Forum Veteran

Re: Ubiquity airfiber 5x

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:56 pm

response to that !? :)

rado3105
Topic Author

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:32 am

airFiber 5X Uses Dual Polarized Slant 45 antennas, or you can upgrade a Rocket™link that uses a RocketDish™ RD‑5G30/RD‑5G34* antenna.

A dipole, which is set at a slant of +45° when viewed from the front, will appear to be vertically polarized when viewed from
the side and will then appear at a slant of -45° when viewed from the rear.

Slant 45° antennas are more robust than traditional horizontal and vertical cross polarized solutions. Horizontal and vertical as cross polarizations can suffer fading due to reflections from buildings, vehicles and the general environment, these reflections
occur more easily than ±45°.

The radiation pattern from both ports of a ±45° Linear Polarization antenna are symmetrical and almost overlap whereas horizontal and linear polarized patterns differ substantially. Slant 45 degree antenna delivers more reliable coverage areas with less drop-outs.

Channel width flexibility allows you to independently configure TX and RX channel frequencies and place them anywhere within the radio band to avoid local interference.

You have two choices with AF 5X:

1) HDD - TX and RX on same frequency,

2) Frequency Duplex Division, TX and RX on different frequencies, sending data independently on each other

Thanks!

Shaibaz Khan
Ubiquiti Networks

OrCAD
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:57 pm

WiBox Slant + RB912

I Use Slant before ONE year... UBNT invet Warm Water

See you

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:27 pm

rado3105 sorry for my sarcasm I use AirFiber and I m very happy with it
still there is no answer to AirFiber or new ubnt airprism technology
Speed is not the problem, interference is biggest problem but in that field Mikrotik has noting to offer

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:13 pm

rado3105 sorry for my sarcasm I use AirFiber and I m very happy with it
still there is no answer to AirFiber or new ubnt airprism technology
Speed is not the problem, interference is biggest problem but in that field Mikrotik has noting to offer
This year there is a lot new wireless stuff. Great news for us WISPs. MT uses the stuff they get from Atheros. Mimosa, UBNT and cambium tune up standard WiFi chips and UBNT and cambium make complete own designs. PTP wise they are not at the level of licensed gear but they approach. We will see a big performance boost this year to outperform DSL. I am very eager to see beam forming and mumimo working with affordable gear this year.

troffasky

Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:42 pm

I would be interested to see the substance behind the "200km+" claim.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:06 pm

I would be interested to see the substance behind the "200km+" claim.
I guess the protocol will allow it but designing/aligning such a link will be a problem. You will need 2 hills with nothing between and extreme antennas.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:39 am

You know Its so fanny everyone claim 850Mbit data rate or to be more precise 500+Mbit real throughput but no one says in "what condition", second till today I never saw real official test and yes official from Mikrotik, not even from Mikrotik users that succeed near that speed except and only except AirFiber.
MT AC and NV2 its a mess, nstreme is far more superior talking about p2p but unusable but I m tired posting pictures and writing why in 90% from my p2p links are better performing using nstreme.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:06 am

You have to use the calculation tools from vendors. With licensed gear you get the calculated data rates. With unlicensed you have to include interference and subtract weakness of the implementation/Hardware.

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Based on claims and not experience, I have the impression that MT is left clearly behind in the wireless (and wireless management) department, with the distance between it and other vendors increasing. No prebuilt dual band, no high-gain 802.11ac integrated outdoor client devices, no mu-mimo, AC NV2 poorly implemented, no performance data on new devices (why?) etc etc. RouterOS remains their strong point though, as no other vendor offers anything close to that in terms of both features and ease of use.

UBNT has potential in the features part with their Vyatta-based EdgeOS, but you have to configure almost everything past the basics via cli. Their wireless though, both with respect to silicon and management, is far superior. I do not know about real-world performance though.

Cambium and Mimosa are VERY interesting, but they can be expensive and the latter's products are still more of a promise than a tried and tested reality.

Based on these examinations, I would expect MT to move more towards its strength which is low-cost routing, and leave wireless to the guys who have the resources (and the ability to design and build more of their own hardware) to do it better.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:03 pm

Based on claims and not experience, I have the impression that MT is left clearly behind in the wireless (and wireless management) department, with the distance between it and other vendors increasing. No prebuilt dual band, no high-gain 802.11ac integrated outdoor client devices, no mu-mimo, AC NV2 poorly implemented, no performance data on new devices (why?) etc etc. RouterOS remains their strong point though, as no other vendor offers anything close to that in terms of both features and ease of use.
Yes. Still waiting for a new announcement in this direction. I guess it heavily depends on Atheros offerings.
UBNT has potential in the features part with their Vyatta-based EdgeOS, but you have to configure almost everything past the basics via cli. Their wireless though, both with respect to silicon and management, is far superior. I do not know about real-world performance though.
With UBNT there seem to be some limitations as the .ac platform is not backward compatible now. So you cant easily replace APs.
Cambium and Mimosa are VERY interesting, but they can be expensive and the latter's products are still more of a promise than a tried and tested reality.
Cambium delivers with their ePMP quite good allthough it is still 11n based it increases Capacity a lot due to a working GPS-Sync implementation. Mimosas PTP seem to be tested successfully by several WISPs. The PTMP Plattform is still only announced.
Based on these examinations, I would expect MT to move more towards its strength which is low-cost routing, and leave wireless to the guys who have the resources (and the ability to design and build more of their own hardware) to do it better.
May be this is exactly what they are doing.

rado3105
Topic Author

Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:09 pm

No this post was not meant to leave Mikrotik wireless...but to be better in wirelless...we need mikrotik and we prefere ptm devices Mikrotik with NV2 over UBNT (they are much cheaper, backward compatible, better throughoutput, minimal faultiness in comparison with UBNT)

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:01 am

No this post was not meant to leave Mikrotik wireless...but to be better in wirelless...we need mikrotik and we prefere ptm devices Mikrotik with NV2 over UBNT (they are much cheaper, backward compatible, better throughoutput, minimal faultiness in comparison with UBNT)
Do MTs really have better thoughput than UBNTs in PtMP scenarios? Are they more reliable? rOS v6 is still plagued with bugs and every so often with regressions...

taduikis

Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Well, I can add that for me, at least, MT products are far superior than UBNT. Mostly in terms of flexibility, power of RouterOS, price and to be honest - design. UBNT have their edge on proprietary technologies, in-house built chips, huge teams of programmers quickly eliminating bugs, going for >5GHz, etc.. But they're much like Apple, prepare out-of-the-box equipment which has lots of settings pre-tuned and very little to control. There sure are ways to do one thing or the other via cli, but I much prefer ROS for that. And.. their product design doesn't look very professional, reminds my of toy-level hardware. But hey, that's just my opinion.

What I'd expect from MT is to keep up with market demand, current tendencies and competitor offerings. Right hardware paired with MT ROS has the synergy we all here need. Good luck to them keeping up.

rado3105
Topic Author

Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:39 pm

MT had great superior DUAL Nstreme (many many years old technology, that could compete also in these times.....)...it is shame that they didnt tune it for many years....

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:12 pm

MT had great superior DUAL Nstreme (many many years old technology, that could compete also in these times.....)...it is shame that they didnt tune it for many years....
Yes. This is a shame. They leave this field to others. I've a Mimosa B5 link running now. This is dual nstreme within one housing and pimped up to 802.11ac. MT had the opportunity to build something like this long ago but they did not put enough power into wireless development.