Community discussions

MikroTik App

derr12
Topic Author

psuedobridge mac issue.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:15 am

So i have a hotel that i needed to use a repeater in to reach a deadzone where running ethernet was not possible.

I have a ccr router running dhcp and hotspot services for me, that goes to an RB2011 acting as a switch, which goes to a 912 dual band AP. Acting as a client radio on the 2.4 band a second 912 radio connects to the first in station psuedobridge mode and then broadcasts a hotspot on it's secondary 5ghz radio.

so to summarize ccr router > 2011 switch > 912 AP > 912 client/AP

What i noticed was that connected clients accessing internet from the station/AP unit all show up in the hotspot with the mac address of the client radio. I have like 7 in there. Other services like DHCP show the correct client MAC.

Am I doing something wrong to make that happen? Ive never used a mikrotik as a repeater before, i avoid repeating like the plague where possible.

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Re: psuedobridge mac issue.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:54 am

What is the config of the 912Client/AP ?

You definitely do not want to use PseudoBridge in a hotspot as it does exactly what you are seeing. 8)

If you are using a single wireless card in your final RB912 then consider the config in this example - http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_repeater

If you have dual radios in the last RB912 then set the "backhaul" radio into station-bridge mode (to connect to a Mikrotik AP/Bridge) and bridge it to the 2nd radio card (on a different frequency and running as AP/Bridge) acting as the new AP.

thasser
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm

The above mentioned setup will work but you will have to have a seperate wireless SSID for the network being broadcasted off of the 2nd wireless card (the one acting as an AP). It will however give you the fastest speed.

What I believe you should be using is WDS. Check it out. Give it a try. You will probably have problems with your initial setup so come back here and hopefully you can get some good help when you run into problems.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_WDS_Mesh

derr12
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:50 am

I tried your first suggestion on the bench, but I was not getting any data thruput to 802.11 clients. I wasn't sure why since all ap's were mikrotik.. Now that I think of it, it's possible I was connecting my station radio to a ubiq router, ill retest tomorrow and see. The networks will be named differently so Wps shouldn't be nessicary

derr12
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:30 pm

so looks like if you have mixed brand clients in the first AP, set station bridge on the other, bridging breaks to the second. So looks like im stuck with station psuedobridge

I tried using station psuedobridge clone, but unfortunetly, I was not able to surf off the first AP in that circumstance.

I cant really get away with using station and have the clients behind it on a different subnet and a different hotspot because roaming will likely produce weird results.

cant use station wds because the first AP connects to non ROS clients as well as my repeater.

so im stuck with ARP issues when my wireless clients roam from one part of the building to another. If a client is connected to an access point in another part of the building the ARP will show his wireless card mac. If he goes into an area served by this repeater it needs to show the mac address of the repeater, otherwise internet wont work.

Im at a loss on how to resolve this using mikrotik hardware. Any advice is appreciated.

derr12
Topic Author

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:03 am

using different router-boards and client bridge works fine. nuts....