Community discussions

soamz
Topic Author

Switch for the BTS end ?

Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:17 am

Hi, currently we have taken the bandwidth delivery on wireless, means I have NanoBeam 300 on the BTS end and my office tower end. But I think as users have increased, the latency increases also.
So, I have asked the bandwidth provider to give me the delivery in optical fiber.

They have asked me to bring a switch to be placed in the BTS end, so that I can keep the NanoBeam as backup and keep using the fiber one. If anyday the fiber gets cut, then will simply switch on the NanoBeam.

So, basically I need a switch which will have SFP IN, and 2 outputs, 1 SFP + 1 ETHERNET.

The SFP output will come to my office through fiber and the ethernet will connect to my NanoBeam.

So which switch do you suggest ?

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Switch for the BTS end ?

Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:02 am

Many MikroTik routers have groups of switched ports. You could use any of them which also has an SFP slot for this task. The RB2011 and the CRS series come to mind. The RB260GS or RB260GSP are also options from MikroTik. They run SwitchOS rather than RouterOS.

Or, you can get a switch from some other vendor which solely performs switching tasks, with or without management capability.

Does the provider have a recommendation? They may be able to provide you with more in-depth support if you use a device with which they are familiar.