Community discussions

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: The Dude is back! v6.34rc test build released

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Probably a dumb question - but you are discussing this running on arm - you are talking about the client right?

Not the router, i.e. so the dude package will run on the rb3011 right?

I am, obviously, new to The Dude. Does anyone recommend a "newbie" guide or getting started post? I will begin here and search through the forums. I did find the Mikrotik Wiki on the new Dude. Just wondering if anyone had a great resource they would recommend.

Thanks in advance!
If you want to start with dude it is the safest way to install 4b3 in Windows environment. At least until the new ros dude package will be widely proven to be able to work correctly. Then you can move to it if you see it useful for you somehow.

foxch2
just joined

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 am

Hi all
i find a new little bug :)

then i remove probe RND50:50 from probes, and reconnect
he came back :)

6.34rc19

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:20 pm

@RackKing

For the time we will only have the dude server for previously mentioned ROS hosts. Time will tell if anything will change.

@foxch2

I have seen similar problem that sometimes changes are not being saved. However I haven't found a way to reproduce it. It tends to happen only now and then plus without any logic in actions that you perform in dude. Most probably if you will try it again the deletion of probe will be executed.

foxch2
just joined

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:59 pm

@foxch2

I have seen similar problem that sometimes changes are not being saved. However I haven't found a way to reproduce it. It tends to happen only now and then plus without any logic in actions that you perform in dude. Most probably if you will try it again the deletion of probe will be executed.
I tried several times, but he always comes back :)
I think it is not so critical

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:03 pm

I LOVE YOU MIKROTIK !!!

So far it works like a charm, I'm starting to test it thoroughly.

benjamimgois
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:30 pm

We have published the first public test of our restarted project The Dude. At the moment it is just a refreshed version of the same Dude software that we had in v4b3, but is adapted to work correctly with RouterOS v6 with a few minor changes in it. This will be a base on which we will start building The Dude for the future.

* The Dude server is now a RouterOS npk package that must be updated together with RouterOS
* The Dude client is pretty much the same as it was before just with server side removed. If it will detect that servers side is running newer version it will offer to update it self to matching version.

Removed features:
* Windows server
* Language selection for The Dude client
* Web interface

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude

I have being wainting to see this kind of message for 5 years ! Thankyou Mikrotik !! We all need it !

I´ll close the online petition now.
--
Telecomunications Engineer
Cisco CCNP, CCNA, CCDP, CCDA

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Very, very happy with this! I'm still using Dude and deploying new Dude installations and I couldn't believe a tool which stopped development 4 years ago is still so relevant and functions really well.

Keep up the great work
- No strings attached -

<< Please give good Karma if this post helped you. Press the + button above the Location entry

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:09 pm

Some update on your currently reported problems with The Dude test builds.

Some yet unconfirmed reports:
* Some add/remove actions are not written to memory and are not in place after
reconnect to the same dude server.

If anyone has managed to reproduce these and know exact steps on how to reproduce them please do share.

All entries below are already confirmed and reported to DEV for fixing.

Low priority problems:
* Leftovers of web interface configuration is not yet removed.
* In log settings configuration, sliders are broken.
* When opening panel in separate windows error pops up, it does not affect the usage tho.
* When changing icon appearance on network map dude does not assign right image in some cases.
* fix dude import for larger DB files. Import action times out in cli, but import anyhow finishes
successfully after a while.

Medium priority problems:
* Files cannot be uploaded to dude server by client software, transfer fails with status "invalid file"
* Any section export to CSV function broken, crashes the dude client
* If host has been assigned as parent it cannot be copied or deleted, action crashes the dude client
* Use of ping tool causes the dude client to disconnect.

Higher priority problems:
* Dude does not know how to show ROS version (broken due to changes in ROS, update needed)
* ROS upgrade function broken (probably wont work without fixing version displaying problem)
* Spectral scan may crash Dude client
* SNMP walk crashes the dude client

Enhancement requests:
* Auto-discovery automated lists should be separate for each network map.
* Add smtp authorization options in the dude

aTan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Is 2GB database size limit fixed?
It can be used on CCR, that is nice, but what about disk space? CCR has only 1GB (at least 1036 has) and flash is not good for heavy writes. Is it possible to store the Dude data to an external storage?

