Community discussions

MikroTik App

Quicksivler
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: AC equipment and spectral scan problem

Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:26 am

Well, if they are not, we all might be better start looking for replacement. The wifi industry is ever advancing, if they don't move in not too long they will loose the wifi market. Which would be a pity.

I'll guess we should just keep on complaining and hopefully they hear us. The more complaints, the more change they will do something... 8)
I 'd like to understand the silence of mikrotik about this questions!!!
I think we all would!

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Well, if they are not, we all might be better start looking for replacement. The wifi industry is ever advancing, if they don't move in not too long they will loose the wifi market. Which would be a pity.

I'll guess we should just keep on complaining and hopefully they hear us. The more complaints, the more change they will do something... 8)
I 'd like to understand the silence of mikrotik about this questions!!!
I think we all would!
Nobody at the Mum asked the question in private? And could he/she maybe share the answers with us? That would be nice!
(Next week there is a MUM in Russia. Anybody going there??

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Can't be more agree

Priority should be like:
no. 1: Spectral scan / history on ac units.
no. 2: Spectral scan / history in background for ANY wireless unit.
no. 3: Sync
no. 4; SSID (and other) identifying capability included in the same spectral scan process.
no. 5: Power output reading in ac units.
Totally agree, but don't forget 10MHz support for AC chipsets

We can't install last products (Netmetal, mantbox, dynadish...), cause spectrum here is hardly congested, and we must use 10MHz channel on PtP and PTMP links

"Isn't supported by hardware" isn't a convincent answer. The U brand supports spectral scan (even without disconecting the link) and 5/10mhz channel width...

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 14, 2016 2:07 am

Can't be more agree

Priority should be like:
no. 4; SSID (and other) identifying capability included in the same spectral scan process.

We can't install last products (Netmetal, mantbox, dynadish...), cause spectrum here is hardly congested, and we must use 10MHz channel on PtP and PTMP links

"Isn't supported by hardware" isn't a convincent answer. The U brand supports spectral scan (even without disconecting the link) and 5/10mhz channel width...
Not to mention the Mim.. brand

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 14, 2016 2:12 am

Can't be more agree

Priority should be like:

The Orange M brand has lots of advantages and improvments, but doesn't support 10MHz channels

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 14, 2016 3:44 am

The Orange M brand has lots of advantages and improvments, but doesn't support 10MHz channels
Got it... Thanks for the clarification

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 14, 2016 11:05 am

"U brand", "Orange M" brand, "Mim brand"; What are you guys talking about? :?

Quicksivler
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 14, 2016 11:34 am

I'm guessing there's a reason why they arn't using the manufacturers names..... dont know why though.. and can't think of "Orange M"

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 14, 2016 11:43 am

I'm guessing there's a reason why they arn't using the manufacturers names..... dont know why though.. and can't think of "Orange M"
hmm "U-brand" = Ubiquity, "Mim brand" = Mimosa, "Orange brand" = ??? (Orange, mobile phone operator in Europe? Don't think so.) Could be Radwin. They use a lot of orange in their prospects and webpage etc....

So, we've said it.... :D

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 14, 2016 2:10 pm

"Orange M":

Don't forget this is a manufacturer official forum. In most of manufacturer forums, is strictly forbidden mention or write about competitors brands

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 14, 2016 2:52 pm

"Orange M":

Don't forget this is a manufacturer official forum. In most of manufacturer forums, is strictly forbidden mention or write about competitors brands
Yes, but this is Mikrotik forum. We discussed others before and name others if of need. This doesn't mean just plain promotion to the other product.
When we name others, we usually should name more than one and in a crictial way.
It's more to show that Mikrotik can do the same or better than others, or give suggestion to Mikrotik staff in what direction they should move to improve their product line....

Just banning the naming of other product would be short sighted and ignorant. Everybody looks somewhere else and compares. Like I need to keep an eye on what my competition does do to adjust my sales strategy. I'd prefer my clients to tell me if the comp is offering better conditions, so I can adjust. Therefore Mikrotik staff should be happy to the mentioning of other, as long as it is done with good intentions.

