Community discussions

kccoyote26
just joined
Topic Author

Device discovery not working over wireless

Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi,

I have a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN running on 3.19.

I have 2 apps: a remote app and Netflix. When I connect my TV with a wire and try to find it with my iPad, connected to the wifi of the router, it won't find the tv!

I also have another access point connected to the router and when I connect the ipad to that, it can find the tv.
Also, when I connect the TV wireless with the router, the apps can also find the tv.

so:
1) tv - wire - router - wireless - iPad: no go
2) tv - wireless - router - wireless - iPad: go
3) tv - wire - router - wire - ap - wireless - iPad: go
Unfortunately 2 and 3 are not feasible solutions.

I installed wireshark to see what the TV remote app and the Netflix app send when searching for a device, and it appears to be using SSDP.

Noteworthy about my setup is that I have all interfaces into one bridge, with filtering rules for certain devices that need both an internal and external IP. So I started from scratch, to see if it would work with a default configuration. Which it did.
Now, I started building up my configuration step by step, and it stopped working when I added the ISP port (eth1) to the bridge, adjusted the NAT masquerading to reflect this change AND enabled the IP firewall on the bridge, even when the only rule in the firewall is "accept forward".

Does somebody have any idea where I should start looking to get it to work with the Wifi from the Mikrotik router?

nickshore

Re: Device discovery not working over wireless

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 pm

You shouldn't bridge WAN and LAN, you should route the IPs

Nick
Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)