Community discussions

MikroTik App

PR120001
just joined
Topic Author

Point-To-Point Wireless Setup

Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:38 am

Good Day!

Basically I need some advice on what equipments should I use to obtain a decent point-to-point wireless setup having a distance of 300-500m. Two distant locations will share the internet at a single end therefore reducing internet costs. I do have these equipments in my mind as this was the equipment we had used in the Mikrotik101.

Equipments :
2x SXT Lite5
2x RB750

Basically these equipments should run 24/7 and I guess what I expect is to have some interference with 2.4 Ghz signal around the area and will try to overcome it by having the antennas exactly LOS of each other. I would also like to have your suggestions regarding the antennas protection from weather and lightning.

Hopefully someone can hit me some ideas about my project.

Thank You

djdrastic

Re: Point-To-Point Wireless Setup

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Lightning Arrestor on either end of the link
Proper Grounding of Radio . If you can afford hire an electrician to make sure your entire route is properly grounded to the earth.
If you live in very salty place or have lots of moisture you can seal up the unit with Vaseline or silicone.
UPS Protecting the AC Feed to the Radios.Scour the forums for models that are compatible with the MTK and you can get email/sms when the UPS is being used.
Clear Line of Sight Preferred at all times.
Documentation and backup of your ROS version and final config if a disaster strikes.
Check your countries regulations regarding what frequencies and transmission power you are allowed.
Get your final signal strength roughly between -60 -> -65 dbm for optimal performance.
Run STP down from your tower to the remote data end.

24/7 is no problem for these units as long as your bandwidth expectations are reasonable.

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:40 pm

"24/7 is no problem for these units as long as your bandwidth expectations are reasonable." I especially liked this comment. That's important with WiFi p2p links as the weather conditions could seriously deteriorate.
For p2p links you could also use the Mikrotik wireless protocols, they should probide better throughput.

PR120001
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 am

Will the devices I listed be enough to cover the distance requirement? If you can recommend me a lower version for the equipments, please do so.

May I ask what are the Mikrotik wireless protocols? I just had my basic training on Mikrotik, I haven't explored much of it.

HumTum
just joined

Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 am

Check your countries regulations regarding what frequencies and transmission power you are allowed.
Get your final signal strength roughly between -60 -> -65 dbm for optimal performance.
Run STP down from your tower to the remote data end.

djdrastic

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Will the devices I listed be enough to cover the distance requirement? If you can recommend me a lower version for the equipments, please do so.

May I ask what are the Mikrotik wireless protocols? I just had my basic training on Mikrotik, I haven't explored much of it.

Yeah distance should be no problem as long as you've selected free channel(s) with clean LOS.I think you will actually find that the transmission power might be too strong for that distance and will require scaling back the power slightly if you get your alignment perfect.

The wireless protocols are 802.11,nstreme and nv2.NV2 gives you good performance but somewhat spiky latency , Nstreme gives low latency and decent speeds but is basically a dead/semi unsupported protocol at this stage and 802.11 is the regular CSMA/CA you get on most wireless products.

NV2 and Nstreme can only be used with other mtk products and are not compatible with other brand of products.

v911rathod
just joined

Re: Point-To-Point Wireless Setup over 52 km

Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:29 am

[img]dear

friends i need your i have installed basebox5 with 34dbi mimo dish Antenna over 52 km
i am receiving signal strength some time -65 - 68 some time -88 -89 maximum
Connectivity with tx 3.6 mbps & rx 13.2mbps but while i am trying to give load on that link it is being disconnected one more thing is that both bridge & station bridge are only connecting on
Channel width 10MHz & Band 5GHz- Only-N