So relax, name what you want but in a sensible way......

jondavy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Can't be more agree

Priority should be like:
and
no. 6: 10mhz channel-width

I will download it from the tower and put back the SXT SA5
because I had not good experience with MantBox5

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Let's keep praying for this before the hell freezes over ... :lol:
Can't be more agree

Priority should be like:
and
no. 6: 10mhz channel-width

I will download it from the tower and put back the SXT SA5
because I had not good experience with MantBox5

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:07 am

You know what I don't get. Just like Nokia, Blackberry, and many other examples; too little, too late. Mikrotik has something extra-ordinary. If they could only implement these mentioned features, they will be right up there with the big boys. Unfortunately its seems they do not think that this is relevant or important. They feel there is not enough revenue in wireless to continue advancing it. It is sad really. When you have a whole network deployed with 1000's of Mikrotiks, only to come to the conclusion that you are getting all the more closer to hitting the sealing.
The response we get from Mikrotik on this post, is evident of that. I think they replied once ?

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:28 am

Poorman's spectrum analyzer?

Yes, lots of hardware has spectral scan.. but anyone in the business wouldn't use it. If you need to do a real scan, you use hardware designed for that. Hell, even the cheap MetaGeek WiSpy is better than a WiFi radio that has to channel hop to scan.

boardman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:24 am

MetaGeek, certainly can do the job. the problem is you have to climb a tower install the spectrum scanner, do your tests, select the best channel, next week all the wireless check-board has shifted, you have to climb again, install the scanner, do your tests, select best channel... 2 months later same story... I'm positively convinced MKtik should have a spectrum analyzer included / embedded.

Best
Poorman's spectrum analyzer?

Yes, lots of hardware has spectral scan.. but anyone in the business wouldn't use it. If you need to do a real scan, you use hardware designed for that. Hell, even the cheap MetaGeek WiSpy is better than a WiFi radio that has to channel hop to scan.

pospanko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 am

Any news about this?
I would like someone come from MT to my company and try to check links as i do last few months. Without spectral scan we are doomed. It's major tool for us. You should implement futures like this even before putting new chipsets to market.

Quicksivler
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:21 am

Any news about this?
I would like someone come from MT to my company and try to check links as i do last few months. Without spectral scan we are doomed. It's major tool for us. You should implement futures like this even before putting new chipsets to market.
I agree but this mikrotik seems to ignore us

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 am

It looks like we can implement Spectral Scan, but it will take some time. It is on our to-do list
Hi Normis - 2 years have passed - is this still in the planning or not ? What we need to decide is if we have to forklift our PtMP network and replace it with something that can GPS sync and also spectral analysis. This would absolutely complete the Mikrotik family in my opinion - and save us a truckload of money. Please Mikrotik, we are desperate !!

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:32 pm

We also still waiting for spectral scan :( :( :(

networkfudge
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:01 pm

The absence of spectral scan/history features make working with NetMetal and other Mtik AC radios a bit like a stab in the dark.

Mikrotik: you shone a bright light in the way of achieving wireless perfection with these fine weapons, why did you take them away from us?

How are we supposed to properly fine tune a troubleshoot wireless links on AC?

Let me tell you: With a lot of guessing and a lot of luck!

It's like performing surgery with.. a kitchen knife: Of course it's possible but the result won't be nearly as good as with a surgical scalpel!

All jokes aside, if anyone from Mikrotik reads this: Please prioritize the reinstation of spectral scan/history as a matter of urgency.

Your customers count on them to do their job properly.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:11 am

Any news in 2017? We need spectral-history for AC boards :(

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:19 am

Every time I get a reply email, my hopes shoot through the roof ! Only to find the Mikrotik is still M.I.A on this. Such a pity.

pospanko
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

I'll start sending invoices to MT for extra cost I have because we don't have this ;)

marrold

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 am

+1 :)

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 am

Hi there

I realise that the forum is not a paid service, however; in 2 years, we have had no real updated response from Mikrotik. We are being unwillingly forced to look at alternatives as we cannot properly utilize the AC products without a spectrum analyzer. The fact is also that the bigger hardware are built only into the AC products, so we are limited in that respect also.

