Community discussions

MikroTik App

kent
just joined
Topic Author

is RouterOS v2.9.13 a true transparent bridge?

Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:37 pm

I am hoping someone can answer this question. I currently have a WIFI hotspot up and running. I have a authentication server currently that is only able to allow access to users based on the combination of there MAC address, username and password. There is about a 4 city block Wireless backhaul link between the hotspot and the building were the authentication server resides. I set up Eatherpeek, a packet sniffing program and mirrored the port the authentication server was on. All packets coming across the backhaul had the MAC address of the backhaul unit that was plugged into the wireless AP. Basically the minilink that is plugged into the AP is acting as a router. Instead of being a transparent bridge it is changing the MAC address of all packets traveling from its Ethernet interface to the wireless interface. because of this only one person can be on in the hotspot at once since the authentication server only can see one MAC address. So my question is does the MicroTik WDS system and RouterOS v2.9.13 actually work as a true transparent bridge and pass the MAC address of the user across the backhaul; or does it change the MAC address in the packet to itself and forward the packet like router would. Any help on this would be much appreciated. I hope the MikroTik solution would work because it is a much cheaper solution.

dsovereen
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:49 pm

Yes, Mikrotik will provide the transparent bridge you need. Set up backhaul link using WDS and bridge the wds interfaces to the ethernet interfaces and all packets will come through with their original MAC address intact and unchanged.

Dave