Community discussions

MikroTik App

monkeybike
Topic Author

WiFi Hotspot POP UP TO AUTHENTICATE - mOBILE PHONES ETC

Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Hi,

I know different devices operate differently.

But if you operate a Wifi Hotspot, how do you make the Web Browser pop up and ask you to authenticate after you joing the WiFi.

As I see now that people use Apps more than a web browser on their phone or tablet., such as facebook or Youtube etc. They do not actually realise they need to use the web browser to authenticate. If that doesn't pop out they just think the Wifi isnt working.

Where as I have been to other popular places. Such as McDonalds, where by you join the Wifi and the Web broswer pops out you screen and is on the McDonalds Wifi homepage asking you to log in.

Any ideas?

Regards

Richy

djimman
just joined

Re: WiFi Hotspot POP UP TO AUTHENTICATE - mOBILE PHONES ETC

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:05 am

Hello,

I have the same question, have you found any solution?

OlegkaOwl
just joined

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:09 am

Please suggest any solution. The question is very importent and relevant. I now have operated a network of 50 hotspot access points.

richk
just joined

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:36 am

I have the same issue... People connect to the WiFi and don't know they have to open the web browser to complete the authentication.

Another issue I notice ALOT is that even after opening the browser, the login page does not open up automatically. I have to tell the user to go to any new website (which is not already saved in the browser cache) or type 4.2.2.2 in the address bar and then the login page loads...

Anyone have a fix for this problem?

ericnyamu

Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:48 pm

The solution to this is very simple.get a hotspot system like coovachili that REMEMBERS the device mac address during initial registration.so that during subsequent logins (using apps or browsing)the device mac address if its on the whitelist its let in.i know coovachili does this.i guess its a feature mikrotik can add.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

WiFi Hotspot POP UP TO AUTHENTICATE - mOBILE PHONES ETC

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:09 pm

Mac cookie its the same option in mikrotik. You can adjust also expiration of mac cookie !!!!!!

lucky79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 am

I am using MikroTik hotspot and all mobile phones/tables I have tried automatically open a portal login page as soon as they realize they cant access the internet but DNS is resolving. You have to use real domain suffix for the DNS name of your hostpot, something like hotspot.domain.com and its working fine.
I previously had hotspot.domain.local and the automatic open of the login page was not working for iOS devices and with the release of iOS 8 the login page was not loading at all even if you open the browser manually. I have then changed the hotspot DNS name and everything started to be working.
Last edited by lucky79 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjz
just joined

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:35 pm

hey .
usually when u connected to a wifi network your device automatically tries to test your connectivity to the internet . if there is a hotspot running in the service u will get a pop up page that ask u for user/pass .
and don't forget to give your hotspot a domain . i myself use local domains like " XXXX.local " something like that ...
mikrotik hotspot is somehow not compatible with IOS devises or local doman ! i don't know which one is the problem ...
u can solve IOS problem by Walled Garden . make an access rule for " *apple " or u could change the domain ...
test both ways