I agree that I as a customer have no knowledge as to what it intales to introduce a spectral scanner in the AC products, but our network consists of 70 highsites, and we have a Mikrotik only network. Now we are stuck as we cannot introduce AC PtMP solutions because of our dense towers.

The only 2 features that seperate Mikrotik from Carrier Class Wireless solutions, are spectral analysis, and GPS sync. It might be too little too late when you finally do it, but it is of great expense into our profit margin when we have to forklift the PtMP Mikrotik network, for something like Mimosa, Cambium and the likes. Also, we really love Mikrotik and would genuinely stay with it ! If we can just utilize the industry standards that are implemented so many other vendors.

I sincerely hope this reaches someone with actual power at Mikrotik, and that you would be able to give us a timeline on this.

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:52 pm

The only 2 features that seperate Mikrotik from Carrier Class Wireless solutions, are spectral analysis, and GPS sync.

Better filters, MU-MIMO, more flexible wireless (change frequency without lost connections, double frequency, spearate channels...), better wireless protocol, auto-balancing...the work is hard and i don't see the start.

2jarek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:00 pm

The only 2 features that seperate Mikrotik from Carrier Class Wireless solutions, are spectral analysis, and GPS sync.

Better filters, MU-MIMO, more flexible wireless (change frequency without lost connections, double frequency, spearate channels...), better wireless protocol, auto-balancing...the work is hard and i don't see the start.

& real fdd 75/25 mode for AP need DL speed for customers no symmetric 50/50

tonymobile

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 pm

It seems clear that mirotik clearly does not want to invest on wireless, MT now wants to sell just ccr

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:28 pm

It looks like we can implement Spectral Scan, but it will take some time. It is on our to-do list
This post is from 11. November 2014!!!

More than 2 years passed. Sad, very sad :(

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 am

Mikrotik doesnt interest in this Feature.
This is The hard truth.

We will Never See:
GPS
NV2 with selectable Rates like 75/25
802.11ad
And much more, because Wireless is not longer Main Focus for Mikrotik Products.

We have seen it The Last years, Why SXT ac releases more then 3 years before Omnitik Af or mant15s?
They just dont care!

Mistry7

motorola
just joined

Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Scanning does not work spectral-history SXT HG5 ac r2, while the radio mode the ap brige menu tx power shows the void

motorola
just joined

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:14 am

Fix it please

motorola
just joined

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Does anyone else know about this problem?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Does anyone else know about this problem?
We are waiting 3 years for that "feature"
mikrotik miss this in AC-Hardware.

taduikis

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:54 am

Well, with recent competition from mobile operators, for those, who are based on MT-only networks, sad days are comming.. Clients are demanding higher throughput, simply because content dictates the need for it. I've been exploring countless of options of what to do to survive, and currently I came with such options:
- deploy fiber where you can. It's expensive, but less expensive long term, when you don't need to replace radios every 2 years or so..
- use narrow beam antennas, like horns and keep low client count per AP. It works better with N than with AC for me. I use good old RB912s.
- wait for Cambium to complete their Elevate program for MT hardware. I've seen network where only AP's have been replaced and CPEs were left Ubnt. The performace was staggering..

We've already dropped our MT wireless purchases by 80%, and eventually we'll stop buying them, because lots of equipment is left after migration and nothing new to choose from.

I really like RouterOS, The Dude, all the MT good features: 10-30V DC input, PoE in/out ports, SFP, etc.. For years I criticized other vendors web management and adored the power of ROS.. But today I'd do anything for performance, so slowly we're moving to other brand (all the new APs in new territories are installed using non-MT hardware) and waiting for solutions to upgrade our existing network without replacing thousands of MT CPEs on client premises.. What would prevent me from doing that is some wireless miracle from MT side. To my opinion it's not impossible, because others have done it and achieved some increadible results with the same Atheros based hardware. GPS Sync, 75/25 TDD, beamforming, adj. channel filtering is the key components for it. You'd only need to replace AP side equipment to do that, some features, like 75/25 dl/ul ratio, to my opinion, could be done already by software.. So I don't really know what are they waiting for.