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Is 2GB database size limit fixed?
By what developer thinks on this topic is that 2GB DB limit might have been problem on on some FAT type formatted file systems. If you attach some storage that is formatted with EXT3 fs then it shouldn't be a problem.
It can be used on CCR, that is nice, but what about disk space? CCR has only 1GB (at least 1036 has) and flash is not good for heavy writes. Is it possible to store the Dude data to an external storage?
Why not? Just attach some USB hdd/ssd.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Th ... ge_DB_path

omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:28 pm

Congratulations for new version of Dude .

About 2GB limitation of DB , on Dude4.0beta3 i had this problem even in ROS v6.19 so the ext3 was not the solution .

Anything changed in new version ?
MTCNA , MTCRE, MTCWE, Mikrotik Certified Trainer

aTan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks.
What about CCR performance with the Dude? Is it multi threaded? Will it work well with a network of hundreds or thousands devices?

UPD: Another good feature would be vacuuming of the sqlite3 database.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm

As stated in the beginning. 6.34rc server works only with 6.34rc client. Fine. Now the situation:

Normally running 4b3 server for years in windows. Now I would like to check how it would run in ros. So I have installed 6.34rc19 on a device together with the dude package. Moved the dude store to second disk. Disconnected the client installed on my computer from the actually running server a tried to connect to new "testing" dude server.

I was asked to confirm the dude client to autoupgrade to version 6.34rc19. And then what? If I agree, I will not be able to connect to my productive dude server anymore or I will need to install / reinstall the client each time I want to log to the second server? Not handy.

Can I have both clients safely installed in one windows7 system?

KOPRajs
just joined

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi,
this is great news, thank you.

Please consider adding these to the wishlist:

Simple features:
1. access to maps image exports generated by default in /var/store/dude1/files/ (or better access to the whole dir)
2. regular export of devices (and possibly other sections) to csv or xml on the server (so it can be downloaded and used by external scripts)
3. running scripts on the server

More complex features:
1. native Linux support (remove dependency on ROS or help us create agent helper app by providing documentation, see this post: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 57#p507148)
2. optionally use external database (e.g. MySQL or PostgreSQL)
3. external API (this could solve many other feature requests such as exporting, making mobile clients, etc.)

Possible bugs:
1. can anybody confirm the bug in ping probe (showing either 0 or 10 ms in graph) known from 4.0beta3?
2. how about this SNMP bug (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43359)?

Thank you.
Last edited by KOPRajs on Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I already have asked for it: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 89#p510689

jphilbert
just joined

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Yes the new CHR limits the traffic that DUDE trys to create doing its tasks with in turn hampers snmp and other monitoring severally.
Well I just confirmed it ... DUDE on the free ROUTER OS is crippled because of the 1mbit traffic cap.

With well over 100 nodes with almost all doing snmp traffic graphs and other custom stuff limits its ability to properly monitor the network as I did with the 4.0beta until I can find a work around I cant use this version.

Do you mean in the new CHR?

Or are you saying there is now a 1Mbps routing limit on x86 Free license?

AFAIR x86 Free License has no routing performance limit, just the limited number of some other features. For CHR Mikrotik clearly announced a 1Mbps limit on that at the moment while they work on it and sort out licensing.

Regards
Alexander

compctech

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Very excited to see Dude being developed again.

My Wishlist:
WEB Interface: Need to be able to check the network status in the field. It is nice use my phone and VPN in check the status. This is the only thing that may keep my company from upgrading.

Will it work on a Level 1 licence with multiple clients logged-in?
Regards,
Compctech

spacemind
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:59 pm

"We are happy to announce that a new version of The Dude has been released, marking the restart of development of our free network monitoring utility.

From now on, the Dude server will run in RouterOS x86, CHR and CCR devices, downloads are available in the x86 and TILE sections of our download page http://www.mikrotik.com/download (RC section)"

WOW, A BIG THANK YOU TO MIKROTIK !!!

Sayajin
just joined

Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:48 pm

Please create an option to VACUUM & REINDEX the database

taduikis

Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:20 pm

First of all, congratulations, MikroTik! I was waiting for this day for quite some time now. And let me tell you why..

