Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jd6strings
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Configuring RB112 for AP Bridge and what about the client??

Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:58 pm

I've configured a RB112 in ap bridge mode in the 5.8 GHz frequency. I added a bridge between wlan1 and eth1 AND also configured the default gateway.

Now on the client side we configured in such a manner that the client successfully associates with the AP BUT it will NOT pass traffic. The client is set for station mode and we originally had configured a bridge and added the wlan1 and eth1 to the bridge BUT I've read here on the forums that you CAN'T do that.

Please note that 'Default Authenticate' is enabled in both AP and Client.

Can someone please provide a basic sample configuration as to how to configure the AP and the Client so that the client associates with the AP and CAN pass WWW traffic??

Thank you kindly!!! :)

riteway
just joined

Me too!

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:37 pm

I also am having trouble doing this same thing on the RB112 with both SR2 cards and SR9 cards.

The only thing I have been able to get working is the "Transparently Bridge Two Networks" wiki with the SR2 cards, not the SR9's.

I've tried configuring an SR2 card in the RB112 to act as a general access point, where any client can connect, with no luck. The SSID shows up, I can connect with my laptop, but no traffic is passed.

I've also tried vice versa, using an SR2 and RB112 as a client to connect to a linksys AP. Same results - connects, but no traffic is passed.

If there is a wiki or howto somewhere showing how to configure these as general access points or clients, it would be great if somebody could point it out to me.

Thanks!

Diganet

Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:57 pm

Have you defined a bridge and added the ports to that so that you actually can reach from one interface to the other?

/Henrik

riteway
just joined

Thanks

Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:24 pm

That'll do it!

I knew it would be something simple. Thanks.

riteway
just joined

Oops.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:03 pm

I guess I jumped the gun a little...

I'm still having problem configuring the station. When I create an AP with the RB112 and an SR2, I can connect to it from several different wireless devices in my office, doesn't matter what brand. Even when I put the other SR2 card into my laptop, I can connect to the AP.

When I try to create a station with another RB112 and an SR2, I check the status through winbox - it says it's connected to the access point, good signal, etc. However, no traffic will pass through.

On both the access point and the station, I create a bridge between ether1 and wlan1, then assign the bridge an IP address. Is there something else I have to do on the station?

Also - once the station RB112 says it has connected to the AP, I usually cannot get back into it through winbox. I get a "Router has been disconnected" error.

cibernet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Oops.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:52 am

I guess I jumped the gun a little...

I'm still having problem configuring the station. When I create an AP with the RB112 and an SR2, I can connect to it from several different wireless devices in my office, doesn't matter what brand. Even when I put the other SR2 card into my laptop, I can connect to the AP.

When I try to create a station with another RB112 and an SR2, I check the status through winbox - it says it's connected to the access point, good signal, etc. However, no traffic will pass through.

On both the access point and the station, I create a bridge between ether1 and wlan1, then assign the bridge an IP address. Is there something else I have to do on the station?

Also - once the station RB112 says it has connected to the AP, I usually cannot get back into it through winbox. I get a "Router has been disconnected" error.
You cant use station mode with a bridge it`s a protocol limitation...

Regards
José Ignacio Acosta
MikroTik Consultant IDAR0001
Mikronet

Movile: +54 9 3472-624722
Email/Msn: info[at]mikronet.com.ar

riteway
just joined

Router?

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:20 am

I see...

So I must set this up as a router? I would rather have everything on the same subnet.

I have a Senao 2611 at my office, and would like to connect to it with a RB112 / SR2 combo at my house, but remain on the same subnet. Any way to do this?

That's not what I'm planning on having for a permanent setup, I would just like to test out these SR2 cards over different distances to get a feel for their capabilities.

Thanks for the help.

valens
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:28 pm

It's on the manual. Use EoIP or WDS
http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.9/in ... #4.13.21.2