Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

phuketmymac
Topic Author

Capsman setup & Airplay

Sat May 30, 2015 5:10 am

Hello,

I am trying to setup Capsman for 5 devices.
4 APs + Router.

The main router will be the Capsman master but it also have a wireless card so I want to use as an AP as well.

So far I can't manage to do so.
The router wireless interface is recognized and managed by Capsman but it seems that the traffic is not forwarded as I can't get an IP address when connected to it. For the others no problem.

Any thought?

Also, I have plugged 2 AppleTVs on that network and Airplay is always working, not working...
Meaning I can connect to the TV sometimes but sometimes I just can't.

Please help here.
Thanks.

Julien.

phuketmymac
Topic Author

Re: Capsman setup & Airplay

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:09 pm

Please the Capsman guru...

Definitely need help here.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Please make sure that you are using CAPsMAN v2 (you need to have wireless-cm2 package installed on the CAPsMAN and CAP boards).
Also check you datapath settings, if you are using local-forwarding or full forwarding. If you are using full forwarding then all the traffic from the APs is terminated at the CAPsMAN - you need to configure bridge for CAP interfaces and IP configuration for the clients that connects to the CAPs.

phuketmymac
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:40 am

Hello,

I haven't set the datapath configuration so it was by default. Does that mean local-forwarding was enabled?
I have set local-forwarding and client-to-client forwarding to enabled. Is that ok to enable client-to-client forwarding as well?

I have now updated the main router and all the APs to 6.29.1 and added the wireless-cm2 package.
However the web interface for Capsman looks the same...

For the bridge, I have set that every APs and every interface from the main router (manager) are using the same bridge.
Should I separate them?

Just a reminder : I have the 4APs working with my actual setup but not the internal wireless interface from the router itself.
Also I was not able to get Airplay working (It happens to work very sporadically but most of the time it doesn't)

I will test Airplay again later on and let you know as I am not on-site. I did every changes remotely.

Thanks for your help.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:39 am

local-forwarding means that CAPsMAN only configures the wireless interface on the CAP board and the clients traffic flows through the CAP boards so you need to check the CAP board configuration. Most likely you have added that into the bridge with the Ethernet.

Everything is working fine and just the Airplay doesn't work?

Try to look up in the forum for a topic about Airplay as there were already few topics that might help you.

phuketmymac
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 am

Well, like I said, the internal wireless interface from the router is not working through Capsman.

I can get clients to connect to internet on any AP but NOT when they are connected to the wireless interface from the router.
However the interface seems managed by Capsman as this is what is displayed...

But when I connect to the Wi-Fi network from the router, I can't get an IP address from the DHCP.
Even using a static ip address, no ping, no network connection.

It seems like the bridge is not working between the wireless interface and the rest of the Capsman setup...
What would be the difference in configuration between any AP and the wireless router interface?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Does it shows managed by capsman and shows local-forwarding?
Do you have specified the bridge in the wireless cap menu?
If yes then check if the wireless interface is added into the bridge interface
If yes then all the wireless clients traffic should go through the local bridge interface and get the IP address from your DHCP server that operates in that bridged network.

phuketmymac
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:56 pm

Like I've already said it shows "managed by Capsman"...

For the bridge, I have tried to set up :

- Capsman-bridge (name) in which I have included every Capsman interface port + the wireless interface from my router
- Bridge-local (default bridge) in which I have included every Capsman interface + all my router ports

None gave me success for the router's wireless interface.

Well, I am bored of this Capsman setup. We can't find any help for it!...
Will reset the whole setup and try one more time and then stop using it if no success.

Thanks anyway for helping.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:18 pm

what do you have below the 'managed by CAPsMAN'?

I would suggest to look at some CAPsMAN presentation slides or videos how to configure CAPsMAN. Here is an example: http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/K ... chanty.pdf

phuketmymac
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:09 pm

Well...

With the Multicast-helper enabled and with local-forwarding + client to client forwarding enabled, everything seems working now.

However I have had to put every interface from the router itself + capsman interface into the same bridge to get the router wireless interface to work in the Capsman setup.

Seems fine now.
Thanks for your help.

Aegis13
just joined

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:51 am

Have you tried

/interface wireless cap set enabled=yes

on the CAPsMAN?

Might want to add the wireless MAC to the managed radios under CAPsMAN interfaces as well (in winbox) or

/caps-man provisioning add radio-mac=4D:5E:0C:6D:19:53:52 [<--- your MAC here] action=create-dynamic-enabled master-configuration=cfg1 [ <--- your config here]

I've noticed that adding the 00:00:00:00:00:00 does not add the default wlan1 MAC of the CRS or Router.

Also add the bridge

/interface wireless cap set bridge=bridge-local [<-- your bridge name here]

You may also want to make sure you have the latest firmware by going to System --> Routerboard in Winbox and choosing upgrade.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:28 am

Hi All!

When I want to use the Local-Forwarding on a CAP, I need to define a Bridge to work it. Where I define the Bridge? On the CAP device or on the CAPsMAN device?
If I define it on the CAPsMAN device all trafic go through the CAPsMAN, don't it.