Community discussions

MikroTik App

Pacov
just joined
Topic Author

Best setup for long distance P2P links

Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Hello all,

What is the best setup in Mikrotik for making long distance P2P links, if I want to use static routes ?

Can it be done with normal station - AP link or should I use WDS or NStreame ?

valens
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Don't forget to set ack-timeout depend on the distance

Pacov
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:36 pm

Don't forget to set ack-timeout depend on the distance
I left ACK timeout at dynamic, and it works out of the box.
I placed a 20 mile link between my place of work and my house, but since my company has a strict routing policies in internal subnet, I need to set up a static route.
Since I know that I cannot bridge AP-station link due to 802.11 MAC problems, I was wondering if routing is affected by that same problem.

I.E. should I use a WDS or Nstreame or will it work with normal AP-station link.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:10 pm

1) Nstreme protocol is designed to achieve better performance over long range wireless links .

2) If you want to create transparent network between both routers, you have to use WDS. (WDS cannot be used together with Dual Nstreme, but you are able to use WDS together with Nstreme. Use structure AP -- station-wds for your wireless routers.

joeri91942
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:40 pm

Now could someone please explain to me why one would use WDS to create a transparent link over a long distance???

A long distance link would have limited bandwith, medium to high latency and generally be "thinner" then the local networks on both sides.. if you're using M$ networking (as I assume you are using) on both sides then this link would have to carry a lot of name resolution lookups, server announcents, name broadcasts etc..... since all local traffic would be "local" over all of the networks... right?

Add a broadcast storm to this and you're out of business!

Wouldn't it be better to create a proper, subnetted, routed IP network instead? That's the way we've been doing backhaul links and I've had almost no problems with mine.....

/Jörgen

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:56 pm

Jörgen, I agree with you, routing is another way to realize scenario. And which one to choose depends on scenario requirements.

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:42 pm

I use nstream & wds

I find a wds disconnects less then non wds (i wish I knew why)

I don't bridge, just route but still use wds

joeri91942
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:11 pm

I have had some slight problems with links bouncing up and down on link speed and getting varying ping times, resulting in lost packets and communication problems... specifically VoIP is cranky when the packet latency fluctuates! hello (hello... hello.... ) echos are a prime symptom on that

got that mostly taken care of by
- using nstreme
- reducing the allowed max transmit speeds, usually I set them to max 24Mb
- reducing! transmit powers... have no real explanation on this but in real life it has helped

/Jörgen

Pacov
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:14 pm

Jörgen, I agree with you, routing is another way to realize scenario. And which one to choose depends on scenario requirements.
I do want to route this link.
Bridge is out of the question.
I only need to know if routing will work over AP-station connection or I have to use WDS or Nstreame to create background for routed subnets.
(I.E. does 802.11 limitations affect routed subnets in the same way as they affect bridging ?)

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Yes, 'routing' has to work without any problems and withoud WDS.

Mapik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:45 pm

Yes, routing work well with AP-station setting... no problems on 60 wireless routers :)
Nstream may help with increasing throughput on line... but it need enough CPU power on fast lines... ;)

Mapik
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:46 pm

sergejs was faster :)

Pacov
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:05 pm

Yes, 'routing' has to work without any problems and withoud WDS.
Yes, routing work well with AP-station setting... no problems on 60 wireless routers Smile
Nstream may help with increasing throughput on line... but it need enough CPU power on fast lines... Wink
Thank you guys for fast answers :).

Another question: If I choose to do it via standard AP-station link, does it matter from which side is default gateway located ?

I ask because I remember that when I used P2P link with two Ovislink 1120 AP-s (one at WISP I connected to and one at my home) to connect to the internet, internet could not work if the default gw was at the station side of that link. (I.E. it had to be at the AP side)

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:47 am

That shouldn't matter in any way. As long as your routing config is good, it can be whereever you want it to...

Best regards,
Christian Meis