But after waiting for AC spectral scan for more than 2 yrs, the message is clear, we're all on our own..

soulflyhigh
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 am

Well, with recent competition from mobile operators, for those, who are based on MT-only networks, sad days are comming.. Clients are demanding higher throughput, simply because content dictates the need for it. I've been exploring countless of options of what to do to survive, and currently I came with such options:
- deploy fiber where you can. It's expensive, but less expensive long term, when you don't need to replace radios every 2 years or so..
- use narrow beam antennas, like horns and keep low client count per AP. It works better with N than with AC for me. I use good old RB912s.
- wait for Cambium to complete their Elevate program for MT hardware. I've seen network where only AP's have been replaced and CPEs were left Ubnt. The performace was staggering..

We've already dropped our MT wireless purchases by 80%, and eventually we'll stop buying them, because lots of equipment is left after migration and nothing new to choose from.

I really like RouterOS, The Dude, all the MT good features: 10-30V DC input, PoE in/out ports, SFP, etc.. For years I criticized other vendors web management and adored the power of ROS.. But today I'd do anything for performance, so slowly we're moving to other brand (all the new APs in new territories are installed using non-MT hardware) and waiting for solutions to upgrade our existing network without replacing thousands of MT CPEs on client premises.. What would prevent me from doing that is some wireless miracle from MT side. To my opinion it's not impossible, because others have done it and achieved some increadible results with the same Atheros based hardware. GPS Sync, 75/25 TDD, beamforming, adj. channel filtering is the key components for it. You'd only need to replace AP side equipment to do that, some features, like 75/25 dl/ul ratio, to my opinion, could be done already by software.. So I don't really know what are they waiting for.

But after waiting for AC spectral scan for more than 2 yrs, the message is clear, we're all on our own..
I completely agree with taduikis.
It seems that switch to new p2mp radio platform is the only option left to survive in today's market.
Nv2 is good but just not good enough because of underlying 802.11 technology.

Regards,
M.

motorola
just joined

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm

On the same AC chips as a mikrotik, Ubiquiti has a spectral analysis, how is this to be understood?

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Please all - write to support@mikrotik.com
It's the only way to get something done. It's promised more than 3 years and nothing is happening ...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Since we use our own custom drivers, to support all the stuff specific to RouterOS, it is not easy to add features. Other manufacturers use other drivers.

2jarek
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi normis but it's easy way for spectral scan.....FREQ USAGE + 5mhz step works. Need only graph + time scale nothing more.

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:22 pm

Spectral scan is not simple as that, but on the other hand shame on You Normis to keep quiet for more than two years about this issue! Give us at least some semi-working / broken / crappy version of spectral for AC, so we could have something to hope for.

nordex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 01, 2017 1:19 am

normis,
switch to manufacturer driver when scanning spectrum, and then switch back

motorola
just joined

Mon May 01, 2017 8:45 pm

normis,
LifeHack :D

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 pm

normis,
Or switch to "Other manufacturer" driver which have spetral scan. You certainly know the manufacturer. And then switch back

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 01, 2017 9:24 pm

I only hope that Normis will not be quiet for two years, and since he is alive in this topic maybe that is some kind of a sign that something is coming :)

taduikis

Mon May 01, 2017 10:51 pm

normis,
Well, it's not something not seen in other manufacturers implementations. For example Cambium: you have to reboot the device to switch to Spectral Scan mode. This probably suggest they switch the driver just for that mode, hence they've gone the easier way while implementing the feature. After you've done your scans you have to change mode to AP and reboot once again. It's sure inconvenient, presents downtime, but it's still better than putting separate antenna with RB912 just to do spectral scan. And with ROS boot times, the downtime isn't really that bad (having in mind that spectral scan itself is also downtime, so a minute or so doesn't really matter).