You have routers, switches, cpe's, ap's - basically almost everything small to medium size WISP needs. And The Dude is like a glue for all this MikroTik ecosystem. You can quickly access devices via winbox, monitor traffic, access terminal, use tools like torch, spectral scan, wireless scan, bandwidth test, etc in a very convenient way (and they all work via proprietary MT protocol, which I'm ok with, because you don't need to additionally configure anything since it ships prepared (at least it should in theory)). For those that are almost 100% MT based, this is an essential and extremely convenient tool that saves lots of effort and provides functionality that otherwise would have to be implemented via several different products, each with its own complexities and still wouldn't deliver the same convenience. It's tremendous advantage and one of the things that keep me loyal to MT. I'm so used to it, I can't imagine myself letting it go.

Here's the story of my Dude..

Even if it was considered abandonware, I'm still using The Dude till now. There are of course limitations and bugs, but somehow I've found ways of dealing with them and ended up quite happy. I've dropped the Windows based server long ago and for a few years I'm using x86 ROS running as Xen DomU guest. It's of course v5.26, since that was the last version that used to work with 4.0b3.. But it works like charm: counts uptime of almost 1.5 years now (got down only because of hardware upgrade), monitors >2000 devices, collects bandwidth data of wireless and ethernet links, sends emails, sms notifications and even calls my phone in case of critical emergencies. There are some wizardry done with vlans, bridges and interfaces, ending up with The Dude machine having filtered access to all the parts of the network it needs to access and monitor.

To address a couple of the requests made by others I have something to say:
- The Android/iOS version or implementation would be nice, but I think the Windows client version has to be mature in the first place. The same applies for web version. Even now you can permanently run The Dude client in a dedicated or virtual machine with Linux (via Wine) or even Windows and access it via VNC/RDP. If you're paranoid about security, VPNs and other tunneling options are there for you. In this modern age of large screen smartphones and LTE everywhere, it's quite good and convenient solution. I'm using it everyday and have nothing to complain about.
- If it saves MikroTik any effort and speeds up development, keep only ROS version of The Dude server-side. The quality shouldn't suffer from the desire to be universal.

And finally, my personal wishes and suggestions:
- Fix the 'export to file' in Windows client. Now the client crashes and fails to make an export on large Dude setups (though I see you added this function via cli, so it's probably going the right way);
- Fix the 32-bit only SNMP counters and do something to make it possible to collect RB260GS bandwidth graphs (again - MT ecosystem!);
- Upgrade winbox in The Dude or make it possible to drop in the latest winbox.exe ourselves;
- Make some user roles not only to limit changes to The Dude, but also for non-admin users not to be able to connect via winbox to ROS devices or even better - for different user groups to connect using different users in device's ROS (for example guest);
- Make the Dude server multi-threaded;

It's already a great piece of software, it needs so little to become even greater :)
Thanks for the great news again! Good luck :)

Netspeed
just joined

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:30 am

it is still inconvenient. But I can live with the old version, no problem. Since others are happy with the new direction
Just to add my penny's worth, Inconvenient is my situation too, Ill have to stick to the old version until a windows version is available again, I'm not about to get a x86 server just to run the Dude

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:11 am

You can run x86 virtually on the same windows you are running dude now. But I understand you as I am in the same situation.

49er

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:43 pm

I have two things,
1 reqeust
1) Is it possible to add authentication to email settngs.
Now it is not possible to configure email notifications when the server requires authentication.

2 question

2) Is it possible to use the Dude as syslog server for all our devices?
Must I send the syslog events to the Dude server?
Please some help.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:28 pm

I have two things,
1 reqeust
1) Is it possible to add authentication to email settngs.
Now it is not possible to configure email notifications when the server requires authentication.
We are aware of this enhancement request.
2 question
2) Is it possible to use the Dude as syslog server for all our devices?
Must I send the syslog events to the Dude server?
Please some help.
Wiki link:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:The_Dude_v6/Syslog
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Sy ... xy_logging

interprime
just joined

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Support IPv6 please!

