireless mode to "superchannel" and your frequencies will be unlocked. This mode is for people who have licenses outside their country default regulations.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Yes, if you personally have a license, it means that UK in general has 5.8 restricted. In this case, change wireless mode to "superchannel" and your frequencies will be unlocked. This mode is for people who have licenses outside their country default regulations.
I have done that but the frequencies do not work, I have selected 5840 on both ends of the bridge but to no avail, if I select 5700 it works.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 am

You must also add 5840 to the "scan list" setting on the client end, otherwise it doesn't know which frequency to look at.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:10 pm

You must also add 5840 to the "scan list" setting on the client end, otherwise it doesn't know which frequency to look at.
I have done that, no other frequency except those that are shown in bold type will work.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:42 pm

paste both end configuration from this command:

ros code

/interface wireless export

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:49 pm

ros code

They are disconnected at the moment, will do it when I have time to rig them up again

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:46 pm

ros code

Apologies, I had not entered it in the scan list correctly, it works now THANKS.

Any idea what range I can get with a pair of these.

I am trying to get 10Mbps over a distance 17.5k

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:51 pm

ros code

P.S.

How does one set a 40MHz channel width, there only seems to be 20/40 above or 20/40 below, I do not want it above or below.

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:37 pm

ros code

P.S.

How does one set a 40MHz channel width, there only seems to be 20/40 above or 20/40 below, I do not want it above or below.

Again ... 40mhz channels are not for Europe ... If you really want to use different frequencies and channels i think its better you choose another country that supports your needs, maybe US.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:50 pm

ros code

P.S.

Again ... 40mhz channels are not for Europe ... If you really want to use different frequencies and channels i think its better you choose another country that supports your needs, maybe US.
Some channels with 40MHz are allowed in UK, why not allow us to use them, other coumpanies kit does.

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Try with no country set in wireless setting.

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:20 pm

No 40Mhz on its own channel setting only 20/40 HT Above or Below

Tried a few countries like Brazil, US, Korea and no_country_set they are all the same.

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Tried a few countries like Brazil, US, Korea and no_country_set they are all the same.

I found an old link, see if it helps you http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46858

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 pm

I found an old link, see if it helps you http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46858
Thanks this answers the question.

40mhz "Channel Width" field is available only if you have non-N chispet card, for example, R52 (AR5414 chipset).
For N chipset cards like R52N you need to use "HT Extension Channel" option.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 am

in v6 we have now a custom channels feature, where you can define much wider channel.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... d_Channels

To enable this, you must email support and sign a form that you will use this feature according to local law.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:28 pm

in v6 we have now a custom channels feature, where you can define much wider channel.

To enable this, you must email support and sign a form that you will use this feature according to local law.
Hi normis,

Unfortunately this extra is not supported in sextant and I have ordered nearly 5 ptp links to be used with sextant.

Really worried now....

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi normis,

Unfortunately this extra is not supported in sextant and I have ordered nearly 5 ptp links to be used with sextant.

Really worried now....
Gone back to Ubiquiti, these Sextants and Sxt's are simply not good enough, I have a pair of Sextants and a pair of SXT's

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 am

Hi normis,

Really worried now....
Gone back to Ubiquiti, these Sextants and Sxt's are simply not good enough, I have a pair of Sextants and a pair of SXT's
i can get more speed with SXT than with Ubiquitis....

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:19 am

i definitely vouch for Mikrotik products compared to Ubiquiti.... but my question remains....

these SEXTANT...... how can i get them to work on the extra channel?? or even for that matter can i push 300Mbps through them for a distance of 1.5 kms??

please help me with this as I have already ordered 5 links ( 10 pairs ) and in my country there is no return policy from the dealer....

lunchboxrts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:00 am

i definitely vouch for Mikrotik products compared to Ubiquiti.... but my question remains....

these SEXTANT...... how can i get them to work on the extra channel?? or even for that matter can i push 300Mbps through them for a distance of 1.5 kms??

please help me with this as I have already ordered 5 links ( 10 pairs ) and in my country there is no return policy from the dealer....
If your sextant has a rb911 in it then its not going to happen. non standard channels or "channel shifting" only works on ar92xx chipsets. i have ask if it will be supported on the new rb's but no response from mikrotik. it appears that the ar93xx chipset support it but mikrotik does not

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... re_support
Hardware support

Non standard center frequency and width channels can only be used with interfaces that support it.

Currently only Atheros AR92xx based chips support non-standard center frequencies and widths with the following ranges:

center frequency range: 2200MHz-2500MHz with step 0.5MHz (500KHz), width range: 2.5MHz-30MHz width step 0.5MHz (500KHz);
center frequency range: 4800MHz-6100MHz with step 0.5MHz (500KHz), width range: 2.5MHz-30MHz width step 0.5MHz (500KHz);