Community discussions

MikroTik App

mayankthesadhu
just joined
Topic Author

Latency Issue Unresolved

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:36 am

I have been using mikrotik for around 2 years now and pretty satisfied but one thing which is bothering me from day one is latency. Some times it starts working fine but suddenly the latency increases and at times link starts RTO. The link is of PTmP type, we are having RB411AH, RB433, RB411GL and Basebox2.4 installed at different POPs with TPLINK at my clients end.

And one strange thing that i noticed that if i shut down my internet gateway, it starts pinging normally.

I have 4 POPs within cities with not more that 35 concurrent users. Do i need some routing in my network because my all mikrotik devices are in bridge mode.

Kindly help.
Thanx in advance.

HareKrishna
just joined

Re: Latency Issue Unresolved

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 pm

I would be surprised if you get a satisfactory answer here. I have faced lots and lots of problems with MT in terms of latency. No one is able to give the right insight... it's all gray area and interpretations. This is one reason I have been leaning more towards Ubiquitti these days. I see people using RocketM2/5 without any fuss but with Basebox you need to hear so many explanations as to why it doesn't work. What is the use of a device that you can't figure out how to use the way it's advertised. Never figured out how many years MT will take to come up with a simple user interface like Ubiquitti, TPlink, etc.. I have started doubting if MT can be really configured even by their experts so that users don't get latency. Just strong signal is not enough. I know there are many factors but why can't MT deal with them in a simple way like others have started doing since years.. I know experts will say it's all about configuring it but my point is different.. if they sell it to people like me, they need to address their problems too. Sorry but I am frustrated with MT although I still hope that there are ways to work with it because I still like MT products due to the way they work in terms of flexibilities.

mayankthesadhu
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:13 am

Is there any way to reduce it to some extent.

dgaveh
just joined

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:26 pm

[quote="mayankthesadhu"]I have been using mikrotik for around 2 years now and pretty satisfied but one thing which is bothering me from day one is latency. Some times it starts working fine but suddenly the latency increases and at times link starts RTO. The link is of PTmP type, we are having RB411AH, RB433, RB411GL and Basebox2.4 installed at different POPs with TPLINK at my clients end.

Hello,
I would advice you go fully mikrotik on your network, end to end. This will enable you to take advantage of mikrotik's proprietary features like nv2, in your case, which is known to improve significantly latency, data throughput and stability of links. Mixing vendors is great but at a long run you are bound to face issues as the wireless network grows.
Success..

HareKrishna
just joined

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:30 pm

Perhaps you already did but sometimes people overlook small but vital issues. have you tried changing channels? Many s/w help you find which channel is better in your area. Once I had an amazing result just by changing the channel when nothing else worked. Just in case...

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:00 am

Sounds like QoS is needed.