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:49 pm

@taduikis
- Fix the 'export to file' in Windows client. Now the client crashes and fails to make an export on large Dude setups (though I see you added this function via cli, so it's probably going the right way);
If you mean DB import/export, then yes. It has been moved to ROS cli side.
- Fix the 32-bit only SNMP counters and do something to make it possible to collect RB260GS bandwidth graphs (again - MT ecosystem!);
Some examples please from recent build. DEV seems to remember such problem only from older v3 dude.

Regarding RB260, it has really week processor so it struggles with the dude probes. The device it self should be monitored with increased probe intervals. Links with SWoS devices should however be monitored from other side linked interface. Same problem applies there, the processor simply chokes on those requests from dude.
- Upgrade winbox in The Dude or make it possible to drop in the latest winbox.exe ourselves;
We will think about what to do with winbox in the dude client, dev is aware of this request.
- Make some user roles not only to limit changes to The Dude, but also for non-admin users not to be able to connect via winbox to ROS devices or even better - for different user groups to connect using different users in device's ROS (for example guest);
- Make the Dude server multi-threaded;
These ones are already for future the dude version, at this point we want to get it back running and deal with current bugs in it.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:54 pm

About 2GB limitation of DB , on Dude4.0beta3 i had this problem even in ROS v6.19 so the ext3 was not the solution .

I Have a setup working feeding the DB on one of my servers right now. Let's see if I manage to kill it when it grows to large. 8)

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:03 pm

@aTan
What about CCR performance with the Dude? Is it multi threaded? Will it work well with a network of hundreds or thousands devices?
The Dude server on ROS already can use at max load up to 3 cores. Provides us with some info on that we need more supouts from bigger setups and we'll check what more can we do.
I'll add this as enhancement request.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:09 pm

Yes the new CHR limits the traffic that DUDE trys to create doing its tasks with in turn hampers snmp and other monitoring severally.
Well I just confirmed it ... DUDE on the free ROUTER OS is crippled because of the 1mbit traffic cap.

With well over 100 nodes with almost all doing snmp traffic graphs and other custom stuff limits its ability to properly monitor the network as I did with the 4.0beta until I can find a work around I cant use this version.

Do you mean in the new CHR?

Or are you saying there is now a 1Mbps routing limit on x86 Free license?

AFAIR x86 Free License has no routing performance limit, just the limited number of some other features. For CHR Mikrotik clearly announced a 1Mbps limit on that at the moment while they work on it and sort out licensing.

Regards
Alexander
You can still use standard x86 ROS installation in some VM, just get free level 1 demo license level for the dude server. If should be perfect as there are no traffic limits there.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Li ... nse_Levels

snowy1364
just joined

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:30 pm

FYI

If any one wants to try a third party android client: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dude&hl=en

jmay

Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Holy crap Hell Froze over!! :D

Started browsing the forums because of a recent oddity with Dude 3.6 and discovered The Dude is being reincarnated. Cool.

I have no issue buying a router just for the Dude. What model would you suggest?

Also, with the current release is there a way to send text alerts? I cannot survive without those and currently have to use a 3rd party script with Dude 3.6 to make this happen.

syadnom

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:01 pm

any idea how to backup/restore? Those icons are gone from the client.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:16 pm

I love you Mikrotik for finally caving and restarting this project. We rely on it super heavily for our network management.

A few things I would love to have fixed.
  • Export / Import / Backups

Discovery / Scanning seems to hang on subnets for long periods of time if not indefinately. Needs a timeout so it doesnt have to be restarted daily to clear stuck scanning.

Needs ability to limit SNMP walk / or blacklist certain areas like massive BGP routing tables.

Provide json / api via http so we can get status updates on cell phones without having to run full dude client. With web interface going away we lose the ability to check number of units up / down in field on cell phone.

Discovery / scanning - with 50-100 subnets the interval always seems to get reset and then they all start scanning at the same time (as many threads as you allow) which causes lots of network activity ... have a way to randomize start times on subnet scanning, or a way to keep the times randomized if you manually configure them. After a restart it seems like they all start at 0:00 again and just start scanning.
Mikrotik - Thank You! Tully I owe you a big hug (I mean beer).

