Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

DFS

Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:57 am

How does MT DFS work? Is it feasible to put 4 sectors up all on DFS and let them have at it?

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:52 pm

Best read the manual on DFS
It's legally required for EU/ETSI zones
MT implementation allows selection of the "radar detect" feature which listens before switching over to a channel - and clients are offline whilst this happens.

You can put in freqs you prefer in the "scan" list to constrain it's operation to just a few freqs: that's how to avoid chaos on a multi-sectored box or for that matter, multiple APs on a single mast. Each AP gets a short-list of allows freqs, and shuffles through those, avoiding allows freqs of adjacent sectors/boxes.

Hope that helps

Regards

CableFree Solutions

Hammy
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:22 pm

Thanks

Now... if the other sectors aren't busy, the MT would detect that and not use that freq... if they weren't busy, would it matter if the same freq was used? 5 GHz with 20 MHz channels only has so many channels to work in.

Does the DFS read noise floor as well as snooper to determine a busy channel? MT says that anything 802.11 isn't accounted for in the noise floor.

wwalcher
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

DFS Problem - radar detected on all channels

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:00 pm

I have been testing DFS implementation in Oklahoma in the US. I have a PTP link that I have been using for the testing. I have selected Zimbabwe as the country code to open up channels in the 5500-5700 range. I then put, 4 or 5 at a time, channels in that range in the scan list of the AP.

I selected DFS with Radar Detect. Watching the log entries, I noted that in every instance the AP would scan the frequency, connect to the client, and then, a few minutes later, post a message in the log that a radar was detected, disconnect the client and then scan the next frequency in the list. It did this on every frequency I tried.

I find it hard to believe that every frequency is being used by radar, especially on a PTP link with a narrow radio beam. What am I missing? I am wondering if it has to do with radio power settings or antenna gain settings. I have the radio power and the frequency mode set to manual.

Both sides of the link are RB532's with a CM9 cards.

wwalcher
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

DFS Problem - radar detected on all channels

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:00 pm

I have been testing DFS implementation in Oklahoma in the US. I have a PTP link that I have been using for the testing. I have selected Zimbabwe as the country code to open up channels in the 5500-5700 range. I then put, 4 or 5 at a time, channels in that range in the scan list of the AP.

I selected DFS with Radar Detect. Watching the log entries, I noted that in every instance the AP would scan the frequency, connect to the client, and then, a few minutes later, post a message in the log that a radar was detected, disconnect the client and then scan the next frequency in the list. It did this on every frequency I tried.

I find it hard to believe that every frequency is being used by radar, especially on a PTP link with a narrow radio beam. What am I missing? I am wondering if it has to do with radio power settings or antenna gain settings. I have the radio power and the frequency mode set to manual.

Both sides of the link are RB532's with a CM9 cards.