MikroTik, we understand your challenges, but please see that this feature holds weight, community need it. Consider this advice and don't be afraid to implement some hack-style functions. We don't really matter if it looks unprofessional, unfinished, drafty, etc.. We need functionality. We do bussiness here, not fashion show or exhibition.. If you need, release the separate package for that. I don't really mind installing the package just for doing spectral scan.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Taduikis we Pray for this about 3 years now, my Hope is gone, The only advice in Noise regions, Dont bye Mikrotik !

letabawireless
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 am

Normis,

What this whole community is trying to find out is, are we going to get there with Mikrotik, or can we get a definite answer that we won't ? For us, who have proudly had a Mikrotik only network, with about 5000 devices in the field, I think it is just fair to tell us the truth. Give us at least a timeline, a hacked up version like what has been suggested, or at least something ? The fact of the matter is the implications for us are huge - if Mikrotik won't have a solution ever, it means the wireless part of our network - at least the PtMP has to be forklifted and replaced, at our expense, not the clients. Also, clients need to be migrated then to Cambium, Mimosa, and the likes. If you are busy with it, we don't want to run half our network on Mikrotik and the rest on something else. I love Mikrotik, and would battle it out to keep it that way. But we cannot carry on without a definite answer.
Is the development team busy with this ? What are you looking to implement ? What can we expect within the next 6 months ? Please answer us this question. Is there a problem that we need to pay for support, or for development of something like this ? I am sure that if costs are the issue, we could round up a few ISP's to help with that. We desperately need this.
Please answer us ! Hear our cries !
Thank you

lustyffh

Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 pm

There will never be a spectral scan for AC radio unless Mikrotik changes its business positioning. Don't you understand that spectral scan is a premium licensed feature from Qualcomm. If Mikrotik acquires such license it will no longer be competitive on the market. So far Mikrotiks are ~20% cheaper than ubnt if comparing in TOV terms for the overall solution. Qualcomm are not that stupid and understand very well increased business need for spectral scan in AC devices, so they started cahrging for it. BTW, same is for end product price difference between 2x2 and 3x3 devices.

Wireless is not a core capability for Mikrotik anymore. Just look at the software changelog - where do you see most manpower is spent on?

In terms of product roadmap. If you are large enough - go and talk to your account manager. It's no point raising this question here. Be grateful that Mikrotik is supportive enough to keep this forum running for SMB/SOHO users.

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:25 pm

more than 3 years and counting :(

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:32 pm

This is The hard truth.

We will Never See:
GPS
802.11ad

We have seen it The Last years, Why SXT ac releases more then 3 years before Omnitik Af or mant15s?
They just dont care!

Mistry7
GPS -- Still a no go.. and honestly, even on the competition the GPS implementation really sucks!. I have a couple AirFibers and PRISMs with the GPS sync disabled, they are really a pain in the ass.
NV2: Selectable rates... Done on 6.40x
802.11ad: Done. Wireless wire and LHG60
its easy to be a Forum warrior seeking for the truth, but that attitude of "Prove me wrong" sucks...

Just saying...
Regards.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:55 pm

My secret wish is that 802.11ac wave2 products will support spectral scan

erebusodora
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 am

A few days ago I got LHG XL5AC and disappointed that the Spectral Scan function did not work. I can not understand why the functions that do not exist or do not work do not write them in the technical specifications. The line is true but the funds are wrong. We may have to wait another three years...again

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:56 pm

Gratulation you buyed a Wave 2 device without Wave 2 Feature Support

For us waiting has ended....

We did internal tests with UBNT, Ligowave and next week we will get mimosa, all have Spectral Scan, and in more and more crowded band this is the only option to operate + Protocol that uses GPS sync.

Ligowave Performance is good, but mimosa C5c fits better in our Antenna concept

We don’t buy Mikrotik outdoor Wireless anymore

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:29 pm

Gratulation you buyed a Wave 2 device without Wave 2 Feature Support

For us waiting has ended....

We did internal tests with UBNT, Ligowave and next week we will get mimosa, all have Spectral Scan, and in more and more crowded band this is the only option to operate + Protocol that uses GPS sync.

Ligowave Performance is good, but mimosa C5c fits better in our Antenna concept

We don’t buy Mikrotik outdoor Wireless anymore
well, hold your horses....

