Community discussions

MikroTik App

persian
just joined
Topic Author

Can i run Dude server on ESXi?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:58 am

since I cannot have Dude server on my RB1100 is there any OVF template version of Mikrotik CHR that I can run it on my ESXi server and config my Dude on it?

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Can i run Dude server on ESXi?

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:51 pm

Use CHR image for that. It also has dude package already in it.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR

pyjamasam
just joined

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:13 pm

I have just downloaded the X86 ISO and installed it. You have to create the VM and such (not as quick as deploying an OVF/OVA), but it has worked great for network.

chris.

persian
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 am

Use CHR image for that. It also has dude package already in it.

But there is no OVF template of CHR images!!!

persian
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 am

I have just downloaded the X86 ISO and installed it. You have to create the VM and such (not as quick as deploying an OVF/OVA), but it has worked great for network.

chris.
is there any way to convert it to OVF? I need to have it on ESXi

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:42 am

ATM you need for first run it on other WMWare software and then transfer it to ESXi.

Quote from wiki:

Adding CHR on ESXi:
There is a known problem that self-installer image is not properly starting on the ESXi. At this moment you have to use other VMS (e.g. VMWare Workstation) to run the self-installer image available on the download page, afterwords transfer the image to the ESXi host and add it as a hard disk drive to the ESXi guest.

persian
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:06 am

ATM you need for first run it on other WMWare software and then transfer it to ESXi.

Quote from wiki:

Adding CHR on ESXi:
There is a known problem that self-installer image is not properly starting on the ESXi. At this moment you have to use other VMS (e.g. VMWare Workstation) to run the self-installer image available on the download page, afterwords transfer the image to the ESXi host and add it as a hard disk drive to the ESXi guest.
Thank you it worked for me. But why 1Mbps limitation on CHR images? when dude client attempts to connect to dude server it stuck on get stuff. is it possible to rise this limitation? lets say 5Mbps :-)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:41 am

1Mbit limit is only when you have no license. Apply for 60 day trial to remove limit, or make a purchase for the cheapest license.

pyjamasam, Do not use the x86 image, it has no drivers for virtual systems. Use CHR only

pyjamasam
just joined

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Hmm. X86 seamed to work fine for me, but who am I to not listen to normis.

- Downloaded the CHR vmdk
- Created a new VM in vmware fusion with said vmdk as the disk.
- Booted to perform the install
- Backed up old dude server settings and dude DB
- Restored settings on new dude server and imported DB
- Shut the vm down
- Used Fusion to "Upload to server" (its a right click option in fusion - and workstation I believe) to push the VM to my esxi box (this is the equivalent to producing an OVA and copying it to the server.)
- Booted and away we go.

I didn't realize the free licence impacted the dude's network traffic. Good to know, I'll have to grab one of the $45 licences for it.

chris.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:48 pm

x86 works virtualized well for me too. What drivers am I missing?

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:23 am

@pyjamasam

If CHR is running free license it limits each interface traffic to 1M.

@jarda

* Synthetic interface support for various VMs like VMWare and Hyper-V specific ones.
* Some VM disk type support.
* 64bit kernel.

zandhaas
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Since a couple of weeks I'm a Mikrotik user.

I have one RB750Gr3 as a router and a HAP-ac2 as WIFI AccessPoint. I don't want to use these two device for other tasks.
That's why I installed a free CHR version as a DUDE server as a VM on a Synology 918+ in a home environment. (<25 devices).

When I check the interface use during normal operation I see transfer rates with a maximum far below the 100kb/s.
When I start the DUDE client on my laptop it takes a while for it has fetched all data (the transfer rate on the interface maximises to 1 Mb/s), but for me that's no problem.
Sofar I'm happy with the Mikrotik solutions..

yabdali
just joined

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:01 pm

I have one RB750Gr3 as a router and a HAP-ac2 as WIFI AccessPoint. I don't want to use these two device for other tasks.
That's why I installed a free CHR version as a DUDE server as a VM on a Synology 918+ in a home environment. (<25 devices).

When I check the interface use during normal operation I see transfer rates with a maximum far below the 100kb/s.
When I start the DUDE client on my laptop it takes a while for it has fetched all data (the transfer rate on the interface maximises to 1 Mb/s), but for me that's no problem.
Hi,
Can you please share some details on your Synology set up for the Dude? I have RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and have ordered DS718+ which is somehow identical to your 918+. I would really appreciate if you can share the set-up steps. Also, did you use a dedicated LAN port for the CHR instance or it was the same port used to access your common Mikrotik network? Thanks in advance

yabdali
just joined

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:55 pm

What file system did you use to configure the CHR VM?