Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgrocery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Exporting and Importing Configuration Files To Diff Router

Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:57 am

Hello all, I need help in figuring out how to properly export configurations from one mikrotik router to a different model mikrotik router.
I currently have a 951ui-2hnd with version 6.19 but
this router is being replaced by the 951g-2hnd with version 5.26.

I have tried exporting and importing but it doesnt work. It says successful in loading the script but nothing changes.
I have tried copy and pasting the entire script in terminal but that only adds some of the original routers settings.

Am I missing something obvious or is just a little more complicated then what I am able to understand?

Any help would be great and just a heads up I am noob with these routers.

Thanks
:o

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Exporting and Importing Configuration Files To Diff Rout

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:29 am

There's probably enough syntax / command differences between the versions that there will be errors. And with particular blocks of commands relying on previous blocks, the issue can compound.

What I would do is export the config from the first router (6.19), preferably to a file:
/export file=myFile
Open the file in your favorite text editor and press enter before each new block of code starting with a forward slash /. This helps break up the sections for easier reading.

Highlight and copy the first block. In the second router (5.26), open a Terminal window and right-click, then paste the code. As long as you do not see any errors, it probably applied just fine. To verify, open the corresponding winbox menu(s) and verify the changes show up.

Back in the file, highlight and copy the second block, etc.

If there are errors after pasting a block of code, go into the winbox menu(s) and add the settings manually. Look at the block of code to find the appropriate values and enter them.

And keep doing this until you've made it through the whole config.

HTH

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:19 am

Make sure you reset back to defaults and then clear the default config in the target router before installing the new config.

from the CLI to reset the router

/system reset-configuration

Then log in with winbox on a mac address and remove the configuration when given the choice.

Then you can apply the config (script) from the other router and it should take.

rgrocery
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Thank you all I got it to work, sorry it took me forever to respond.

I had to upgrade the first router and reset the second router and take the export file from the first and load it to the 2nd one. After I did this it worked but it had a few random issues. 1 being all the ethernet ports on the back got reversed, not sure how that happened. I just left it.