I work with Mimosa, to my satisfaction. 40 users per AP, 50, 100 and 200 Mb contracts and I am a client myself of a 42 station tower and can do 250Mb dowload if my pipes give me room (80Mhz wide channel in SRS mode)
BUT, all stations within 300 meter range. And within a 500 meter radius we have 4 Mimosa A5's but only two syncd. The others just didn't work on the frequencies we'd use for the syncd pair nor could I swap them into the other frequency. One way or another we run into interference with other APs' or Backhaul radio's.
So sync works, but it's not the holy grail..... it still needs a lot of 'search and test' before you find working frequencies.
For longer distances, above 500 meters up to 10km I don't see Mimosa giving same advantages. Mimosa, like any other, needs high S/N ratios to get good MCS rates to get to the high speeds. Since a A5c (you need to start working with directional or high gain beam forming sectors now) has less output then a Netmetal so far we didn't get good results with Mimosa compared to a 'n' working Netmetal.
We need to test more but we loose 3-5dB on the clients with a Mimosa and that makes the MCS drop, that due the distance already are lower then in a <300 meter cell...

I recently did a test with a 5 station (SXT-ac's) P2MP network with an Omnitik-ac and I could run 40-50+ mbps per 3/4 clients at the same time and go towards a total throughput of around (below and beyond) 200Mbps over the AP!

If we now compare a 10 x SXT-AC + Omnitik network costing me some 400 + 80 = a small 500€ towards the same setup for a Mimosa; 10x 135 + 750 = 2100€ then it depends on your business model and strategy which is the way to go....

If you need to compete with fibre in densely populated neighbourhood and can justify the investment, I would go for Mimosa.
If you have like me some 20 AP's in the countryside with customers anywhere between 200meter and 5Km then I would stick with Mikrotik.

In Europe the average monthly return per customer is only about 20€ (or less) per month. The extra investment compared to the little extra speed in Mimosa is not justifiable imho.
We'd rather spend the money in extra robust high capacity back hauls.

Presently we are studying a small town small cell network based upon Mikrotik. A full 60Ghz backbone network and each cell a OmniTik-ad with PoE. (Each Omnitik can supply power to the 60Ghz devices. Simple setup, only one battery pack and charger needed) If we get up to 20 customer per AP and we need some 15 of these our ROI will be short.

If we'd do the same with Mimosa we need extra routers, we need 48V power solution with more batteries etc. etc. We probably more then triple our investment and thus our ROI becomes much longer too......

It's not only about 'what is the best'. Real life means also we need to take a look at the money..... ;-)

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:10 pm

I recently did a test with a 5 station (SXT-ac's) P2MP network with an Omnitik-ac and I could run 40-50+ mbps per 3/4 clients at the same time and go towards a total throughput of around (below and beyond) 200Mbps over the AP!
can you share pictures of this, we could push

85MBit @ 20 MHz
125 MBit @ 40 MHz
TCP with iperf
This speeds was tested with 802.12 because Nv2 gives us smaller bandwidth
And that only in absolute clean Spektrum
Omnitik a/c to SXT ac (not lite)
80Mhz channel is not useable here, we are happy to find working 20Mhz

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 am

This is The hard truth.

We will Never See:
GPS
802.11ad

They just dont care!

Mistry7
GPS -- Still a no go.. and honestly, even on the competition the GPS implementation really sucks!. I have a couple AirFibers and PRISMs with the GPS sync disabled, they are really a pain in the ass.
its easy to be a Forum warrior seeking for the truth, but that attitude of "Prove me wrong" sucks...

Just saying...
Regards.
You did something wrong with your gps sync tests. Works great for us. Makes a big difference using the same 40Mhz Channel back 2 back.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am

This is The hard truth.

We will Never See:
GPS
802.11ad

They just dont care!

Mistry7

Just saying...
Regards.
You did something wrong with your gps sync tests. Works great for us. Makes a big difference using the same 40Mhz Channel back 2 back.
Maybe it works, please show it with screenshot of pictures, if we do this bandwidth drops more than half ! And this is what most users here report!

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:16 am

This is The hard truth.

We will Never See:
GPS
802.11ad

They just dont care!

Mistry7

Just saying...
Regards.
Maybe it works, please show it with screenshot of pictures, if we do this bandwidth drops more than half ! And this is what most users here report!
You don't understand how gps sync works. You don't half the performance you have a fixed up/down rate.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am

Does we have GPS sync in Mikrotik, that is what I talking about, I know the benefit, but we don’t have it!

