Community discussions

MikroTik App

alex23
just joined
Topic Author

16 links all in one router

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm

I am from Greece
I have a strange wireless set up with four (Four-Slot miniPCI Adapter).
And 16 cm9 wireless cards.
All these in a p4 2,66 Ghz.
The first problem is that I have nsteme in 6 links and the cpu load average is 80% .

But the most important thing is that some cards influence the others and affect the frequency and as a result the bandwidth. Even if I use all the frequencies from 5000 to 6000 ghz with gaps of 100 mhz I still have noise.
For example if one link can get 30 megabit alone when I do bandwidth test to 3 links I get only 20 megabits (at each link) where before I got 30 megabit at (at each link) link. I should get 90 megabits but I don’t. I get only 60 megabits.

What do you suggest me to do?
Should I cut the links in more routers??
How can I reduce the noise?

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:00 pm

I wouldn't put half that many links in one computer. If you have a card fail or need to reset the computer, it will mess up a lot of links during that change. You are probably overlapping frequencies and self interfering too unless you are using super tiny channel widths.

wwalcher
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:01 am

The problem is probably that you are maxing out your CPU. If it is at 80% to begin with, doing bandwidth tests will likely max it out. I have a new Celeron MB that I am testing with just one radio that maxes out the CPU when I do a bandwidth test running at 66 Mb/sec.

alex23
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:32 pm

wwalcher

When ever you do bandwidth test the computer that generates the packets will have 100% cpu load.
Even if you have one link or more links and even if you have p4 or p3 it is the same thing it wiil always get 100% on bandwidth test.

jp

you are right...
But think that it is very handy to have a screen with all your links.
It is not convenient for me to have 4 routers in a very complicated system with out knowing where is what???
I dont make changes every day. It doesn't matter if there is a 5 minute break once every month :wink:

what do you mean by
super tiny channel widths
Last edited by alex23 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marksx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:21 pm

if you need better performance you'll need to throw out 4xmPCI adapter and install cards directly in PCI slot, then check IRQ conflicts, if you have audio, usb, printer, second serial, secondary IDE, etc - disable them - you will get at least 4 extra free IRQ's
It's hard to find new, good MB with 5PCI+ slots, but try to search intel 865 chipset, rememer that almost all MB's don't like situation when you put into them as much cards as they've PCI slots

After then, try to isolate cards using aluminium foil - but don't make short cut!!
You will need some extra cooling - only for mPCI's, especialy if they will be coated with foil
Then important thing is to make special antenna system for such base station, if you want i can help you select antennas & other devices just write

alex23
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:46 pm

What do you mean??
I can’t cover the cm9 with foil because I would short circuit and the card could be damaged.

I found that if disable a link then almost all the other link work fine
That link has full tx-power and perhaps that’s the reason of the interference!!

djape

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:33 am

I was carefully reading your posts and can comment that 16 cm9 card can work without any problems at all.
My solution for good bandtest (links) is to set tx-power to 17 and then try btest. If you are in situation where you must you full power because of weak signals try setting the other link (upload traffic) to higher tx power and download links to 17.
Please try it and post results ;)

Cheers...

alex23
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:42 am

Thanks for the interest!

I tried everything but I had no result.
When ever I disabled the links that were with full tx-power then it was working fine.
So after a loot of experiments I decided to split the 16 links in to 4 separate boxes (and routers) the result was that I maximized the performance of the links and that because now have very few interference between the cards. :wink: