Community discussions

MikroTik App

ibm
Topic Author

Best sector and dish antennas

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Hello, I'm searching for the best price/quality ratio sector and dish antennas.
I look at the Ubiquity sector AirMax 5G19-120 and the Gold-wireless-goldsadd56028dp-5ghz-28dbi-dual-polarization
Are there any better products than them avaiable in europe?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best sector and dish antennas

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:20 am

ibm
Topic Author

Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:43 am

edit
Last edited by ibm on Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wpeople

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:53 pm

RFE's sector much worse than UBNT's. Not to mention Titanium.
my 2 cents.

ibm
Topic Author

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:13 pm

RFE's sector much worse than UBNT's. Not to mention Titanium.
my 2 cents.
The RF 120° is 3db less than ubnt so I might go with the the RF sector 90°, that is 18db gain but costs 40% less than the ubiquity 90° model, are the difference enough to justify the higher cost?

wpeople

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:28 pm

in my practice, the gain (dB) is not the only measurement of the antennas.
You know, the antenna is focusing the beam. If you have 2 antennas with 120deg on both, but different gains, the higher gain will have tighter beam.
Some of the antennas has electric downtilt so you maybe need to direct the antennas upward to have the main beam in proper position.

Why i said UBNT is better, because we have compared the antenna in urban environment, and UBNT's numbers (CCQ and thruput) was much better.
Maybe that's because the manufacture quality, or maybe only caused by the metal plate on backside.
On Titanium model, the metal isolation for backware and sidelobe definitely helps in noisy enviroment.

If you connect even only 10 customer radios for the sector, i'm pretty sure, you will not mind if the the base antenna costs double (for example 200USD instead of 100USD), and gives you 10-20% more thruput and less customer calls. Keep in mind, that's 10USD/client or less.

ibm
Topic Author

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 pm

in my practice, the gain (dB) is not the only measurement of the antennas.
You know, the antenna is focusing the beam. If you have 2 antennas with 120deg on both, but different gains, the higher gain will have tighter beam.
If they are both 120° why you said that one can have tighter beam?

wpeople

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:53 pm

i'm sorry for being rude, but have you ever checked any spec???

What is the difference between a Ferrari and John Deer? both has 500horsepower...

Back to the topic:
UBNT has 2 Airmax sector antennas, with 120deg opening.
The 16dB version and 19dB version.
The 19dB version is double sized as 16dB (so double number of elements) - so 19dB has much narrower opening in vertical direction.

For those who still not understand: a narrow opening is good if the clients would fell into main beam, for example you have 3x120deg in a suburb area, with 1-2 story buildings (antenna must be mounted in the same height).

The narrow opening will NOT be good, if you have mount the antennas to the top of a 20meter pole (with no downtilting) - the main beamwidth will shoot over the rooftops.

So there are many good antennas exists, but there is NO antenna what would be a magic weapon for all things.
Like the MHz is not the only measurement of the CPU speed...

ibm
Topic Author

Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:36 pm

i'm sorry for being rude, but have you ever checked any spec???

What is the difference between a Ferrari and John Deer? both has 500horsepower...

Back to the topic:
UBNT has 2 Airmax sector antennas, with 120deg opening.
The 16dB version and 19dB version.
The 19dB version is double sized as 16dB (so double number of elements) - so 19dB has much narrower opening in vertical direction.

For those who still not understand: a narrow opening is good if the clients would fell into main beam, for example you have 3x120deg in a suburb area, with 1-2 story buildings (antenna must be mounted in the same height).

The narrow opening will NOT be good, if you have mount the antennas to the top of a 20meter pole (with no downtilting) - the main beamwidth will shoot over the rooftops.

So there are many good antennas exists, but there is NO antenna what would be a magic weapon for all things.
Like the MHz is not the only measurement of the CPU speed...
I wanted to be sure that you speak about the vertical beam and not the horizontal, I also didn't want to compare the 16 and 19db version but the 19version of the 2 brand (ubnt, rfe).
So could you advice me what is better for a urban high buildings environment?
I thinked that the rfe 90° perhaps is better because I could put more than one thanks to the lower cost and in this way I can provide more bandwith (each client will have 8 or 10mbps).
Last, according to the polar diagram (http://ubnt.masolusi.com/download/broch ... ectors.pdf) the 120° are on the H and V azimut so the double polarization provide a very extended beam if I correctly interpreted it.

wpeople

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:59 pm

I wanted to be sure that you speak about the vertical beam and not the horizontal, I also didn't want to compare the 16 and 19db version but the 19version of the 2 brand (ubnt, rfe).
I thinked that the rfe 90° perhaps is better because I could put more than one thanks to the lower cost and in this way I can provide more bandwith (each client will have 8 or 10mbps).
Last, according to the polar diagram (http://ubnt.masolusi.com/download/broch ... ectors.pdf) the 120° are on the H and V azimut so the double polarization provide a very extended beam if I correctly interpreted it.
The UBNT Titanium sector can be set to 60-90-120 deg, by moving the side panel. That will not affect the vertical opening (or not so much).
For urban environment i recommend to place the antenna as RF separated as possible (for example backside protected by lifthouse). Also Titanium works much better than any other antenna with plastik housing.
http://www.industrycortex.com/products/ ... elding-kit

In the past, Trango Broadband made an RF Shield kit, like above, what protects it's base station from side interference. (this foam absorbs specific radio waves, different foam for different wavelength)

It's not so easy to make MIMO sector antennas, since you have to build two different polarized antenna (different size as well!) into one box, with as big polarity rejection as possible.
That's why the good antennas are really pricy. (and i not mean 100USD, but 2-300USD or more!)

ibm
Topic Author

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:37 pm

The UBNT Titanium sector can be set to 60-90-120 deg, by moving the side panel. That will not affect the vertical opening (or not so much).
For urban environment i recommend to place the antenna as RF separated as possible (for example backside protected by lifthouse). Also Titanium works much better than any other antenna with plastik housing.
http://www.industrycortex.com/products/ ... elding-kit

In the past, Trango Broadband made an RF Shield kit, like above, what protects it's base station from side interference. (this foam absorbs specific radio waves, different foam for different wavelength)

It's not so easy to make MIMO sector antennas, since you have to build two different polarized antenna (different size as well!) into one box, with as big polarity rejection as possible.
That's why the good antennas are really pricy. (and i not mean 100USD, but 2-300USD or more!)

I added you karma for the advice.
Finally if I can't go for the titanium you would tell me to stay with ubnt (Airmax 120° 19db or 90° 20db)?
I searched for some shield kit but in europe I've not found anything similar for the airmax .

wpeople

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:06 pm

well, until you not give more details, i cannot give advice...
Maybe can you give a photo of your POP site, and city name? (even in private)

ibm
Topic Author

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:28 pm

It say me that I'm not autorized to send private message.

ibm
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:30 pm

Please contact me at giannilaetta[at]hotmail.it and I will reply with the photos.

ibm
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Can't you help me?

ibm
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:51 am

UP

wpeople

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:09 pm

i've sent an email to you, from [my nick] at gmail.com