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:14 am

Does we have GPS sync in Mikrotik, that is what I talking about, I know the benefit, but we don’t have it!
No and we will not get it. You only get it using a product where it is implemented. I need it, so I bought it.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 am

No and we will not get it. You only get it using a product where it is implemented. I need it, so I bought it.
An this is the way i´m walking now.
I buyed for testing:
UBNT, Ligowave, Mimosa, and when i don´t find something i like, i will test Cambium too.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:38 am

I buyed for testing:
UBNT, Ligowave, Mimosa, and when i don´t find something i like, i will test Cambium too.
There are different class radios in your testing. Some are wifi based others are not. You may mix them for different applications. Take care they have the same gps-timing if you plan to use them in the same band. They behave different with interference (on channel/neigboring channel). We see the non wifi based products work better with near channel and go up to 1024QAM with good installations.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:08 pm

I buyed for testing:
There are different class radios in your testing. Some are wifi based others are not. You may mix them for different applications. Take care they have the same gps-timing if you plan to use them in the same band. They behave different with interference (on channel/neigboring channel). We see the non wifi based products work better with near channel and go up to 1024QAM with good installations.
Thats clear .
Comparison SXT to Airfiber eg

But when i compare

SXTsq AC........... / DLB-5-20ac................/ mimosa c5c
This is all ac-Hardware

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:31 pm

I buyed for testing:
Thats clear .
Comparison SXT to Airfiber eg

But when i compare

SXTsq AC........... / DLB-5-20ac................/ mimosa c5c
This is all ac-Hardware
Yes. And of course the airmax ac stuff. Bad thing is you see a lot of the pros/cons only running them in the field. Esp how they scale with >10 CPEs connected with different conditions. E.g. we tried the epmp1k line (11n based) and had good results with low numbers but ran into problems with more cpes connected. Lot of reconnects even with low load. I know wisps which are very happy with them but I guess my towers where to loaded or it is a interference thing.
So put them on a loaded tower and work with some test customers before ordering higher numbers.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Bad thing is you see a lot of the pros/cons only running them in the field. Esp how they scale with >10 CPEs connected with different conditions. E.g. we tried the epmp1k line (11n based) and had good results with low numbers but ran into problems with more cpes connected. Lot of reconnects even with low load. I know wisps which are very happy with them but I guess my towers where to loaded or it is a interference thing.
So put them on a loaded tower and work with some test customers before ordering higher numbers.
Isn't that the problem with testing and the claims most vendors make. They all work good in clean spectrum with one or two clients. Probably still with 5 to 10.
But how many Wisps work with such low tower usage?
Most of us will have 20 or more clients connected to a tower and that sits in a heavy uses spectrum.
Now the good will stand out above the moderate and poor.

I use Mikrotik in all kinds of constellations but 30-35 clients is really the maximum. Don't expect speeds higher then 20-25Mbps.
I have one eCambium eMP2000 with beamforming antenna that works absolutely fine. But only 5 clients, amongst two ubiquity CPE's with elevate firmware.
We use them to connect business with 50/50 u/d mbps speeds and that is fine. In a crowded environment. But actually never see 2 or more clients demanding high amounts of traffic anyway... so really not so much to say here about the performance under 'heavy' conditions....

Last year we rolled out Mimosa with 4 A5's and 125 clients now in a 400 meter radius urban area.
There is lots of interference from many backhauls and other AP overshooting the area. All these A5's work in 80Mhz bandwidth and only two sync'd. One unit is in the same band but where the two synch have the upper channel as primary, this one sits in the lower channel as primary. The fourth unit has a slightly shifted band but still overlaps partially both the other units...

95% of the clients have 300mb or higher connection rates and when we test the client after install we won't accept real speeds lower then 50Mbps.
Many units though can easy reach 150 or 200Mbps downloads and I see regular throughput's over the AP's well over 100mbps of combined client traffic.

In any of our Mikrotik based P2MP networks 80mbps throughputt is about the maximum (20/40Mhz bandwidth channels)
But like I said earlier, I did do a test with a 4 sxt-ac P2MP network on a Omnitik-ac and 80Mhz bandwidth channel and also pushed into the 150Mbps throughputs.