For those of you who can't run it on windows anymore, just install vmware player and virtualize it ... its free and works awesome. Been doing this for years now without any problems - plus that gives you a way to backup the entire image and roll back in case things get hosed.
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:28 pm

any idea how to backup/restore? Those icons are gone from the client.
that part is now done in ROS cli;
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Th ... ort_export

Nedialko
just joined

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:28 pm

Bug report.
On fresh install on CCR1036, whit one added device, when make snmp walk TheDude server crash every time.
When import my 420mb *.xml configuration, all custom snmp function not work too.

triac
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Email - Sends email, need to specify Server address. Authentication not supported.

smtp authentication support add please
Paolo Torri

taduikis

Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:14 pm

Some examples please from recent build. DEV seems to remember such problem only from older v3 dude.

Regarding RB260, it has really week processor so it struggles with the dude probes. The device it self should be monitored with increased probe intervals. Links with SWoS devices should however be monitored from other side linked interface. Same problem applies there, the processor simply chokes on those requests from dude.
Wow, thanks! I increased the probe interval and immediately got some nice smooth graphs! Sometimes only a small communication is needed to resolve a problem :) Regarding 32-bit counters, well yeah, my bad then. I somehow thought it was the cause for bad RB260 probes.
These ones are already for future the dude version, at this point we want to get it back running and deal with current bugs in it.
Ok there, no rush guys. It's great even as it is and knowing it's going to become better gives even more joy :)

buset1974
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:40 pm

please make dude can monitor vrf network.
right now dude only work and monitor network on main routing-mark.
so when we configure mikrotik for mpls or vrf environment dude only works and monitor host that on main routing mark.
for example if we put dude on PE, dude cannot monitor any host/network on CPE.

thx

AiroSam
just joined

Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Thank you Mikrotik for bringing back the Dude support! It is much appreciated.

Minor bug report: Right-clicking on a Network Map and selecting "Open Separately" will open the Map for a split second, but then it is minimized and a small window pops up that just says "Error not implemented".

The Map still opens and is viewable, but that Error windows never appeared before the update.

Glad to see that the ping crash problem and smtp server authentication are already being taken care of. Thanks again!

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:08 am

"You can still use standard x86 ROS installation in some VM, just get free level 1 demo license level for the dude server. If should be perfect as there are no traffic limits there.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Li ... nse_Levels"

Clicking that link there;s a link that says registration which brings you to the normal download page and there is nothing there to register anything?

I am obviously missing something, what is it please?

Thanks leon

iam8up

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:18 am

We really need the web interface back!!! Even if it were simply only read only that would be sufficient for our needs.

uenderson
just joined

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:25 pm

Support IPv6 please!
any estimate of when it will be deployed to support IPv6?

jebz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:46 pm

"You can still use standard x86 ROS installation in some VM, just get free level 1 demo license level for the dude server. If should be perfect as there are no traffic limits there.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Li ... nse_Levels"

Clicking that link there;s a link that says registration which brings you to the normal download page and there is nothing there to register anything?

I am obviously missing something, what is it please?

Thanks leon
Create a Mikrotik account - https://www.mikrotik.com/client/
Install a x86 ROS in a VM.
Run the virtual ROS and on the menu go to System, License and copy the "Software ID".
Then login to your Mikrotik and click on create a Demo Key - https://www.mikrotik.com/client/?ecom=key&demoKeyAct=1

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:45 am

How about solving email sending from dude? Ssl/tls, and all other modern stuff, so we can use for ex. gmail...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HiltonT
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:17 am

Hi Mikrotik Team (and others using the existing version)

At the moment I (and a number of people I work with) use Dude 4.0B3 on RB450G units as dedicated low power local monitoring units in locations. These are running only the Dude and have a MicroSD card inside them for storage. Also as CCR's have begun to replace 1100AHx2 and 1200 devices I would love to be able to move these into service as Dude nodes.

I know this would be more development work for the team however I have found the 450G platform has plenty of power to run a reasonably sized node and I believe the PPC devices could likewise provide a fantastic platform and continue to make use of this hardware going forward.

If other people currently use the 450G and its ilk or have a number of PPC units they want to press into additional service and would see serious use from the Dude then please bring your use cases into a new Dude topic on use cases for other hardware platforms and hopefully we can make a compelling case for inclusion.

