Community discussions

MikroTik App

Adam84
Topic Author

Wireless transparent bridge (based on VPLS) throughput issue

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:07 pm

I did set up wireless transparent bridge as written here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... using_MPLS.

As i try to check real throughput of this connection, it shows me something around 12Mb/s. When i change only the type of L2 bridge to one based on WDS, real throughput increase to 40Mb/s. I've tried already different values of MPLS MTU, but it didn't help. On both sides there is RouterOS 6.4.

Any ideas why is it like that?

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless transparent bridge (based on VPLS) throughput i

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:12 am

I did set up wireless transparent bridge as written here: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... using_MPLS.

As i try to check real throughput of this connection, it shows me something around 12Mb/s. When i change only the type of L2 bridge to one based on WDS, real throughput increase to 40Mb/s. I've tried already different values of MPLS MTU, but it didn't help. On both sides there is RouterOS 6.4.

Any ideas why is it like that?
What device do you use?
What is the CPU usage during the test (and what proces uses most of the CPU cycles)?
Tunneling (EoIP, VPLS) need quite enough of CPU power to encapsulate the packets..

Adam84
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 pm

On both sides there are RB 411. CPU is around 10% at station side, and 35% at AP side during the highest traffic.

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 pm

On both sides there are RB 411. CPU is around 10% at station side, and 35% at AP side during the highest traffic.
what is the speed and quality on pure wireless (i.e do the test between IPs assigned to the wireless interfaces - 172.16.0.x in the wiki example)