Community discussions

MikroTik App

fenek96
just joined
Topic Author

Web Server on ROS X86

Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:18 am

Do you know anything about starting a web server for the dude on the machines with ROS . I have a x86 server is running ROS and unfortunately you can not or do not know where to run a web server . Previously, I had WindowsXP with a dude and a running web server . Regards

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Web Server on ROS X86

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:20 am

you cant run a standalone webserver in mikrotik. You can however use metarouter to run webserver - but this will not be a good soulution. Have an own device - can be cheep like rapsberry pi etc, and run a standalone webserver. PS! If you have an old 532 - you can install debian etc, if you just "must" run mikrotik webserver. (but then no dude)

simobeliata
just joined

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:52 am

On Windows the Dude was at the same time server and client. So it was able to render the map and to show it trough WEB. But now the server is only database (I suppose) and the client application is responsible for rendering the image of the map (and all interface).
So it is impossible (for now) to have web interface for Dude. The developers should say the final words :)

fenek96
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:22 pm

I have applications on android which connects to the Dead and shows whether there are any problems on the network but connects to the web server pipes . Maybe it's time for the customer dude for android ?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:58 am

Dude can export map images to disk. I used this with old Dude 4.x on Windows, to make them accessible using external web server. And yes, it was perfect as a simple alternative to Dude for <whatever unsupported device>.
MikroTik could easily allow the same on RouterOS, even though Dude's own web server was removed. Just make exported maps accessible using web server in RouterOS. I asked for this right after new Dude 6.x was released, but I did not check lately if I was lucky to get it added.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:15 am

Just make exported maps accessible using web server in RouterOS. I asked for this right after new Dude 6.x was released, but I did not check lately if I was lucky to get it added.
it's not there. but i guess _if_ you can export maps to the HDD in CHR/ROSx68, enable SMB and fire up a small unix distort with thttpd/ngix running on it next to the ROS VM, mount the shared directory and there you go.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:38 am

It was officially stated that Web interface in dude 6 was removed. May happen it will be installed back in the future if we will push for it enough. At least I hope because I am missing it too.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:31 pm

Good idea about SMB, I tested it and it works. Even better, I found out that FTP now can also be used to access exported maps. So it's even possible to directly embed them in web page. It's not ideal, because password is sent in plaintext and even read-only user can access almost everything else on disk, but sometimes it might be useable.
Hopefully in the future, MikroTik will add optional symlink to make Dude's files directory accessible also using RouterOS web server. Moving exported maps to dedicated subdirectory and making only that accessible would not hurt either.

pukka
just joined

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi All,

Is they anyway to script the export of the image to a folder?

Thanks
Paul