MikroTik App

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Automatic disabling of radio

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 am

Hi there

Wondering is someone else have had this issue. We have seen that at random, the radio will get disabled. I sent the tech out there, they can still login, and just enabled the board. It has happened intermittently about 20 times out of 2000 clients. Unfortunately, the techs normally first reboot the radio before checking, so I don't have an active log of what happened. Only thing I can say is that it has only happen on CPE units, in 'station' or 'station-bridge' mode.

I have tried the latest software version, as well as reverting back to 5.26. I would say that it has happened more on v6 than any other.

Any help would be appreciated.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Automatic disabling of radio

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:00 pm

[please change the topic title with "wlan1 are automatically disabled after reboot"]

I know this bug.

And I'm able to duplicate it.

This bug happen when power source is fluctuating near the bottom of voltage required to stay on the board,
sometime when the voltage is very low the board is on but the wireless chip anre unable to stay on.
When restart, it appear as new wireless interface, and lost any settings.

There is the way how I have solved it:

Schedule this, change the value with your network value, and run every 5 minutes....
:if ([/interface wireless get wlan1 value-name=disabled] != false) do={
/interface wireless
set wlan1 country=italy band=5ghz-a/n frequency=5500 radio-name="<RADIO-NAME> (R!)" security-profile=<SECURITY-PROFILE> ssid=<SSID>;
set wlan1 comment="<COMMENT>" nv2-preshared-key=<NV2-PRESHARED-KEY> nv2-security=enabled;
/interface wireless enable wlan1;
}
If anyone use it, please add Karma, thanks.
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:21 am

Hi there

Wondering is someone else have had this issue. We have seen that at random, the radio will get disabled. I sent the tech out there, they can still login, and just enabled the board. It has happened intermittently about 20 times out of 2000 clients. Unfortunately, the techs normally first reboot the radio before checking, so I don't have an active log of what happened. Only thing I can say is that it has only happen on CPE units, in 'station' or 'station-bridge' mode.

I have tried the latest software version, as well as reverting back to 5.26. I would say that it has happened more on v6 than any other.

Any help would be appreciated.
You're not alone; http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 78#p434278
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:38 am

[please change the topic title with "wlan1 are automatically disabled after reboot"]

I know this bug.

And I'm able to duplicate it.

This bug happen when power source is fluctuating near the bottom of voltage required to stay on the board,
sometime when the voltage is very low the board is on but the wireless chip anre unable to stay on.
When restart, it appear as new wireless interface, and lost any settings.

There is the way how I have solved it:

Schedule this, change the value with your network value, and run every 5 minutes....
:if ([/interface wireless get wlan1 value-name=disabled] != false) do={
/interface wireless
set wlan1 country=italy band=5ghz-a/n frequency=5500 radio-name="<RADIO-NAME> (R!)" security-profile=<SECURITY-PROFILE> ssid=<SSID>;
set wlan1 comment="<COMMENT>" nv2-preshared-key=<NV2-PRESHARED-KEY> nv2-security=enabled;
/interface wireless enable wlan1;
}
If anyone use it, please add Karma, thanks.
@rextended; good thinking. I'm not a script kid so did not made time to make me another one.
Your script is only usable for certain cpe's within a PA-network. It needs to have the wireless settings in it.
I have many AP's so I was more looking for a script that would re-install the complete config as it is save in the weekly backup. This way it doesn't make a difference what CPE we talk, as long as the script is there, and a backup of a working CPE is available, a restore would bring it back.

One way is to use watchdog to start the restore script, but than it always happens on all CPE's ones a node that is pinged goes down. Not preferable.

Netwatch maybe, with a delay. But still, if the target is down, all CPE's testing that target start restoring.

So basically a script should test the connection status of the CPE. Whenever CPE is not associated for 5 mins or so, it should start the restore.
But actually I wouldn't know how to make a script that tests the wireless status of radio. (Looking in the registration table? How?)

Any help is appreciated.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.