Community discussions

MikroTik App

wispwest
Topic Author

When will Mikrotik support 802.11ac + NV2???

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Will Ubiquiti beat Mikrotik to the 802.11ac game? I think so, I already know beta testers that are having fun with some new gear coming out, and the results are amazing!

I would like to keep my rb800 boards in place for my PtP's and upgrade the SR71-15 cards to a new 802.11ac card, but I can't yet, right? Mikrotik isn't ready, and there isn't any PCI cards that will do it? Rules out the rb912's, with the weak 600mhz CPU. I'm really curious how a rb800 would do, but from the looks of it I'll be swapping them out with Rocket-AC radios.

wispwest
Topic Author

Re: When will Mikrotik support 802.11ac + NV2???

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:22 am

am I missing anything? are there any cards that will work with a mikrotik for 802.11ac???

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 am

I guess it would be easy for MT to put a atheros .ac card into a minipc-slot and make it running.
Not sure if it will be stable and faster than a .n card?

What comes short in the .ac-Discussion is the quality the cards need to make benefit out of .ac.
To get the higher modulations you need a good near and far channel rejection (filters). If this
is not better than with .a/.n Cards you'll see good performance under ideal conditions and worse Performance as soon as a neighbor fires up his AP.

Nonetheless I would like to see the first steps of MT into .ac to have a good feeling they are future proof. nv2 and .n needed a long time to improve. We see quite good results now but I am sure there ist still potential with .n. I would like to see a .n dual pol nv2 sector 40MHz to peak at 200MBps under good conditions. We're far from this now (and UBNT is far from this too).

First step would be vendors datasheets include tables with minimal near and far channel rejection.
Instead I see 150+ Marketing numbers.

wispwest
Topic Author

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 am

We're far from this now (and UBNT is far from this too).
Not at all. I know some people beta-testing the AC gear as we speak. It very impressive, even at long PtP links. VERY impressive. I can't share any other results, other than the speeds are said to be up to 400-500mb in 80mhz channel width. These people signed NDA's, so not much else is known other than, it works, and works GREAT!!!