I can understand completely why MIPSLE may not be a good candidate for this development effort and the SMIPS platform as well, but to me the new ARM (3011) PPC (1100, 1000, 1200, 850) and MIPSBE (450, 2011) make brilliant monitoring and network administration boxes that work wonderfully for the Dude.

I know myself I use 1100AHx2 units and 450G units as network access gateways coming from the NOC, in datacentres there will be standard routers for user / public traffic and then one of the above units (depending on site size etc) with ports into various switchports / network segments and making use of VLANS and direct connections to provide an inbound direct NOC route into each L2 domain. These boxes are ex network routers which have been replaced or upgraded and have plenty of cycles free to run the dude.

Please consider adding ARM, PPC, and MIPSBE into the supported architectures for Dude ROS Package.

Regards
Alexander
Oh, I'm so with you here. I run a small IT consulting company where I consult to a number of SMB clients. I am putting MikroTik MIPSBE devices in these client sites (as gateway routers as well as for their internal Wi-Fi access points) as there is no need (and no budget) for the TILE-based units. Most of these clients have the RB2011, CRS or RB950G units in place.

By removing the Windows Server and making the Dude only run on the higher-end MikroTik products, you have effectively destroyed my ability to monitor my client networks remotely. I currently have a Dude 4.0B3 Server running as a service on a Windows Server at each client site, acting as an Agent, and my office-based Dude Server (Windows) would then connect via these Agents and allow me to monitor all of my client sites. With this new release of The Dude, this whole scenario looks to be impossible - especially for smaller clients with around a dozen or fewer devices and no virtualization in place (often, not even an on-premises server). :(

I'm going to try and see if I can get a similar result from running a RouterOS x86 instance in a Hyper-V environment and running The Dude Server on that instead of the Windows Server. If this works, then that would be fine for our bigger sites (we run Hyper-V here and at our client sites, not VMWare - mostly Hyper-V on 2012 R2 Server) and we'll be able to re-deploy our The Dude setup using this method once the new version stabilizes. It won't be fine for our smaller sites - it will mean they need to now go unmonitored, which is not nice. :(

If anyone else out there in Tikland runs a similar setup, let me know and we can discuss options on/off list. I trust that I'm not the only person in this situation and that we can all move forward with MikroTik and The Dude and monitor our clients successfully (and yes, agreeing with someone else's post, I'd like to see a little more NMS rather than simple monitoring from The Dude down the track, but for now, I just want to see the functionality we had restored for SMB clients, even if we need to deploy a Router OS VM on Hyper-V to get there).

:)
Regards,
Hilton Travis

wa4zlw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:10 am

ok thanks for the bandaid on using the x86

still prefer windows server.

Leon

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:07 am

Hello, here are a few observations and thoughts for Dude:

Fix request: DIsplay and monitoring of 10 GBit interfaces - interface maximum speed is limited at about 4 GBit in Dude at the moment. Please increase this limit. Also a link profile for 10 GBit links added by default.

Feature request: Update icons for devices in Dude. Maybe have the correct icon for the actual MikroTik hardware model displayed by default, as detected by probe(s).

Feature request: Add to RouterOS device icon an indicator that a software update is available to download.

TonyJr

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:55 am

I Have a setup working feeding the DB on one of my servers right now. Let's see if I manage to kill it when it grows to large. 8)
So far mentioned test dude db has grown slightly larger than 3GB. No side effects or crashes so far.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Minor bug report: Right-clicking on a Network Map and selecting "Open Separately" will open the Map for a split second, but then it is minimized and a small window pops up that just says "Error not implemented".

The Map still opens and is viewable, but that Error windows never appeared before the update.
Reproduced and reported to DEV for fixing.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Fix request: DIsplay and monitoring of 10 GBit interfaces - interface maximum speed is limited at about 4 GBit in Dude at the moment. Please increase this limit. Also a link profile for 10 GBit links added by default.r
Reported to DEV for fixing:
* Add default 10G link type to dude
* link label fix to show ~10G link traffic correctly.
Feature request: Update icons for devices in Dude. Maybe have the correct icon for the actual MikroTik hardware model displayed by default, as detected by probe(s).
TonyJr
We will check what newer images we could add to dude at some point.