Community discussions

MikroTik App

LoloTheJeeper
just joined
Topic Author

Using a second Mikrotik as a wired Wifi repeater

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi everyboby,
I recently bought a second Mikrotik router (I had a RB2011) and bought the CRS125.
I'm trying to implement something (that has to be !!!) simple but is not for me.
I have an Internet link connected to the CRS125.
I use the CRS 125 as a switch for wired printer, NAS, and IP Phone.
I also created 3 Wifi AP on it and a DHCP address pool for each one (I want one for adults, one for kids and one for guests) to be able de cut the internet access for Guests and kids after 10:00PM.
I ran a ethernet wire from the 1st floor to the basement to connect my other Mikrotik that is configured as a AP only (No DHCP, same SSID, same Wifi password, etc).
If I bridge Wlan1 and Ether 2 on the RB2011 I can connect to it using Wifi but I get an IP adress 192.168.88.xxx and If don't bridge WLAN1 and Ether2 it does not work (cant connect Wifi). If I connect Wifi on the CRS125 it woprk well and I get an IP address in the right range
I searched a lot on the Internet and on this forum without any luck. I don't want to use WDS because the two routers are too far away and because of the loss of speed :)
Any help would really be appreciated !
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Using a second Mikrotik as a wired Wifi repeater

Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Use VLANs to make separate bridges between the CRS and 2011.

Create Bridges for each virtual AP, add the virtual AP interface and vlan interface to each bridge and you are done :)

LoloTheJeeper
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Thank you for your answer
That would mean that I'd need a wired connection for each bridge/Wlan ?
If this is the case, I don't have three wired connections between the router :'(

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 am

Of course you dont need 3 physical cables, thats why we have VLANs.

Create vlan10, vlan11, vlan12 on ether2 of CRS (set vlan IDs to 10,11,12). Also create bridge10, bridge11 and bridge12 bridges. Add vlan10 and your virtual AP1 to bridge10 and continue like this for the other 2. You need to switch the IP addresses and DHCP server to bridge interfaces then.

The same you need to do on the 2011. All 3 vlans will pass through single ethernet cable separated to each other (=TRUNK link). Search and read some documentation about VLANs (Virtual LAN) and you will understand how does it work :)

LoloTheJeeper
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:19 pm

Thank you Lucky :)
I'll read on that subject. In the in-between, I tried to implement a DHCP relay on the 2011 to relay the DHCP requet received on the 2011 to the CRS but I can't seem to make that work :(
I feel sooooo incompetent :'(
Anyways, thanks a lot for your help, it's really appreciated. I'll try the Traunk approach and will let you know !

LoloTheJeeper
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Hi !
As a follow-up : I created the VLAN, the bridges, assigned fixed IP addresses on the bridges (192.168.90.1 or 2 depending on the router for Bridge11, etc...) and linked the DHCP servers to the corresponding bridges only on the CRS side
I also defined Wifi security and the 3 SSID on both routers.
When I try to connect on a Wlan on the CRS side, I get an IP address on the right range, depending on the SSID I connect to but I have no access to the Internet. BUT If I try to connect on the 2011 side, I can't connect or get a IP address... I'm puzzled.
Do I miss something (routing, bridging, ???)
Thank you for your help and patience :)

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Did you also change the VLAN IDs according to the vlanXX interfaces? VLAN IDs must match on both devices, eg. vlan10 to have VLAN ID 10 on both devices.

If you dont have internet access when connected to CRS, make sure you have correct NAT, DHCP gateway etc. Could you post your config from both devices?
[admin@MikroTik] > export
You dont need DHCP relay as if you would have the connection working, you will get the IP address from the DHCP server on the CRS - you are bridging, not routing and you will be on same physical network when you roam between CRS and 2011.

Try to set 192.168.90.2 on the bridge10 on 2011 and ping 192.168.90.1 (which is the IP of bridge10 on the CRS) - you should get a reply if you configured vlans correctly.

Good luck

LoloTheJeeper
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:32 am

I am SOOOO happy ;) !
I wiped both routers and started again from scratch.
Now, everything works using the trunk Method !
I even implemented Wifi MAC Access control list .
The only thing left for me to do is reserve a certain amount of bandwidth for my VoIP (I created a DCHP network (192.168.89.x) just for it.
And remove the ping answer from the Internet and I'll be all set (until the new experiment)
I want to take time to thank Lucky VERY MUCH for his time. Really appreciated !