Community discussions

AzAel76
just joined
Topic Author

Agent Only package for other achitecures

Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:56 am

Very happy to see the Dude being developed again. However, I run quite a few "agents" at remote sites behinf rb2011's, usually on old laptops etc.. With the dropping of windows versions and native packages for tilera and x86, chr only kinda of leaves these sites out in the lurch.

I could run a vm on the remote laptops, and there is also the option of setting up a management vpn for all the sites but i like idea of an integrated server/client solution.

A specific package that can relay or store and forward monitoring data from that network.
It could be leveraged to behave as a "relay" or "gateway" for the dudes built in tools. Something that i have not seen working with the 3.6/4.0b3 setup.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Agent Only package for other achitecures

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:34 am

Why not to push to get fully featured dude at least for mipsbe and probably for arm too? And PPC if others do use it a lot?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Agent Only package for other achitecures

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:07 am

Probably some people are worried about wearing of the flash memory when using a router as a database server.
Maybe in case of dedicated router it should be mandatory to use external USB as storage?

AzAel76
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 am

I wouldn't expect, that if it was behaving as a "relay", it would be required to write to flash very often. My agent installations of The Dude are doing that at the moment.

In fact the TheDude server process at one of my remote sites has nothing added to it and doesn't seem to be logging anything locally. Disk activity for that process is basically 0. Yet using that remote Dude install as an agent i have 20 items for that location on my primary Dude server.

I think the mechanism is already there and would like to see it split off into a separate standalone package that can be used on mips/arm etc now that the full dude package won't be.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:35 am

There is also a question of development, as far as i know developing something on 1 or 2 platforms are much more easier that developing it on all platforms at once. With the current choices MT doesn't have package size or memory usage restrictions, so much more "breathing room" to develop.

I'm more interested into getting ROMON integration , then i can run Dude from main office to any remote small network that features only Mipsbe boards.
Also CAPSMAN support is one of the thing i need.

Sorry but other arhitecture support is way,way down on my list of needs.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

syadnom

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:01 pm

The dude agent already exists and the new version isn't that much of a departure from the old. This is a much needed option for a lot of people.

syadnom

Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 am

I agree, this is much needed. I do see a beta on ARM, but the cheapest ARM box is the 3011...

I've been lucky enough that I could drop in a CHR on existing VM infrastructure, but I really need a cheap dude agent on MIPS like we've had in the past.

Thanks.

syadnom

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 am

Any chance for an update here? Having to hunt for old versions and running MIPS routerboards with outdated firmware to fill this gap...

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:13 pm

We have some plans for this spot, but nothing that I can reveal right now.

Before that I hope that we can get all currently reported problems with agent feature sorted out.

syadnom

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:09 am

any updates?  dude v4.0b3 wont run on anything new so I'm really stuck here.