Community discussions

MikroTik App

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Problem with the WISP

Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi guys, I had a wireless broadband service in my city for about 1-2 weeks and I have problems with the internet that it becomes very unhealthy (latency and the speed) sometimes and I have to tell it to my ISP and they fix it. But problem is that this problem occurs every week after they fix it.

From the trace route results, I think third one is the base station thay my SXT connected to...

When my internet is healthy, I get my high speeds at a fixed straight line and my pings are wonderful to the base station.

But when it is unhealthy, this is what I get.. It usually not respond, speeds are getting very low.

By the way, my signal strenght is 5/5 (Excellent), yet my ISP tells me that there is a wireless interference in my area that this occurs and they fix it (I think) by changing the channel (they do not tell how they fix it) but the fix is temporary. I need an permanent fix, Im starting to think that the base station wireless module cannot handle too many customers so this happens. When ping the base station from outside like online ping service from germany I get stable pings like 75 ms all the time so I guess their bandwidth is not the problem.

And this is the SXT they installed and the base is on the tallest white building next to the red one says MERIT. Distance is approx. 350 mt.

So guys, what is the problem you think? Im at a loss right now... What can I do? Or tell them to do? ( If they listens me :) )

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Problem with the WISP

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Any replies?

Notes: some technical guy said this.. its sad if its true :(
Current Mikrotik units (the most popular here) can't handle same speeds on the radio frequency and suffer from interference.

The problem is the hardware on the backbone infrastructure. If 20 customers that connect to a single base station generate 8Mbits of constant traffic, the existing Mikrotik radios struggle to handle it.

The new Motorola Canopy PtMP (Point to Multi-Point) access points can handle two and a half to three times the bandwidth. The PtP backbone links can handle far more bandwidth
They can handle more bandwidth without crashing. They are very reliable.

wildflower42
just joined

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 am

There are many possible problems.

Too many subscribers for the AP.

Other WISP in town changing frequency when they have interference causing this WISP to change frequency causing another WISP to change frequency. If so, they might be able to co-ordinate channels between the WISPs.

WISPs tend to use the same frequencies as every end user router. The AP and clients may need metal shielding so that they hear less of the end user routers and more WISP clients.

The list continues. If you don't have the ability to make the necessary changes, you may just suggest the WISP spend some time in here learning and troubleshooting. Some WISPs will work on the problem. Some think they are too busy to figure out a final fix and just change channels until it works at that moment.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Any replies?

Notes: some technical guy said this.. its sad if its true :(
Current Mikrotik units (the most popular here) can't handle same speeds on the radio frequency and suffer from interference.

The problem is the hardware on the backbone infrastructure. If 20 customers that connect to a single base station generate 8Mbits of constant traffic, the existing Mikrotik radios struggle to handle it.

The new Motorola Canopy PtMP (Point to Multi-Point) access points can handle two and a half to three times the bandwidth. The PtP backbone links can handle far more bandwidth
They can handle more bandwidth without crashing. They are very reliable.
Incorrect ? Put Mikrotik board in to a well designed antenna and then you have a very good and low price WISP product

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:04 pm

There are many possible problems.

Too many subscribers for the AP.

Other WISP in town changing frequency when they have interference causing this WISP to change frequency causing another WISP to change frequency. If so, they might be able to co-ordinate channels between the WISPs.

WISPs tend to use the same frequencies as every end user router. The AP and clients may need metal shielding so that they hear less of the end user routers and more WISP clients.

The list continues. If you don't have the ability to make the necessary changes, you may just suggest the WISP spend some time in here learning and troubleshooting. Some WISPs will work on the problem. Some think they are too busy to figure out a final fix and just change channels until it works at that moment.
+1 and if the WISP does not have on board someone with technical skills and experience to fault find issues, then fixes will be very temporary?

