Community discussions

MikroTik App

djbon2112
just joined
Topic Author

New R52Hn is unusable!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:28 am

Hello guys:

I just got an R52Hn to compliment my RB443GL (RouterOS 6.4) and replace a generic Atheros 3x3 2.4GHz N card I was using and managed to blow up (forced the TX power too high too often, resulting in streams of malformed packets).

However, this new card is unusable! First, my clients only detect it occasionally. As in, 20% of the time. I'm sitting right beside it now and none of my clients can even see it. Wireless scanner in phone, or laptop. And when it is detected, its signal is significantly lower than my other (generic, uFL-connected) 9220 card, sometimes as much as -20dBm at the client.

I've messed with just about every setting I can find in WinBox, tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz, changed up my antennas (from my 9dBi monsters to crappy little ones and back), tried different mounts, just about everything I can think of.

Can anyone offer any pointers? Do I have a dud?

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New R52Hn is unusable!

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:29 am

Hello guys:

I just got an R52Hn to compliment my RB443GL (RouterOS 6.4) and replace a generic Atheros 3x3 2.4GHz N card I was using and managed to blow up (forced the TX power too high too often, resulting in streams of malformed packets).

However, this new card is unusable! First, my clients only detect it occasionally. As in, 20% of the time. I'm sitting right beside it now and none of my clients can even see it. Wireless scanner in phone, or laptop. And when it is detected, its signal is significantly lower than my other (generic, uFL-connected) 9220 card, sometimes as much as -20dBm at the client.

I've messed with just about every setting I can find in WinBox, tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz, changed up my antennas (from my 9dBi monsters to crappy little ones and back), tried different mounts, just about everything I can think of.

Can anyone offer any pointers? Do I have a dud?
Sounds like a bad card.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:57 am

Get it warrantied.

It happens from time to time. I've had a couple of dead ones and far more that have been in the air a few years now.

I'd have more in service, but they don't survive lightning strikes, but then what does?

djbon2112
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks guys, I'm doing just that.