Community discussions

MikroTik App

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Help in Learning and Setup

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi, I hate to create another topic after just starting one but I lack the "terminology" to understand what is going on with the equipment and most importantly why.

You see, I have a small wireless system setup and running and I would like to improve it. I have two Mikrotik 532a's. Each has two radios a 2.4 and a 5.8.

So I send ethernet up to the roof unit and out the 2.4ghz to clients and then 5.8mhz to the other rely. That relay has a 2.4ghz link to clients as well.

I authenticate my users through hotspot for some and most users through ppoe (using linksys routers loaded with sevasoft). Both hotspot/pppoe talk to my radius server.

------------------------
I want to add more relays but I do not know how to find the answers I am looking for. Such as:

1) Is there a bennfit for me to just add radios to the 5gh link (daisy chain) and hang 2.4ghz off each one.

1a) if I just expand this way do i just setup wds on the 5ghz link and does this require all units to be able to see each other.

2) How about not doing any 5ghz links and just doing wds on the 2.4ghz link?

2a) do all the 2.4ghz wds links have to see each other?

or

3) Do i setup wds on both 5.8 and 2.4ghz links for roaming and backhaul to every tower?

Regards,
Michael

kipmckay

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 am

Are you trying to use the 5.8 as the "Backbone and the 2.4 for the clients?

I can help if this is what you are looking for.