Community discussions

MikroTik App

infused
Topic Author

Wireless Mesh

Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:29 am

Hi Guys,

I've used Mikrotik a lot now, but not really for wireless.

What would you recommend for putting in the ceiling for an office that's about 400-500sqm. We want to create a mesh so they can walk around the building without being disconnected.

Any help appreciated.

wiltshra

Re: Wireless Mesh

Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 pm

I've created scripts for a mesh network based on Groove A-52HPn wireless routers, using WDS and dynamic mesh.

This design provides multiple access points for clients, and dynamic linking to new client-portals. I even created nodes that are only in the mesh and do not act as client portal, for parts of the mesh that need an extra "repeater" in the middle...with dynamic mesh portals can be easily added where required.

All sounds wonderful, yes?...

NO - the MikroTik hardware/RouterOS (tried v5.25<>v6.2) is letting me down - we are seeing random kernel failures even on a very underutilised network (ie: there is seriously no bandwidth stress on our application) - we set up the software watchdog on the units, which helped a little, but still ended up with a broken network on occasion.
We tried changing the WDS to static-mesh, this has helped a little, but reboots are still occurring from kernel failures - we are still investigating.
I have been informed (from a MikroTik certified supplier/trainer engineer) that my configurations are OK.

So, what am I saying, at present I am not very confident in MikoTik ability to support a wireless mesh setup that works reliably.

(previously to this all of my MikroTik Groove wireless setups have worked without issue including a two AP mesh set up using dynamic-mesh and WDS - it seems as soon as I introduce a third AP to the mesh, the kernel failures start, and I can se this on the site set up as well as a set up I am testing in the office)

infused
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Interesting. What hardware were you using? I'd be keen to replicate.

infused
Topic Author

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:46 am

So what gear and setup are people using where they need to give a signal to a whole office (maybe two stories) and use SIP wireless phones where the connection cannot break?

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:31 pm

wiltshra

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Interesting. What hardware were you using? I'd be keen to replicate.
I am using MikroTik Groove A-52HPn hardware.

I have just freshly Netinstall'd all of the units, so I am going to see if this cures the kernel crash issues.