But every network has its specifics so its hard to compare and make real life scenario performances on any product I'd presume. It's more a 'gutt'-feeling about the stuff you's use and it's also important to have a good backbone network in Gb connections behind the AP's.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 am

All the discussion in here are GREAT, really useful, detailed info and stats- thanks!

I hope we can also keep the focus on AC Spectral scan (and when will it come MT??). pls, any kind of ETA or info??

I mainly do APs for end user clients/devices (ie building or apartment wifi), but i can add one of my experiences:

8x Omnitik AC poe's each spread out over a job site, (12ft to 25ft off the ground) (each omnitik was on a pole, and each is poe (af) powering 3 or 4x IP cams on that pole. ~0.2 mbit to 1mbit per cam, thus total BW at AP= 5-15mbit, 24/7/365). 1 of the 8 was the AP, all others station Bridge back to the AP (but for 1 we had to use as a repeater via virtual interface->AP , to power a station that was weak at the AP) . all RSSIs are -40 to -52 tx/rx (all within ~1500ft of each other) this was a very noisy environment (high-rise apartments near by, thus all their own APs, a SSID scan at 5g would show 200 5g APs in a few min, if left scanning overnight, would find 400+ aps !).
We found 5220 @ 20/40mhz eC 2x Chain locked to AC-only worked best for consistency (we didnt have alot of ch choices as USA locked and all are USA outdoor radios).
With regular MT bw test (through the AP via an extra, eth connected MT to AP)
TCP: max to a single client ~100mbit (tx or rx)
UDP: max to a single client 80-160mbit

TCP to all 7x clients, TOTAL ~45-65mbit (ie tcp doing 5-10mbit bw tests to EACH station, simultaneously). not bad, and they have been certainly doing their job for about 1.5 years now (only about 6 monthly left on job).
(+ the 802.3af poe on 4 of the eth ports was SUPER helpful in this case, 1x eth pushing ONLY 48v power from a DC 48v .8amp transformer to the omnitik is all that is needed for 4x ip cams! ( * 7x setups = ~25 easy to deploy/move outdoor "wireless" ipcams, needing only 1 x 110v plug per setup) + i can power reset the cams when needed. all for ~100$ and running directly outdoor/in weather).

anyway, a bit back to the point of this thread, i was VERY disappointed when once these were deployed i wasnt able to run spectral-scan, which i assumed i would be able to- it would make finding a clear freq. / width MUCH easier and more efficient.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:01 am

I do not complain for it anymore, we left the Mikrotik train,
We have noisy environments too and with Mikrotik no tools to deal with it.....

Someone here says, buy something else and that is what we do

Quicksivler
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:07 pm

I do not complain for it anymore, we left the Mikrotik train,
We have noisy environments too and with Mikrotik no tools to deal with it.....

Someone here says, buy something else and that is what we do
If you have moved away.... why keep posting? Ive ended up just using old omnitiks (the originsl ones) at each site to do spectral scans only, since we have them in stock after upgrading. Not as good a solution but it works for now. On our busiest sectors we can reach 300mbps tcp throughput with an sxt ac connecting to a netmetal sector out to 500m, but we are the only wisp in town and dont run into a lot of interference in the cities we operate in. We are just starting to test the 60ghz stuff

dmitrii1402
just joined

Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:18 am

Good day,

I'm currently trying to configure Microtik HAP ac2.
Utility spectral scan and spectral history are not working, showing the following message in the terminal:
failure: this device can not do spectral scan

OS version 6.49.6 stable.

Is it possible to fix it somehow or these functions are not available for this model?

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:41 pm

Tue 11 Nov, 2014 13:42
Just a reminder. 8 long years. I gave up and switched to Ubiquiti for Wireless. Routing is still on Mikrotik.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:35 pm

8 years on the to-do list, and then you do not know if someone has started work on it!
BFD for RouterOS v7 is a "work in progress" for over a year now, that to me that seems much easier to implement than spectral scan.
I would consider it a lost case...

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 pm

BFD sad face
BFD-sad-face.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:09 pm

After 8 years. Still on "to-do" list.
Sad :cry: :cry: