Community discussions

hengst
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Probe Thread

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:34 pm

Seriously nice work figuring that all out.
I figured out with bits and bytes gathered from others. its more of an endless trial and error which leads me often to the right results.
some call it "obsessive" ...

such a good feeling when code starts working eh..

Thnks for the help Lebowski , if you want to or like to play with the real device i can give you access just send me a pm.
anyway i going to check your hints this weekend.

thomsen
just joined

Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello all!

I'have a lot of point of sale where we use the mikrotik routers. Some shops have dual WAN interfaces for failover by recursive routing. I want to monitor each of WAN interface thru ping to google DNS. How can i do that by dude?

thomsen
just joined

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Hello all!

I'have a lot of point of sale where we use the mikrotik routers. Some shops have dual WAN interfaces for failover by recursive routing. I want to monitor each of WAN interface thru ping to google DNS. How can i do that by dude?
In other words, it is necessary to start the ping from the device to 8.8.8.8

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RE: Re: Probe Thread

Fri May 05, 2017 4:53 pm

Hello all!

Why ping? What kind of wan connection do you have? In some cases you can monitor state (running or not) or count tx/rx packets in particular period of time.
When i was looking for the same probe (ping from different wans in device from dude) i didn't find. But if you want to ping, you can use not dude, but netwatch on device (add route to google DNS from particular wan and write script on down event)

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3S через Tapatalk
MTCNA, MTCWE

thomsen
just joined

Fri May 05, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello all!

Why ping? What kind of wan connection do you have? In some cases you can monitor state (running or not) or count tx/rx packets in particular period of time.
When i was looking for the same probe (ping from different wans in device from dude) i didn't find. But if you want to ping, you can use not dude, but netwatch on device (add route to google DNS from particular wan and write script on down event)

Shadeofspirit, can i explain my situation in russian language? How to write private messages here?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 05, 2017 5:34 pm

Hello all!

Shadeofspirit, can i explain my situation in russian language? How to write private messages here?
there are no private messages on this forum try skype (victorspirit) ot telegram (+375445fourfour340five)
MTCNA, MTCWE

spasko
just joined

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am

Check if a certain program is running on a Windows system ('OUTLOOK.EXE' in this example):

Type: function
Available: if(array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"),"OUTLOOK.EXE")>0, 1, -1)
Error: if(array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"),"OUTLOOK.EXE")>0, "", "OUTLOOK.EXE not detected by SNMP probe")
Value: 1 (or anything else, is purely for charting purposes and I return 1 if the service is running)
Unit: running (or whatever you want to call the above values)
Rate: none

This of course requires the SNMP agent is running and configured properly on the Windows system.
This works great but is it possible to monitor if an application is in "Not responding" state?
Could it be that you use the wrong OID. I check Windows services as following:

Available: if(array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), "db2sec.exe")>0, 1, -1)
Error: if(array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), "db2sec.exe")>0, "", "DB2_db2sec.exe not detected by SNMP probe")
Value: 1
Unit: running
Rate: none

Change "db2sec.exe" with the name of the service you like to monitor. One thing I also noticed is, that the name is case-sensitive! Write the service name the same as you see it in the Windows Task Manager.

Sometimes it also helps to use the if() function for debugging. If you are not shure what you will get with "if(array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), "db2sec.exe")>0" and want to see it, put the same command as "to do". For example:

Error: if(array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), "db2sec.exe")>0, array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), "db2sec.exe"), array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), "db2sec.exe"))

With this error line you will see the output of the command in the "Problem" column of the "Services" table. Sometimes it helps me a lot to find bugs in my commands.

Hi
i've a question about function array_find !
i've integrate in the device appareance a count for process running (in my case HTTPD naming httpd.exe
my code
[array_element(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"), array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"),"httpd.exe"))]
[array_find(oid_column("1.3.6.1.2.1.25.4.2.1.2"),"httpd.exe")]

the prolem il : i've 2 httpd.exe running (look with process explorer) and i watch on device 12 process ! !
it's a syntax function problem or bug on Dude program (version 4 running on windows server)

PS : (sorry for my english , i'm French)

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Hello, everyone!

I'm trying to setup HP Procurve Cpu probe from the following post.

Now I have configured:
Function
Name: Procurve_Cpu
Code: oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0")

Probe
Name: Procurve_Cpu
Type: Function
Available: Procurve_Cpu() <> ""
Error: if(Procurve_Cpu() > 80, "", concatenate("Cpu load is = ", Procurve_Cpu(), "%"))
Value: Procurve_Cpu()
Unit: %

It seems that it working, but I need some advises:
1. I periodically get "Not available" - how this may be fixed?
2. Should I use Procurve_Cpu() > 80 or Procurve_Cpu() < 80 for Error? I need a notification when Cpu load is over 80%.
With current setup I get periodically errors: Cpu load is = 0%, Cpu load is = 4%
3. I also tried to configure something like this but without success - I got the error: parse failed

Function
Name: Procurve_Cpu_Test
Code: if(oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0",10,5), oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0",10,5), "False")

Probe
Type: Function
Availavble: Procurve_Cpu_Test() <> "False"
Error: if(Procurve_Cpu_Test()<>"False", if(Procurve_Cpu_Test()<80), "", concatenate("Cpu load is = ", Procurve_Cpu_Test(), "%"))
Value: Procurve_Cpu_Test()
Unit: %

Thank you!

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:10 am

Add 1 in the function since the CPU can return 0% utilization. subtract 1 in the value and error lines...

