Community discussions

rwf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

New Dude- effects on Hotspot performance CC1009-8G-1S+1S+PC

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:58 pm

I am glad to see this renewed development and a new version of the Dude. We run many hotspots and almost all of them on RB750. We have a few on RB2011l. Our biggest site only has about 50-50 hotspot users logged in at the same time. Most have about 20-25.

We have been running The Dude on them as well, although they really seem to have a performance hit that way. I'm talking about a 60 Mb/s WAN feed turns into 24 Mbps or LESS on the hotspot side. And of course the inability to add the Dude to the tile series has been a big problem to keeping us from upgrading.

This performance hit had led us to considering switching the hotspots to mini ITX motherboard PCs and running x86 Mikrotik on them just to get the better performance, and of course, The Dude.,

Here's my question- if I switch to the CC1009-8G-1S+1S+PC and add The Dude, will I see this performance hit any longer? If all I gain is The Dude, it isn't worth it. But if I get performance that yields the same speed on both the WAN and LAN sides of the hotspot, it is a no-brainer.

I need to purchase this gear by the end of 2015, so I'd appreciate all input, even though the CCR/Dude combination is brand new. What are people seeing?

Thanks

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: New Dude- effects on Hotspot performance CC1009-8G-1S+1S+PC

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:44 pm

With CCR you shouldn't notice any impact from the dude server running on it even if your WAN service would provide full 1Gbps maxed out by those hotspot clients. CCR1009 is fairly more powerful device than RB2011 or RB750 so you don't have to worry for lack processing power for that kind of setups.

Although take in note that new the Dude is still fairly fresh so we still have much to fix/add in it.

rwf
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: New Dude- effects on Hotspot performance CC1009-8G-1S+1S+PC

Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:07 pm

Thank you Krisjanis.
Once we determined that the version mentioned (+pc)was not full rack width and will in fact fit in my outdoor enclosures, I just ordered 2 of them to test. They should arrive tomorrow.
If they work as you say, I will order lots more by end of 2015.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:23 pm

You should wait a bit as dude is running in 6.34rc only which is not recommended to be used on productive devices (it is 6.32.3 actually) and the dude v6 is not yet on the level of dude 4b3. It will take its time so don't hurry.