MikroTik App

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Multiple APs in bridge - connectivity problems

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

Hello,

I have set up a Wireless network with multiple APs and in full bridge mode. See the attached picture.
My scenario is as follows:
1. ADSL on WAN side of Router 1, which has configured DHCP Server for the whole network and hotspot server. The router has two WLAN cards. wlan1 is used for 5GHz Uplink to main WiFi-PtMP (Station Bridge) router and the second one (wlan2) services 2,4GHz clients. Router has a bridge called hotspot with interfaces wlan1 and wlan2. I set the RTSP mode and set the priority do 1 (root bridge). The hotspot interface has an IP 10.5.50.1
2. The second Router is located on a hill and all other base stations connect to it. It has two sector antenas wlan1 and wlan2 in bridge called hotspot. RTSP priority 2. The ip is 10.5.50.2
3. The Base stations are combined from SXT and RB433 with R52Hn interface. SXT has a bridge called hotspot with ether1 and wlan1. Wlan1 is configured to connect to Router 2 (on the hill) and ether1 is connected to RB433 ether1. RTSP priority is 3 and the IP is 10.5.50.3.
4. Mobile clients are being serviced by RB433 with R52hn. It also has a bridge with ether1 and wlan1. Priority 4 and IP address 10.5.50.4
5. Other base stations have the same setup but higher IPs and bridge priorities (see picture)

My goal was to make a roaming enviroment with same SSID on different channels but costumer wanted to have different SSID which is OK and easier to troubleshoot.
The "roaming" works and the IP of the mobile device get the same IP whereever he connects.

The problem is in connectivity from main router (or outside via portforwarding) to base stations. I dont know why but when I connect to one base station I often loose connectivity to others. It think it has somethnig to do with network topology change and RTSP protocol (but I also have problems with STP and none)..
Simply said if I ping 10.5.50.4 from 10.5.50.1 I often get request timeout and then after couple of timeouts (4-10) it returns to normal cca 10ms. It happens with hotspot turned on or off so my guess is it has somtehing to do with bridge settings but I cannot figure it out (path cost, priority etc?!).

I have made admin-mac's on all bridges and hotspot ip bypass bindings on all bridges. ROS is 5.25

If I won't find a stable solution I will change the topology to routed network instead of bridged network and then make EoIP tunnels to main for roaming and hotspot.. but these seems like a waste when simple bridge setup should work...

Any help or pointers would be appriciated.

Thanx
Huntah
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Multiple APs in bridge - connectivity problems

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm not sure why you are using RSTP on that network? For me, RSTP is useful to handle loops, which you don't have here..
Are all 5ghz devices (PtMtP and SXTs) connected together with WDS ?

huntah
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Multiple APs in bridge - connectivity problems

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:24 pm

I read somewhere that because of roaming clients you need some kind of STP protocol..

SXT are not in WDS mode but in station bridge mode and they connect to the second router on top of the hill. WLAN in in classic AP-bridge mode..
SXT have their interfaces (WLAN1 in Ether1) in bridge called hotspot.