Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

5.3Ghz

Thu May 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi All, i thought id post this because when we were looking for facts on 5.3Ghz for PTMP there was very little available.

We are limited to 1W EIRP in our country for 5.3Ghz, and so with that in mind we were fairly uncertain about performance, but now with several links running i can say that it is a good performer. The only pitfalls are it MUST be line of sight, it will not tolerate tree's / bushes like 2.4ghz can, and from our experiece has a limited range of about 1.5km maximum. With higher power longer distances might be achievable. Throughput at about 1.5Km we achieved 8mbit send 8mbit receive, 4.4mbit bi-dir with signal levels around -72db per side. Latency is around 4-5ms to the AP. the AP is only loaded with a handful of customers though

This is just based on our experience, but i thought it might make interesting reading for anyone considering it as an alternative to 2.4ghz

Cheers

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 12, 2006 6:50 am

Thanks for the Info

I'm in Aussie, we are also only allowed to go to 30

I do find with 5.8 (not allowed 5.3 outside) you can get away with less signal.

I have a 25km p2p with -82 and get solid link.

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri May 12, 2006 6:52 am

Also I found

nstream give slighly more higher ping times but will keep the pings low even under load way better then disabled, I also find the polling feature very usefull.