Community discussions

MikroTik App

alkaida
Topic Author

ISP generally costs

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:43 pm

Hi, I`m curious about to know, how much does it costs to create my own ISP, I mean all the equipment, routers, antennas, other hardwares, and so on...

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:08 pm

I belive most people will just dis-miss and not even answer this question. It depends on where you are starting one up, how many customers your goingto have, how many sites you need, what type of antanit's you have, where you are going to place the relays? (on buildings, cell sites, homes, town telephone polls.

-Michael

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:23 am

What are you looking to do? What's your environment?

Starting a rural WISP with a single DSL feed and private IPs (NAT'd) when you have free access to silos/grain elevators in exchange for internet access isn't that expensive.

Starting a multihomed business class ISP in a dense urban environment with public IPs & lots of bandwidth to clients is quite expensive.

To use a MT based solution, I can give you a rough cost idea for some of our hardware we're using in the field:

My costs may be a bit off, I don't do the purchasing, but it's close.

APs: RB532, enclosure, SR5, sector antenna, cables/grounding/etc:
RB532: $140 or so.
SR5: $60-$70
Enclosure: $40
Sector antenna: $150
Cables/grounding/PoE/etc: $80

Rough AP cost: ~$500

For a CPE, we use a RB112, CM9, and Rootenna:
RB112: $100
CM9: $40
Rootenna: $40
PoE/Cables/etc: $50

Rough CPE cost: ~$250

You can get much cheaper CPEs (Tranzeo, etc), but they can be a bit of a pain to deal with.

Bandwidth isn't cheap either. For 10Mbit of fiber, with a few blocks of IPs, you'll be looking at over $1000/mo.

-=Russ=-