Community discussions

MikroTik App

evilkenevil
just joined
Topic Author

SXT AC withouth line of site

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:19 pm

I'm wondering if someone would be able to help with helping me figure out of if a wireless connection is going to be able to work.

I've recently bought a house not too far away from a friend and we're trying to check that a wireless link will be possible between our two properties. It's not quite line of sight, there is the top of a building that is in the way.

I've attached a very crude diagram.
p-m.png
The distance that needs to be covered is around 150-200M and excluding the buildings is line of sight (however this obviously still means its not line of sight :D ). Is this link something that should work, or are we out of luck ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: SXT AC withouth line of site

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:21 pm

On this distance it will work, but don't expect great results.

Bergante
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:38 pm

You could try bouncing the signal on the building at the bottom of your drawing, but forget high data rates.

dohmniq
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:08 pm

You could try bouncing the signal on the building at the bottom of your drawing, but forget high data rates.
I've never tried bouncing a signal - have you or anyone else managed to get it to work? Do you think an angle nearer to 90° (purple) works better than very acute angle (cyan)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:40 pm

For bouncing the distance, material of the "looking glass" and the bounce angle matters. Better to use offset pole holders to achieve the visibility or to place antennas off the houses. Or on one side only if it is enough. Bouncing is too much speculative.
What is the obstacle material? Can't you place antennas on the roofs and shoot over?

evilkenevil
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Alas extending the antennas out to get line of sight is not going to be possible due to other houses being too close! The issue with putting them higher will be that the building in the way is a whole story higher :( We will try to see if we can do a reflection as mentioned, or if we can move it to higher at all

Thanks!

onnoossendrijver

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:42 am

I recently build a connection like this through 3 buildings. It works very well. Speed and reliability are fine. I used normal SXT.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am

I recently build a connection like this through 3 buildings. It works very well. Speed and reliability are fine. I used normal SXT.
This depends very much on the buildings and on the used/allowed TX-Power.

onnoossendrijver

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm

This depends very much on the buildings and on the used/allowed TX-Power.
Of-course... When there is no line-of-sight it is always a bit of a gamble.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 pm

I have one SXT-r2 connected over 130 meters to a Omnitik. There is a building covering the line of sight. The SXT is almost touching a big tree it has to penetrate. Signals in the-55 range, +90% CCQ with 130Mbps tx/rx connection rates. Perfect connection.

It could be that part of the signal is bounced via a building some 40 meters away from the path, but the SXT is in a 70 degree angle with that direction.

Actually in doing the site visit my first thoughts were "impossible" but the client insisted in a try out and to my surprise it worked quit well! :D