Community discussions

MikroTik App

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is anyone reliably using OSPF over wireless?

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:53 pm

I've been trying to get OSPF working over wireless links, and it works... sometimes. I'm running 2.9.27 on all the routers, and it works most of the time, but then fails and won't reconnect.

I'm trying to generate supout.rif files for the support guys, but the systems seem to reliably crash when trying to generate the files.

What seems to happen is that the links are up for a while, and then the routers simply stop talking OSPF. I can disable/reenable the OSPF neighbors, and things don't reassociate. I have to restart one of the routers for things to begin working again.

I've also noticed that when the routers are in this state, DHCP doesn't appear to work. I can't get a DHCP lease over a link that OSPF won't work over.

Does anyone have a solution? I really need dynamic routing at this point, but if it won't work over wireless links, I can't exactly use it. I did hear something about using a WDS bridge for OSPF - any other thoughts on that?

-=Russ=-

jober
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:31 am

Gerard helped me get it running and so far it's running great.
I'll see if he will reply to your post.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:09 am

Are you using routing or routing-test? A few versions back I switched my network to routing-test and stopped having those exact problems..
-Gerard

Russ

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:33 pm

I was having alot of problems with both routing and routing test where both routers would sit in the INIT state.

I traced it to MT sending the updates out on the multicast address but with the wrong source address. (not the same as the interface its going out).

The only way i could seem to fix this was remove the IP address at each end and re add it, remove the OSPF network and re add it.

Strange you mention DHCP not working... becuase at the same time a UDP bandwidth test wouldnt work for me yet a TCP would... DHCP uses UDP so we could be on to somthing here...

Syonyk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:55 pm

Russ - were those failures irregular, or consistent? Mine will link up just fine for a while, then decide to stop working.

Also, I'm using routing-test on all the nodes.

-=Russ=-

Russ

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:22 pm

I had one link go out, then the next day another link go out, I did upgrade all routers involved to routing-test at this stage, however this did not make the fault go away. In saying that I haven't had the same troubble again since upgrading to routing-test.

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 am

Hello

I had this problem but had a fix

add a bridge and add the interface to that.

is happens when the wireless device disappers

I also use wds but I think the bridge part is making it stabe

works perfect for me now, weeks & weeks of perfect