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 pm

For metal shielding.. I looked it in the internet and saw the photos of sxt that shielded rear, left, right. That looks easy to do.. but my question is, interference is everywhere , right? Like you cant shield the radio waves spreaded from the sxt in the air.. so if there is another radio wave in the air with the same frequency, it would interfere with my sxts waves, right?

So shielding the sxt is I think unnecessary thing.. Please correct me if Im wrong though. :)

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:00 am

The signals which affect your link are the signals which the radios on either end of your link can hear.

Shielding the SXT will allow it to not hear the noise on the sides and back. It will then only hear signals from the direction of your AP. That makes picking out and decoding the AP's signal much less error prone.

Think of trying to have a conversation at a cocktail party. If you are in the middle of the room trying to talk to someone 5 feet (1.5 meters) in front of you, it will be very hard. You will both have to talk very loudly. Which will cause everyone around you to talk more loudly to be heard by the other people to whom they are speaking.

Now think how much better you can hear the other person if you cup your hands behind your ears. That is the equivalent of very small, very poor quality shielding.

If you can find an alcove where there are obstructions so that most of the room is blocked from view, but you can still see the person with whom you are conversing, you will be much better able to hear them, simply because you no longer hear the rest of the room as loudly.

Do you ever stick a finger in your other ear while trying to talk on the phone? That is pretty decent shielding.

The idea of shielding is to lower the volume of the unwanted voices (signals).

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:16 am

Thank you for the helpful explanation... I will try to shield it.

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Now Im asking an irrelevant question from the subject.

I searched over the internet and I found this http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN .. I think it is the best wireless router for home usage and also it has very low price PLUS has RouterOS! Means that, you have all powerful advanced network settings on the planet :)

Am I right? Or are there any other product on earth like this?! I guess not! :)

I would get one of these.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Yes this is a very good router and the price is not bad for everything it has to offer. But I think it is a little overkill for home usage.
You can look at this one : RB951Ui-2HnD
It has everyhing needed for a home network and again you have Router OS.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:12 pm

Depends on what you expect from home router. 2011 is much better than 951. If you don't mind spending a few dollars more than there is no discussion.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Yes, that is true. The 2011 is better than the 951, no doubt about that.

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:22 am

Yep 915 is also very good... My point is, there are many routers on the market with crappy firmwares.. Of course you can flash some of them with dd-wrt or tomato, openwrt etc fws for advanced settings but still RouterOS is the most advanced software(firmware) regarding networking, you have control of everything.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:57 am

Exactly. You can also choose any of mikrotik devices, all are equipped with router os. Or you can buy license separately and install ros on any x86 device.

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:05 am

I've decided to buy this 951ui-2hnd. I saw that it has poe on eth 1 or 5 dont sure... so where should I connect my sxt? with or without the poe adapter? I dont wanna fry the sxt lol :D

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 am

The PoE Out is on ether5 and from interfaces you can choose if it is 'on' or 'off'

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Hmm ok, it says eth1 has poe in to power the router and eth5 has poe out to power the sxt (but eth5 has auto detect feature that you can connect non-poe devices without any harm).

so I want to use eth1 as WAN for sxt with sxt's power adapter (no problem). So in that case, router will power up itself? Or I need the routers power adapter plugged in aswell?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:09 am

You need to watch the amperage of the supply you are using.

You'll need enough amps to run both devices while using the PoE out feature. I suspect the 951's power supply will be more likely to have enough amps for both devices.

If you want to use one power supply for both devices and the SXT is your WAN link, you will have to power the 951 with either the barrel connector or PoE in on ether1. I would use the barrel connector if the 951 is going to be located conveniently close to a power outlet.

Then you will need to reconfigure the 951 such that ether5 is your WAN interface and plug your SXT into ether5. It is not terribly complicated, but the default config is not setup for that scenario.

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Guys can you tell me the bandwidth capacity (maximum throughput down/up) regarding the signal strength of my sxt device?

with 5 green bars (excellent) and 1.5 green bars (low) :)

Thanks...