Code: if(oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0",10,5), oid("1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.14.11.5.1.9.6.1.0",10,5)+1, "False")

in your error line
if(Cisco_CPU_a()<>"False",if(Cisco_CPU_a() -1<80, "", concatenate("Warning: high CPU = ", Cisco_CPU_a(), "%")), "Cisco Device down")

eriitguy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 am

lebowski,

Thank you for help!
I have configured a function and probe per you recommendation. Now it look like this:
2017-08-28_084819.png
2017-08-28_084903.png
But I see multiple outages:
2017-08-28_084955.png
And my chart look like this:
2017-08-28_085542.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 pm

eriitguy, the only idea I have is your probe interval is conflicting with the probe. On the appearance of the device place your function for CPU [Procurve_Cpu_Test()] and see what the label does. Check your label refresh interval and modify it to be the same as your probe interval and see if they act the same. I have my probe interval set for 1 minutes and probe timeout to 25 seconds and the down count to 3.

jmay

Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Is it possible to graph all the time and still have a notification on failure if a probe fails? For example, I'm graphing DC voltage from MT's and I want an alert if that Voltage drops down to a certain point. I used to do this with 2 probes, but if would be nice if I could just have one probe. The problem I'm running into is when voltage gets below 24V I get the alert like I should, but I stop graphing.

Here's my current function:

Available: oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrHealth.mtxrHlVoltage.0")

Error: if(oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrHealth.mtxrHlVoltage.0")>24,"","failed")

Value: oid("iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.mikrotik.mikrotikExperimentalModule.mtXRouterOs.mtxrHealth.mtxrHlVoltage.0")

pablolite
just joined

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello,

I got 600 routers in Dude with (10 probes). Now I define email notification and Im wondering how to configure it for all devices?

Ex.
My 600 devices in Services tab got probe "Internet" without notification. I want to change "Internet" probe to notification "email" in my all devices?
There is any way to change that with command line?

Best,
Pawel

sorry for my english :(

EDIT:
I find solution.

In DUDE->Services->select multiple ones->open context menu->Settings

LogicalNZ
just joined

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey All,

Just having a bit of a test with creating probes. In particular we have been working with SNMP to see if a windows service is running. It works fine :)

My problem is that when the service fails, the monitor only turns "Orange" rather than RED.

Is there any way to change this?

With thanks

lebowski
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 am

Is it possible to graph all the time and still have a notification on failure if a probe fails?
Only if you make 2 probes, one to graph and one to notify, on the one to graph just put "" in the error line and don't put anything in the graph on the 2nd probe....

miro
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi guys.
I monitor with dude WIndows servers. On Icon in Network map I've following info:
CPU: [cpu_usage()]%
RAM: [mem_usage()]%
DiskC Free: [win_diskC_free_MB()] MB
DiskE Free: [win_diskE_free_MB()] MB
[failed_services()]

[services_info()]

I would like to display information from function services_info() in notification email, which is sent, when some probe is down.
Here is my message body tekst... I don't know what is correct sintaks to display value of function in email message.
Service [Probe.Name] on [Device.Name] is now [Service.Status] ([Service.ProblemDescription])

Stanje servisov:
[Device.services_info()]

eine
just joined

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 pm

.. I don't know what is correct sintaks to display value of function in email message.
syntax <> sintaks

On what platform is the dude server installed (rb, windows OS, something else)? What version do you have there? What do you receive in the notification? Why there's no description of the obvious? As I can see you're network professional, then pretty please act as one.

miro
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:53 am

For correct syntaks in notifications imho versions are not important...
But anyway, here they are:
Dude is on CHR ver 6.41 and server is Windows Server 2012...
In notification I receive no output of function services_info(), just plain text [Device.services_info()]

ryz
just joined

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:31 am

Hi that's my problem too. I don't know how to display function/probe values in email/sms body...
Please help.

Regards

dmain
just joined

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello, another new to Dude user struggling with alerting on utilization. I found the post below from 2009, is there something more recent?

"Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:02 pm

To get the bandwidth displayed in the links between devices the Dude uses the delta of sent/received octets multiplied by 8 averaging over each second of collected data.
Nice to know and I have often wanted to alert on high and or zero utilization but it is not obvious how to do it, like you are finding out.

I looked into data sources but they look like this "serial0/0 (2) @ router1 tx" and I don't know how you would use one in a function or a probe...
Maybe you can figure out how to use a data source in a probe?

All data sources can be seen by selecting chart, make a chart if you don't have one, click on + to add a new chart line then click on the edit all data sources (the "..." button). In there you can see a list of "interface @ devicename tx or rx" which is where I assume that you discovered how exactly the builtin source works."

dmain
just joined

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello, another new to Dude users here struggling with utilization notifications. I found the below from long ago. Is there a more recent example?

"Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:02 pm

To get the bandwidth displayed in the links between devices the Dude uses the delta of sent/received octets multiplied by 8 averaging over each second of collected data.
Nice to know and I have often wanted to alert on high and or zero utilization but it is not obvious how to do it, like you are finding out.

I looked into data sources but they look like this "serial0/0 (2) @ router1 tx" and I don't know how you would use one in a function or a probe...
Maybe you can figure out how to use a data source in a probe?

All data sources can be seen by selecting chart, make a chart if you don't have one, click on + to add a new chart line then click on the edit all data sources (the "..." button). In there you can see a list of "interface @ devicename tx or rx" which is where I assume that you discovered how exactly the builtin source works."

nikc
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm

Another new Dude user ... nice thread this .... worried after reading it that MT arent that interested in Dude though :S