Community discussions

MikroTik App

lustyffh
Topic Author

RB912UAG-5HPnD and additional AR9380 - intermittent gain

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi Folks,

I've bought Atheros AR5BXB112 (AR9380) off eBay, installed it on my RB912UAG-5HPnD. Then I connected it via two additional pigtails to dual-band omni 5dbi antennas.
It was recognized correctly and seems to be running fine. Logs are crystal clear as well. However, the gain seems to be sporadic or intermittent. Please refer to the screenshot attached that shows the card running in parallel with embedded Atheros interface.

Tx power is set to card rates.

I then tried to plug it in the pci-x adapter on my PC and it seems to be running fine as well.

Does anyone have any clue to this strange power output?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

laithmikrotik

Re: RB912UAG-5HPnD and additional AR9380 - intermittent gain

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:53 am

dont use rb912 with any type of omini antenna ...use it just with dual chain sector antenna.....

lustyffh
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:52 am

dont use rb912 with any type of omini antenna ...use it just with dual chain sector antenna.....
why?

I have main card with omni antennas as well. Moreover, I've tried to swap first card antennas (5ghz only) with secondary card to no avail.
I use RB912 as a home AP because of its power, robustness and flexibility - couldn't find any viable alternatives in the SOHO market for 5 Ghz.

lustyffh
Topic Author

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:13 am

doesn't anyone have a clue to this?

In the meanwhile, I have also tried a test by sitting closer to the AP. However, the result is similar:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:20 am

please describe more detailed your problem.
Also please note that tx-power-mode=card-rates are not working with AR93xx wireless chipset. If you want to lower the output power you need to use tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed.

lustyffh
Topic Author

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:03 pm

please describe more detailed your problem.
Also please note that tx-power-mode=card-rates are not working with AR93xx wireless chipset. If you want to lower the output power you need to use tx-power-mode=all-rates-fixed.
Hello,

thank you for your feedback! What other details do you need?
The reason I set it to card rates is just because I thought it would be the safest option. First I set it manually, however the result was the same. I set it to 14dbi (max according to the FCC test report). Strangely, Mikrotik allowed me to set rates higher than the card can support and interface confirmed that the rate was set successfully.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 pm

even if you set a higher tx-power than card supports it will not use that - it will automatically use the max supported power of the wireless cards.
At what times are you monitoring the signal?
When the signal drops - did you send more traffic?
What tool are you using for monitoring the signal?

Ivoshiee

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 am

Sporadic gain is one thing when you are constantly monitoring the signal, but what does happen if you monitor a active link to that device? Does it have weird signal dropping as well?

Btw: Have you managed to find any radio specification to that given card? What should these gains be according to the specification and what are the receiver sensitivity numbers?

lustyffh
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 pm

even if you set a higher tx-power than card supports it will not use that - it will automatically use the max supported power of the wireless cards.
At what times are you monitoring the signal?
When the signal drops - did you send more traffic?
What tool are you using for monitoring the signal?
I assume it as well that the card will default to the hardware Max. But the bad thing that Mikrotik still misleadingly reports what was set manually.
Anytime tried, morning or evening.
No clients are connected to this card while testing. All clients sit on default-5 ssid.
The tool is Homedale
Sporadic gain is one thing when you are constantly monitoring the signal, but what does happen if you monitor a active link to that device? Does it have weird signal dropping as well?

Btw: Have you managed to find any radio specification to that given card? What should these gains be according to the specification and what are the receiver sensitivity numbers?
Here are specifications from FCC test report for this wireless card(PPD-AR5BXB112):

20Hz channel
Test report - 15C.pdf (SECURED) - Adobe Reader_2013-11-15_17-09-52.png
datasheet from the similar card:
Atheros AR9380.gif
Both adapters run in the UNII-3 band in the non-overlapping 20Hz channels!!

I did a few more tests and here are some interesting results.

First I switched the card from 5ghz to 2ghz w/o changing SSID. Testing is done while being connected to default-5. No clients are connected to default-51. You may see this switch in the suden TX increase for default-51:
Homedale [1.33]_2013-11-15_11-42-01.png
...continued
Last edited by lustyffh on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

lustyffh
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:57 pm

....continued

Next, I connected one client(laptop) to default-51. Tests are performed on the PC connected to default-5 still.
Homedale [1.33]_2013-11-15_11-59-24.png
Finally, I decided to run the test from the laptop connected to default-51. In parallel, PC runs it's own test and still shows diagram as above. But notice now that on the laptop the gain is quite normal!!!
2013-11-15 11_59_02-Homedale [1.33].png
So, how can this be explained? And does the card works correctly in the end or not?

BTW, RB912G-5HPND has just no space to connect 3rd pigtail for an extension card. AUX2 almost sticks to the motherboard leaving no room for external pigtail.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:13 pm

the best way to monitor the card is to lock the wireless card to use the lowest data-rate - then connect a client and start a test where the AP sends traffic all the time.
Then you can run your tool and monitor the wifi link. As it is more accurate as you never know how good your wifi monitoring tool is working (how often it reads that channel for wireless signal and for how long time it monitors the channel till it scans the next one).