MikroTik App

azurtem
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

5.4kms point to point link

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi

I'm trying to determine what devices to use to create a point to point link between two sites in the south of France

The enclosed image shows that there isn't a perfect line of sight over the 5.4kms stretch

Would a Titanium with a parabolic antenna at either end be my best option ?

What level of throughput could I expect ?

Thanks

yann
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joshaven

Re: 5.4kms point to point link

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 pm

I could do a link path analysis with various configurations using the radio mobile software (http://www.ve2dbe.com/index.html) which would give you a fairly accurate estimate of the signal quality of the link. Otherwise I recommend getting as close as you can with this tool http://www.ubnt.com/airlink/ (I have found that the airlink tool is not very accurate but it gives you a decent quick look). The radio mobile software is great tool and it is worth learning but it is difficult to get started with. I have used and verified my setting on radio mobile with before and after prediction and results and found that I can get pretty close.

I have quite a bit of experience in determining the required equipment to make stable backhaul links. I will need the GPS location and height above ground level of each location as well as the frequency band that you are using. It would also be quite helpful if you could identify what you wan the link to be able to do as far as performance. Contact me via email at: josh (at) thinkboxi.com if your interested.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:06 am

I am not clear on what your image represents, ground clutter or terrain.

Assuming the path profile shows Earth, rather than ground clutter, and that the vertical scale is meters, you will get 0 throughput without 20 to 25 meters above ground level radio mount points at each end, rough guess. If there is ground clutter on top of the earth the mount heights will need to try to get you clearance above the ground clutter as well. If you cannot clear the vast majority of the ground clutter, you will have to try equipment on frequencies below 2.4GHz.

Useful for data purpose radio frequencies will not penetrate the Earth. I don't know what frequencies are available to you in France.

If the graph shows ground clutter only and there is no Earth obstruction, 900 MHz frequencies may give you up to 30Mbps of throughput on a path like that. 20 to 25 meter higher radio mount points would let you use 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz frequencies and allow much better throughput.

The Radio Mobile path profile joshaven is offering to do would give a definitive answer.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Remember: Radio mobile do not observe buildings.

joshaven

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Remember: Radio mobile do not observe buildings.
Radio mobile has buildings under their land cover data. It is displayed on the map in light blue by default. I'm not saying that the simulations are perfect but I have found them very helpful.

Land Cover info:
http://www.g3tvu.co.uk/Land_cover.htm