Community discussions

MikroTik App

soundsticks
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless probe

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:16 am

How can I do the wireless probe to get user MAC address, signal strength and etc even they not connected to our wireless network or pass by our wireless location.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless probe

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:03 am

Are you asking for mac address of computer that is not connected to your network?

soundsticks
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:23 am

Are you asking for mac address of computer that is not connected to your network?
Yes the mac address and the signal strength as well.

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 am

Ah... I don't think this is possible.

If a device is not associated with your equipment in anyway (i.e. ap/station association), there is no way you can get any details from the device. This would be a huge security problem I would imagine...

But of course, I think it's best a guru confirm this :)

soundsticks
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:46 am

Ah... I don't think this is possible.

If a device is not associated with your equipment in anyway (i.e. ap/station association), there is no way you can get any details from the device. This would be a huge security problem I would imagine...

But of course, I think it's best a guru confirm this :)
Is possible I'm looking the function similar like Cisco Meraki, it can tracking user geo-location by using wireless probe. For example your mobile phone will scan any wireless network to connect, before the available wireless network appears on your mobile phone list. Your mobile phone will probe around for any wireless network availability, so if wireless router receives a probe from a mobile phone, the wireless router will usually return their wireless network name, mac address and signal strength between the mobile phone and the wireless router.

And what am going to do, I need our wireless router to probe around the mobile devices and get their MAC address and signal strength.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 am

Scanning is passive action. There is no transmission from client when he does scanning. What probes are you talking about?

soundsticks
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:46 am

Scanning is passive action. There is no transmission from client when he does scanning. What probes are you talking about?
Yes there is no transmission from client when he does a scanning but I would like to grab their signal strength and mac address from my wireless router. For example you will get the mac address and signal strength information when user connected to your wireless router. It similar like wireless snooper in Mikrotik but this is in connected environment. In my way I need what ever user had pass by our wireless router I will get their mac address and signal strength information.
ws.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:41 am

Again: if they do not transmit you have no way how to get their mac addresses. Each radio has two parts: transmitter and receiver. They never work at once. When the radio listens, does not transmit.

Try to sit in the middle of the square of foreign city and write a list of the names of the people who went around watching you but said no word. You cannot know their names if they don't tell you.

What didn't you catched?

soundsticks
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:23 am

How about using wireless snooper? I'm not able to export the wireless snoop stations records into file.

TheWiFiGuy

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:58 am

@Jarda

Its totally possible.

You look in the frame of the wireless packet and you will see MAC addresses. Devices are constantly looking for known SSIDs to connect to and send out Probe requests to determine if those SSIDS are nearby. You can capture those and get the required information.

You can also track associated clients but looking the ACKS that are flying through the air, and find access points by looking at the beacons.

All this data is flying through the air all the time, and is ripe for the picking.

Mikrotik is not the best kit to do this due to the limited API control of the snopper / sniffer ; but look at openWRT has tools to grab this and write it all out to a CSV.

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:02 pm

TheWiFiGuy is right, it's possible using wireless sniffer.
The only "problem" with that solution is that when wireless sniffer is active, radio can't do anything else, so you need 2 radios if you want to sniff and provide WIFI. But seen the price of Mikrotik gear, you will be anyway far far below cisco prices :p

soundsticks
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 am

@Jarda

Its totally possible.

You look in the frame of the wireless packet and you will see MAC addresses. Devices are constantly looking for known SSIDs to connect to and send out Probe requests to determine if those SSIDS are nearby. You can capture those and get the required information.

You can also track associated clients but looking the ACKS that are flying through the air, and find access points by looking at the beacons.

All this data is flying through the air all the time, and is ripe for the picking.

Mikrotik is not the best kit to do this due to the limited API control of the snopper / sniffer ; but look at openWRT has tools to grab this and write it all out to a CSV.
Do you have any link I can refer?

mankomal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:48 am

@Jarda

Its totally possible.

Do you have any link I can refer?
Hey
soundsticks if you got an answer let me know I am also looking for one

andreaswe
just joined

Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi,

any news on that?

best regards
andreas

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Try this.... the resultant file "sniffer.cap"can be viewed in Wireshark and shows mac and signal strength. I couldn't set the duration of the test (interval only allows up to 5 seconds) so some trial and error required.

[admin@test] /interface wireless sniffer> sniff wlan1
append as-value do file interval once without-paging
[admin@test] /interface wireless sniffer> sniff wlan1 do=
processed-packets: 1529
file-size: 10204
file-saved-packets: 39
file-over-limit-packets: 1490
memory-size: 10198
memory-saved-packets: 34
memory-over-limit-packets: 1495
real-file-limit: 10
real-memory-limit: 10

[admin@test] /interface wireless sniffer> packet print file=sniffer.cap

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Try this.... the resultant file "sniffer.cap" can be viewed in Wireshark and shows mac and signal strength. I couldn't set the duration of the test (interval only allows up to 5 seconds) so some trial and error required.

[admin@test] /interface wireless sniffer> sniff wlan1
append as-value do file interval once without-paging
[admin@test] /interface wireless sniffer> sniff wlan1 do=
processed-packets: 1529
file-size: 10204
file-saved-packets: 39
file-over-limit-packets: 1490
memory-size: 10198
memory-saved-packets: 34
memory-over-limit-packets: 1495
real-file-limit: 10
real-memory-limit: 10