Community discussions

MikroTik App

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

I have a kind of stupid antenna question.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:05 am

Hello,

I am getting some BaseBox 2GHz MiMO 1000mW Access Point. I have been looking for some high gain antennas to put on them, 10dbi to be exact. I have only found the regular n-male or n-female antennas at this gain. I also found some Hyperlink Tecnologie "L-Com" 9dbi rubber duck antennas with already the rp-sma connectors with it.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a regular omni n-male or n-female antenna and the rubber duck antennas? Meaning not that one is 9 and other is 10 dbi, lets assume they are both 9dbi, its there going to be a difference in performance? Or is ts the same?

Thanks,

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: I have a kind of stupid antenna question.

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Everything depends on the quality and model of the antennas.Personal work I prefer using sector antennas for more performance.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 pm

Thank you for your answer...

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Keep in mind that antenna coverage must overlap for MIMO to work so sector antennas may not be what you need.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:35 pm

ok, been looking at antennas and I found out that for my project I really don't need mimo. I have bought a basebox and I am going to test with a luxul http://luxul.com/xw-24o-fps11. This antenna is a non-mimo antenna. Since the BaseBox its a mimo AP, how can I make it a non-mimo AP? I dont want to put two antennas on it. Do I just connect one of the sma connector to the anetnna? I suppose I just enable ch0 or ch1 right?

Thanks,

Daniel

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Uncheck chain1
Use protocol 802.11 B/G as AP

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:08 pm

You are going to loose sensitivity and 3dBi of gain when using only one antenna on a MIMO radio. To change it to single antenna you'll need to disable chain that is not connected to the antenna. That said, if you're deploying in a city than you really want MIMO as multipath interference will either rise noise floor or make connections unpredictable effectively shortening your range noticeably.