MikroTik App

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Most simple / cheapest HW for the Dude

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:14 am

Hi All,

Which Mikrotik HW model is the best, cheapest to run The Dude server package? I want to add such a device so that I can connect to it from a Windows machine in the network and monitor the status of all the Mikrotik devices (only 4 for now but will add more in the near future) in my network. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Most simple / cheapest HW for the Dude

Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 am

Dude has changed and is not stable/mature enough. Keep your old version running on windows so far. For cheap testing the new dude version use chr. Cheapest hardware is rb3011, I would say.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks for your feedback. Does the Windows version still do the job and can monitor the different newest Mikortik devices?

I was not able to find the Windows version of the Dude on the Mikrotek web-site. So do you recommend to download it from another site?

For example from: http://downloads.tomsguide.com/The-Dude,0301-30734.html ? And is V3.6 the correct version?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:03 am

Maybe you should not search for "Mikrotek" but for "Mikrotik" :-)

Many people still use 3.6. I moved years ago from 3.6 to 4.0b3. Even it is "beta" it works well.
You can get it here:
http://download.mikrotik.com/dude/4.0be ... 0beta3.exe
I thought you already have it running...

Anyway, try the latest 6.x version in CHR, it is quite promising, especially by the fact it runs on ROS again and you can easily virtualize it in CHR. And you can run it for free, if the 1Mbit/s maximal tx speed per interface of CHR is not limiting you. If yes, register trial license - also for free.

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 am

Thanks for your feedback, I'm relatively new to the entire Mikrotik product line. Same for the CHR solution. I understand I can run this for free if I accept the 1mbit per interface limitation. But where do I install this CHR solution? Really in the cloud? Or on a VM located in my own network? And if in the cloud how is the Dude server software connecting to my Mikrotik devices?

I will look into the 4.0 beta windows version as well. Thanks for the download link.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:24 am

Why not to read the manual first?

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CHR

rgroothuis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 am

Again thanks for your feedback. Of course I went through that manual. I will not ask questions if they are explained in the manual.

What I'm missing is some explanation on how/where to install that CHR solution. The name suggests it is a Cloud Based solution, this brings up a whole lot of other questions. What is a good hosting company, how is the cloud server connected to my Mikrotik devices. This is NOT something that is explained in the manual/guidelines. Hence my question.

Hope you understand.

Anyway I'm experimenting with the WIndows version. And also if I go with the newer releases I will install a VM in my local network.

mmandrino
just joined

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Well maybe you missed this part: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CH ... nstall_CHR

You install it on a VM!!! There is support for different supervisors, I made it work on XENserver.

As I can see amazon web services is also supported. But now sure how external monitoring works, especially if your up-link fails.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:04 pm

It is definitely explained in the manual - where and how to install.
:-)
Read it...